Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #21
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,957 Times in 1,569 Posts
Default Re: Shipping weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Billy its not 1975 anymore. Eliminating shipping weights is way different then asking for carbon fiber hoods and doors. I agree let tech get hard on a ballast max weight, make sure that racers are following the 100 total lbs weight box rule. Just enforce the current weight rules. But at the end of the day its has to be easier in NHRA and the racer for this class to make it. The days of 15 plus NHRA tech guys that an event know the STK/SS rules front and back are over and never coming back.
Charlie Bob, I'm going to try and make this as simple as I can for guys like you and Gaffney ( who BTW doesn't run in Stock) to understand, in 1975, you had to use a for real "stock" cam. That went away, we went to "stock" lift, any duration because there weren't enough Tech inspectors who knew how to check a cam. Then, we had to change the valve spring rule because the "stock" springs wouldn't follow the square cams that were suddenly "stock". Then, because we were blowing up all of our "stock" motors from the RPM that we could now turn, we were allowed pistons, valves, rods, and cranks made by the aftermarket for our "stock" motors. Then, we were allowed aluminum heads, blocks and cranks because all of the "stock" stuff was too hard to find (B.S.).
Are you getting my drift here? I will guarantee you that if you do away with shipping weights, there will be a push for light weight stuff within a couple of years. It's what Racers do.

What is "NORMAL"???

Last edited by Billy Nees; 02-13-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:47 PM   #22
Bill Grubbs

Liked 461 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Null View Post
(1) You can only have 100lbs of loose ballast including weight box, if your attaching more than 400lbs to the frame you should be in a upper class. (2) You can ask for fiberglass hoods and doors with or without shipping weights and I’m sure the answer is going to be a No. Modified, FGT and GT have no shipping weights and bracket 2 has not been called to the lanes. I had the same fears as others when the did away with shipping weights in GT, nothing has changed just made more guys happy.
and made others unhappy.

If you want no shipping weights then run the superstock classes of Modified, FGT and GT. Leave the rest of Stock and Superstock alone!

Quit all the rule changes...and the proposed rule changes!

If you don't like the rules then run the local associations and change their rules. Heck, Charlie, you have the power to change the GLSSA rules.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS/GSI View Post
1. Get rid of ALL shipping weights...if you can fit between the max and min for the class your in!

2. Get rid of all 1/2 lbs weight breaks and make ALL classes 1# weight breaks. More cars per class, more chances of heads ups and less classes to manage for NHRA. Perhaps this might entice manufacturers to come back to sponsor class runoffs? If not, at least it will minimize the mathematics for all involved.

3. Combine stick and auto. Automatic transmissions and convertor technology has come along ways in the last two decades. This again would streamline our classes and allow for more heads ups and less for NHRA to manage. It seems to be working in the FS, FSS and FGT classes.

If we are going to use forward thinking to resolve issues within the organization, then mean it...LOOK FORWARD!!! not just in the now. Rip this whole deal off like a Band-Aid, give everyone this season to make the necessary adjustments and there will be no more arguments...well other than AHFS but that's another thread! LOL
1. Knock yourself out if you want it in SS. SS needs more SS/GT/Comp cars.

2. Sounds good to me in Stock and SS. BUT it should probably be put to a vote. A real vote. Too many Racers will be affected to not. With 1 lb. classes, the higher classes in Stock would be a real bloodbath.

3.This sounds good to me too. It should have been done when NHRA instituted the AHFS.

Oh, wait a minute, you apparently have issues with the AHFS too! Are you one of those WOKE people?

What is "NORMAL"???

Last edited by Billy Nees; 02-13-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:10 PM   #24
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Billy I am going to make it simple as well. We are not going back in time. Those were great racing times no question. But time doesn’t stand still and some old rules need to change with time and technology.
I for one am glad haft of those old stocker rules like valve spring pressure are gone.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #25
Herbie Null

Liked 286 Times in 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grubbs View Post
and made others unhappy.

If you want no shipping weights then run the superstock classes of Modified, FGT and GT. Leave the rest of Stock and Superstock alone!

Quit all the rule changes...and the proposed rule changes!

If you don't like the rules then run the local associations and change their rules. Heck, Charlie, you have the power to change the GLSSA rules.
You do realize we are only trying to help out people, if the postponement of the correct shipping weights come out in 2023 then have at it. I’m good the way it is, I just have friends in stock that I don’t want to see their combo gone.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:22 PM   #26
Charley Downing

Hard to believe Grubbs wants the rule to stay the same. If no shipping weights are used Everyone with C and B stocker will be ditching weight to get to AA and A and they won’t be able to bracket race in AA anymore. Once again it’s what’s good for them not the class
Old 02-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #27
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
We are not going back in time. But time doesn’t stand still and some old rules need to change with time and technology.
If Stock and SS don't start rolling back some new rules that have changed to make Racers with "new" combos happy then we will soon see "new" combos running what will be essentially ET-2 but is called Stock and the older combos will be running nostalgia stuff.

What is "NORMAL"???
Old 02-13-2022, 07:39 PM   #28
Bill Grubbs

Liked 461 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Hard to believe Grubbs wants the rule to stay the same. If no shipping weights are used Everyone with C and B stocker will be ditching weight to get to AA and A and they won’t be able to bracket race in AA anymore. Once again it’s what’s good for them not the class
🙄

Charley come on in… the waters plenty deep.
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #29
Charley Downing

I’m to fat to get my 69 camaro to AA. But if they would let new and old cars race in regular stock I’m in for AA with my CJ
Old 02-13-2022, 11:24 PM   #30
B Parker

Liked 2,325 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
I’m to fat to get my 69 camaro to AA. But if they would let new and old cars race in regular stock I’m in for AA with my CJ
Charley let Paul's wife run the car I'm sure it would fit.

Bill I would love to run AA/SA. If we use the logic that some on here have used, I would be a shoe in. I also put light weight seats in my car, took out the rear seat, use light weight rear and tires, no exhaust system, light weight wheels, aluminum radiator, plus a lot more weight removed. Why shouldn't my car get the same gift the 2015 Camaro's got. Then I could fit in AA/SA.

Darren, your cars run my class and I thought it was a chitty deal right from the start. Between the factory bogus HP and using the wrong shipping weight. I do want to see the newer cars in Stock and know it's a tough deal to make them work with the right shipping weight, but it doesn't make it right. I can forget the whole deal if you take the block from under Jeff's gas pedal and he runs the car all out at Gainesville. BP

PS let me know what run so I can watch. LOL

Last edited by B Parker; 02-14-2022 at 09:59 AM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked