Old 02-03-2024, 11:23 PM   #21
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,080 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: Entry level class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 944 View Post
You guys are funny, the only real entry-level class now is super comp
And as for taking away throttle stops, big motors, and all that crap you’re delusional they run an 11 50 850, and 10 flat class with no electronic help and hardly ever get very many cars. They even tried to run those classes at Nhra divisionals a few times what a joke so don’t think that’s gonna happen. We race by NHRA rules that’s it. Of course I want the best car within the rules. If you don’t like it, don’t play.

Super Comp is entry level?
Liked
Old 02-03-2024, 11:32 PM   #22
M120

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Entry level class?

Quote:
And as for taking away throttle stops, big motors, and all that crap you’re delusional they run an 11 50 850, and 10 flat class with no electronic help and hardly ever get very many cars. They even tried to run those classes at Nhra divisionals a few times what a joke so don’t think that’s gonna happen. We race by NHRA rules that’s it. Of course I want the best car within the rules. If you don’t like it, don’t play.
Fwiw, I liked index racing. Had fun and I had friends racing Outlaw10.5.
I used to drive by Atco to go to Cecil for the SSCS.

I didn't build the car for index but fit the rules and could be .000 on .500 PT.
With ATI contingency it was $750 for a win for $50 entry.
I'd run PD as well. Go some rounds and get money back. Runner up'd there was my best there.

Not sure on any plans for racing in the future. It was nice having a track one mile away.
FLC!
Old 02-03-2024, 11:50 PM   #23
Randy Wells

Liked 990 Times in 302 Posts

I/Stock, quit counting at 50K and still looking for more. I do 95% of the work, have at least 5k of parts that didn't work, or didnt fit, goal is to qualify top 10 on ladder, did it in Denver then had tranny problems, another 7k spent . Nothing cheap about Stock.
Probably would of been cheaper to buy a factory car by the time I am done. Thank God I don't gamble , drink or do drugs one bad habbit is enough, I still fish. lol.

Randy Wells
I/S 5628

Last edited by Randy Wells; 02-04-2024 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:25 AM   #24
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
A lot of the kids aging out of Juniors don't want a door car.
Liked
Old 02-04-2024, 09:12 AM   #25
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,661 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Alan, I don’t believe any NHRA based class is entry-level, although for the cost and what I’ve seen I do believe super comp would be a less expensive class for a total start-up
like Reagan said most of the kids coming out of Jr dragsters don’t want a door car.
of course they don’t want an old dragster with a small block that can barely run 890 or a door car that can barely run 1090 they’re entitled to better. lol
Old 02-04-2024, 09:21 AM   #26
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,661 Times in 526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M120 View Post
Fwiw, I liked index racing. Had fun and I had friends racing Outlaw10.5.
I used to drive by Atco to go to Cecil for the SSCS.

I didn't build the car for index but fit the rules and could be .000 on .500 PT.
With ATI contingency it was $750 for a win for $50 entry.
I'd run PD as well. Go some rounds and get money back. Runner up'd there was my best there.

Not sure on any plans for racing in the future. It was nice having a track one mile away.
FLC!
You are correct it’s a lot of fun, I had a 67 Dodge that I ran in the 1150 index class when I wasn’t running super Street or super gas somewhere. I won quite a few times and it was a different way of racing. No doubt but winners will win and people will find a way to cheat in those classes too. My whole response about those classes was that it didn’t or wouldn’t replace super street someone on here was bashing super Street for going overboard with motors, electronics, etc. basically saying it was time for no electronic classes, that is not a replacement just a different style. I like all of them and play by their rules that guy just needs to understand when they make rules you play by them don’t try to change them because you don’t like them.
And for what it’s worth stock is not an entry-level class either. they just need to stop all the enhancements, etc. etc. leave things the way they are if anybody wants to come in they’ll have to do it like everybody else get a car, work on it, pick a class and go racing. We should all be glad the classes that are there now are there so we can all enjoy
Old 02-04-2024, 09:33 AM   #27
Paul Merolla

Liked 232 Times in 57 Posts

We see this term, "Entry Level" come up over and over on this site...what does it actually mean?
Other than a handful of times racing in Trophy with my street car, I had never entered a drag race before starting in Stock.
It just depends what you want to do, how bad you want it, how much knowledge and skill you possess, and how much money you can spend. If you don't have enough of any of those, it's going to take some time to gather resources.
Does "Entry Level" mean that anyone can wake up one day and decide they want to race NHRA, go get whatever equipment they can get their hands on, and be competitive that weekend? If so, it doesn't exist...in drag racing, or any other form of competition, there is a learning curve.
If I was going to label any class in drag racing Entry Level, it would be one of the bracket classes like Trophy or Sportsman...but even in those classes, when you show up for the first time, everyone else is going to be better than you!
Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #28
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Alan, I don’t believe any NHRA based class is entry-level, although for the cost and what I’ve seen I do believe super comp would be a less expensive class for a total start-up
like Reagan said most of the kids coming out of Jr dragsters don’t want a door car.
of course they don’t want an old dragster with a small block that can barely run 890 or a door car that can barely run 1090 they’re entitled to better. lol

I understand that may be where kids from Jr. Dragster go (and they're used to expensive cars there, too), my point was Super Comp is mostly populated with $50K+ 4 link dragsters, with $30K+ 598 big block Chevy engines, $4K PowerGlides, and $5K of electronics and throttle stops. Hardly "entry level".
Old 02-04-2024, 10:05 AM   #29
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:

You failed to read what was written. No one proposed changing the rules in Super Street. We merely stated what kept the class from being "entry level". No one suggested taking anything away from anyone. A couple of people said it would be more entry level IF some things were changed. No one suggested the should, must, or would be changed. In fact, I specifically stated I was not proposing a single rule change, that it wasn't a class I was involved with in any serious way, and I had no standing to make such a proposal.
Liked
Old 02-04-2024, 10:06 AM   #30
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,558 Times in 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Someone just recently posted on another thread that Stock is an "entry level class".
Is there even such a thing in the NHRA anymore? I know Stock definitely isn't.
Super Street? Hardly. JR. Dragster? Yeah, right. Maybe at the local tracks the Street Bracket program (ironically called Sportsmen) could be considered entry level but nothing at the Div. or Natl. level.
Any thoughts?
It pays the least to win at nationals so it must be entry level!
Closed Thread