Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Don Whitmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: Hawk and Cook Brothers New CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
You forgot.......Its not stock anymore.....Its what is accepted.
Speaking of that, since Keir is building this CJ, did the '68 Nova he built for stock gain total acceptance as being legal for stock? There was a thread on here that documented the beautiful craftsmanship, but questioned the car's legality? Will the CJ have the same problem?
Don Whitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #22
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Hawk and Cook Brothers New CJ

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

RE: "You forgot.......Its not stock anymore.....Its what is accepted."

Puts me in mind of the '55-'60 Hydro-equipped Chevy sedan deliveries that ran amock in the Stocker ranks from about 1965 'til NHRA pulled the plug on them sometime around 1971 (can't remember exactly when.) By tht time, they had virtually every Stock Class Record for automatics, from E/SA (???) down to N/SA.... using various years and engine combinations, the sheer variety of which, boggled the mind. A popular combo was the dual-quad, 270 HP 283 (Duntov cam, Stahl headers, Grumpy shortblock)...

I remember the wife of the driver of the '60 Buick convertible called "Big Daddy" writing in the "Letters to the Editor" column that her husband, Russ Mathews, a Buick racer for many years, was giving up trying to outrun the sedan deliveries...

Sad; and reminds me of the situation in A/SA today, with the owners/drivers of the once-feared 396/427 Camaros looking at the numbers that the bogus HP factor "new" CJ cars and DP Challengers are capable of.

The argument that brought down the sedan deliveries was that no assembly-line Chevy passenger cars ever had been built with a Hydro. None... Not an assembly-line car, so it was not legal for "Stock."

But, like the CJ's and DP's, they made hay for awhile with that 4-speed automatic... Took about 7 years to get that mess straightened out.

Wonder how long it will take to fix this one???

Last edited by bill dedman; 06-02-2010 at 01:34 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #23
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Hawk and Cook Brothers New CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Whitmore View Post
Speaking of that, since Keir is building this CJ, did the '68 Nova he built for stock gain total acceptance as being legal for stock? There was a thread on here that documented the beautiful craftsmanship, but questioned the car's legality? Will the CJ have the same problem?
YES the Nova is legal......It never was illegal. Its just the usual Bull S##T you read on this site almost every day. Ive known Kenny since before he went into business and my S/S Camaro was his first job he did back in 1977. He is a quality craftsman and very few can do the quality work that he does. Hes not cheap but quality never is. The Nova is a first class piece and I looked it over myself before I moved to Fl. and could not find anything wrong.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #24
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Hawk and Cook Brothers New CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

RE: "You forgot.......Its not stock anymore.....Its what is accepted."

Puts me in mind of the '55-'60 Hydro-equipped Chevy sedan deliveries that ran amock in the Stocker ranks from about 1965 'til NHRA pulled the plug on them sometime around 1971 (can't remember exactly when.) By tht time, they had virtually every Stock Class Record for automatics, from E/SA (???) down to N/SA.... using various years and engine combinations, the sheer variety of which, boggled the mind. A popular combo was the dual-quad, 270 HP 283 (Duntov cam, Stahl headers, Grumpy shortblock)...

I remember the wife of the driver of the '60 Buick convertible called "Big Daddy" writing in the "Letters to the Editor" column that her husband, Russ Mathews, a Buick racer for many years, was giving up trying to outrun the sedan deliveries...

Sad; and reminds me of the situation in A/SA today, with the owners/drivers of the once-feared 396/427 Camaros looking at the numbers that the bogus HP factor "new" CJ cars and DP Challengers are capable of.

The argument that brought down the sedan deliveries was that no assembly-line Chevy passenger cars ever had been built with a Hydro. None... Not an assembly-line car, so it was not legal for "Stock."

But, like the CJ's and DP's, they made hay for awhile with that 4-speed automatic... Took about 7 years to get that mess straightened out.

Wonder how long it will take to fix this one???
We will all be dead and gone before this mess gets straightend out. 9.41 @151 MPH in AA.....give me a break !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote