Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock/Superstock Association Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Hildebrandt View Post
Put me down for support of this assoc. although I am up in Calgary I have no problem towing down to Spokane , going to be there for the divisional next weekend!
I got to thinking after the divisional race this week-end, I recall a couple of IHRA Crate Motor stockers up in your neck of the woods racing at Edmonton. If we are to get this Stock/SS association put together, we would want to make sure the IHRA Stockers are welcome as well.

I also got some good feedback at the division race that if we actually put on our event between some of the divisional, national event or national open races when some of the traveling division 6 guys are on their way to or from a venue, we would definitely have interest.

Bottom line is that if we could attract the "traveling regulars" from a schedule and payout perspective we could run the event identical to a division race with the option of running class depending on interest level/car count.

This would also give the local/regional people interested in getting started in class racing a chance to race against some of the best guys in the country as well as learn more about what class racing is all about.

A lot of new people who would like to run class have a hard time understanding all of the rules, indexing, weight factors, blue print specs., etc, and do not even know how to get started.

Just some ideas,
Paul Plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #22
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have to realize that stock is a performance based class. With relaxed rules and no chance of heads up races what makes it any different then a typical bracket race. If you want to call it a stock/superstock asso. and want to attract the class cars you probably should stick with the class format. Just my opinion. Class racing is not for everyone,thats what makes it special.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #23
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Stock/Superstock Association Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
You have to realize that stock is a performance based class. With relaxed rules and no chance of heads up races what makes it any different then a typical bracket race. If you want to call it a stock/superstock asso. and want to attract the class cars you probably should stick with the class format. Just my opinion. Class racing is not for everyone,thats what makes it special.
The problem with that is the cost of having knowlegeable people to weigh, fuel check, and inspect cars. I doubt a "Circuit" could support that kind of expense (increased entry to cover expenses) and a lot of tracks dont even have a set of scales anymore. The circuits run here on the east coast by Dave Ley in Div 1 and Jim Wahl in Florida and others work pretty good. The fun factor is back with fair car counts, you get to visit and swap lies and rumors with your friends and a chance to win some fair money is good with a resonable entry fee even if is a bracket race which is about 98% of class racing anyway. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 08-03-2010 at 09:52 AM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
ChevyII

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Who am I to say what should or shouldn't go on into a performance based series but I have several friends who do run in the class and have been a huge supporter of the class for years. But hear goes....

I could be wrong but I believe FJ Smith's CanAm series does not have heads up runs for similar classed cars to PROMOTE good sized fields.

Maybe Dave Turner or Venice Perno could comment and clarify.

If you want to get the series up and running, established so to speak, make it more attractive for everyone to compete and get their feet wet without one class car scaring all of his/her peers away. You guys and gals compete at a lot of NHRA nationals and divisionals to be able to strut your performance advantage. Use the association to allow everyone to stay sharp! Yes, I know it is not what the integrity of the class was built on but associations can put their own spin on things to stay healthy and viable.

Just my .02 cents for what it may or may not be worth..

Mike
ChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Our rules for our Association is pretty simple--any NHRA and IHRA-legal cars welcome. No heads-ups (no scales, fuel check, etc). Ladder is either by card draw for round 1, or random pairing and the ladder is set for round 2 based in winning reaction times. A car must dial it's class Index or quicker. I know George Mirza's All-Start Circuit in the Northeast does have heads-up runs. Check the S/SS Association Forums on here for different rules, it should help get you started with some ideas.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, ideas and advice .............. please keep them coming. Once we have established a base of interested racers, the idea would be to take all of this information and decide as an association the best direction to go with rules and formats to maximize participation.

If you are a class racer and race in one of the established stock -superstock associations please submit a post or a reply to let us know what you like, don't like or any other suggestions that you think would make your program better.

I would also like to hear from the open comp guys and the "respect the index" racers with stock and super-stock type cars. I have been doing a bit of research here and I am thinking you guys are up to something pretty cool as well! I have also heard that the fans pretty much go nuts for this stuff based on the heads-up nature of the racing. I think it is cool if that both cars run under the index, they are both out (respect the index)!

One possibility may be to add a class within the Stock/SS association for the close to legal NHRA and IHRA cars to run under the open comp format. This would eliminate the headaches associated with trying to classify a car that is not built per the rules.

To have any chance of success at getting a Northwest Stock/SS program off the ground we need to attract as many people as we can with an interest in class racing, stick as closely as we can to the roots of class racing or at least to where we are today and incorporate some of the "already proven" best ideas for a local association racing format.

If you live in the NW and are interested in class racing or interested in knowing more about what all of these guys are talking about please post your questions. If too embarrassed to post please send me an email and I will respond non-publicly.

Thanks all for the input so far!!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #27
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Stock/Superstock Association Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Our rules for our Association is pretty simple--any NHRA and IHRA-legal cars welcome. No heads-ups (no scales, fuel check, etc). Ladder is either by card draw for round 1, or random pairing and the ladder is set for round 2 based in winning reaction times. A car must dial it's class Index or quicker. I know George Mirza's All-Start Circuit in the Northeast does have heads-up runs. Check the S/SS Association Forums on here for different rules, it should help get you started with some ideas.
OOPs...sorry I forgot to mention your races Mike. I was in a hurry this morning. I always enjoyed going to your Stock and S/S races and so did Don. By the way Don is building a new 73 Duster for J/CM and it should be finished in about a month or two if he can stay off the couch.....lol.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #28
Larry Fulton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Plummer View Post
I have to ask where you are from - from your Avatar i am thinking you are the gentleman from my home town in Great Falls, MT. There is a guy there that specializes in Rochester 3-Deuce Carburetor set-ups? Just curious?
Yep, that's me!

I've known / raced Stew and his Buick for over 30 years....

I think I've seen your car back here at a cruise or car show within the last couple of years right?
Any way check out my website (About Us)...

I'm interested in seeing your new association get off the ground and become successful also...

Another S/SS program is the USA Sportsman - they've been at it for awhile also, so you might get some good input from them.

http://www.usastocksuperstock.com/Home.html

Last edited by Larry Fulton; 08-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Larry Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
Paul Plummer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Fulton View Post
Yep, that's me!

I've known / raced Stu and his Buick for over 30 years....

I think I've seen your car back here at a cruise or car show within the last couple of years right?
Any way check out my website (About Us)...

I'm interested in seeing your new association get off the ground and become successful also...

Another S/SS program is the USA Sportsman - they've been at it for awhile also, so you might get some good input from them.

http://www.usastocksuperstock.com/Home.html
Larry,

I was back in GF in about 2001 or 2002 or so with the car & met you then. I usually run around with uncle "stewy" when I go back.

IHRA gave the old stage1 and Great Falls, MT some great ink in June/July checkout the issue 13 of DRM - pgs 4,10, 25-26. I am sending uncle stewy a copy.

http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=42025

When will I see your car and see you out racing - we will need you to come to one of our events assuming this association gets off the ground!

I will look you up next time in town to visit family - probably in the fall!

Jody Plummer
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #30
283nova

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

cant belive i missed this thread, im getting rid of my 64 nova for a 67 nova so i might be up to this depending on how the winter assembly goes.
283nova is offline   Reply With Quote