Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: The cost of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Muenzer View Post
Thats a good deal! I was guessing I have about 25 grand with the cost of the car and probably would be lucky to get 10 grand. So at this point it would be counterproductive to try and sell.

It was a rust free Duster,a hard find here on the east coast of Canada
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEXJOE View Post
Here is a good way to find out IF you are ready for racing stock / super stock.

If you can fill a 5 gallon pail with $100.00 bills Then lite a match and
( WITHOUT FLINCHING !!) throw it in the pail ... YOU ARE READY!!!!

FYI...
To race Pro Stock it will a 55 gallon drum full !!!
Hey Joe, similar to an anology I gave a youngster at a bracket race, 20 some years back. He came up to me, admired my car and asked "what kind of money it take to build something like this"? I pointed over to a big Buick, Caddy, something that was parked close by, told him "go over and fill up the trunk of that car with $100 bills, three-four times, you might be ready to start"!

I appreciate the advise. I knew this would be expensive, it has become more clear to me. I don't have 25-30-40K upfront money I can throw into a car. I'm neither intimidated by the costs or the work. You all may be right, I may never get it together. For me, I desire the accomplishment.

Just for laughs, if I had that pail of $100 bills, wouldn't it be more prudent to put it toward the car? They will get burnt up, eventually!
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Time == Money I guess.

You can pay and have it fast, or do it yourself and it takes more time.

Im assuming youre a "handy type" who can do machine work, fabrication, welding, painting all yourself ?

My buddy make some of the most insane things Ive ever seen out of junk and sheet metal, all hammer worked....takes him 2 years but .... lol

I have yet with the exception of gears and the like of "hard part" (engine parts heads, etc) like brake calipers ever seen anything on a car I couldnt do given enough time, do I want to spend 100 hrs doing something I can buy for $100 , hell no, but well if I didnt have $100 I would...

What do you have ? Not have ?

I am just curious what the high dollar parts you see as remaining ?

Motor/Trans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Swartz View Post
Hey Joe, similar to an anology I gave a youngster at a bracket race, 20 some years back. He came up to me, admired my car and asked "what kind of money it take to build something like this"? I pointed over to a big Buick, Caddy, something that was parked close by, told him "go over and fill up the trunk of that car with $100 bills, three-four times, you might be ready to start"!

I appreciate the advise. I knew this would be expensive, it has become more clear to me. I don't have 25-30-40K upfront money I can throw into a car. I'm neither intimidated by the costs or the work. You all may be right, I may never get it together. For me, I desire the accomplishment.

Just for laughs, if I had that pail of $100 bills, wouldn't it be more prudent to put it toward the car? They will get burnt up, eventually!
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #24
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 537 Times in 211 Posts

In 2004....I was racing mostly in S/C with the dragster I had built new in 1998 I was watching all the late model Firebirds and Camaros in Stock and really wanted to have one.
I learned long ago to buy a good quality used roller and thats exactly what I did. I bought a Firebrid that was very well built and had perfect paint. It came with a lot of engine parts and a trans and converter. I built an engine with parts and some good advice from Woodro Josey.....Thankyou Woody....
I had very little machine work needed to build a decent engine to get started. I bought a used laptop from Ebay.....I taught myself how to tune the EFI. I bought an Innovate LM-1 to help me tune that EFI on the LT-1. I had the trans and converter redone. Bought some used ring and pinions and changed them twice myself trying different ratios.....
I ran well under the index the second week out after fixing some minor EFI programming errors I made. I did get some good help and advice from someone I met on the internet who worked at Accel DFI , as I had an Accell Gen VII ECU....I did not spend a ton of money and ran as quick as 10.55 and at the weight I was carrying...that was about -.8 or more under the index. I did not feel I could chase this type racing as it was just not going to fit in for me......I sold it after making about 60 total runs. The new owner has spent a lot of time refining the tune up...has been on the chassis dyno and also had the help of a very good "tuner". The car has only run slightly quicker......He is getting a new engine from one of the best engine builders in stock so it should be a lot faster....

Bottom line is you can build a car pretty reasonably and be competetive for a reasonable amount of money.....I did.....and most all of my cars have been done the same way.....No they are not showcars..and they are far from the fastest. If I had kept the Firebird, I would have worked at making it faster...slowly as the budget and time allowed.......It was just not going to work for me but it was a fun car to drive and I enjoyed the build up time and learning curve on the EFI.......

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 03-12-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
hemidup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post
What do you have ? Not have ?

I am just curious what the high dollar parts you see as remaining ?
Passion.....Can't put a price tag on that.
hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote