Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,580 Times in 433 Posts
Default Re: Ignition wires

kv85 8.5mm or R-100 10mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbp1 View Post
I was an EFI technician for FAST for 7 years before becoming sales manager so I have dealt with EMI / RFI / Noise on an almost daily basis. I do not have all the answers but here are some truths I have learned about "noise". There is always some noise present. There are some best practices you can implement that will reduce the presence of noise. Right behind proper grounding, plug wires are the 2nd biggest factor in noise suppression, and let me tell you, there are huge differences in the noise suppression qualities of plug wire brands. You can get away with a lot more noise in a carbureted application than you can in an EFI application, because with a carburetor, even though you do have an ignition system, it is not relying on reading a great number of signals like an EFI system is. We see people switch from carburetor to EFI all the time and have noise issues because of plug wires, or failure to follow the best practices in the instructions. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "there is nothing wrong with my ignition, coil, or plug wires because they ran fine with my carburetor". You have to ask, what is your primary criteria for your plug wires? If it is just to carry the spark to the plug and deal with the heat of the headers, probably any of the wires mentioned would be fine, but if noise suppression is a concern, hands down, Magnecor wires cannot be beat! I have fixed many cars suffering from noise issues just by switching them to these wires. I had a customer who was a Northrup Grumman EE and he had some nice test equipment at his disposal. He sent me an oscilloscope trace of his cam signal with Magnecor and a popular brand and the difference was huge. Neither this gentleman nor myself have anything to do with Magnecor. I just like them because they work. In a non-EFI application where noise suppression is not so critical, my 2nd choice would be the MSD 8.5s but anytime it is possible, I go for the Magnecors. They do the job and the quality is excellent.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Ignition wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbp1 View Post
I was an EFI technician for FAST for 7 years before becoming sales manager so I have dealt with EMI / RFI / Noise on an almost daily basis. I do not have all the answers but here are some truths I have learned about "noise". There is always some noise present. There are some best practices you can implement that will reduce the presence of noise. Right behind proper grounding, plug wires are the 2nd biggest factor in noise suppression, and let me tell you, there are huge differences in the noise suppression qualities of plug wire brands. You can get away with a lot more noise in a carbureted application than you can in an EFI application, because with a carburetor, even though you do have an ignition system, it is not relying on reading a great number of signals like an EFI system is. We see people switch from carburetor to EFI all the time and have noise issues because of plug wires, or failure to follow the best practices in the instructions. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "there is nothing wrong with my ignition, coil, or plug wires because they ran fine with my carburetor". You have to ask, what is your primary criteria for your plug wires? If it is just to carry the spark to the plug and deal with the heat of the headers, probably any of the wires mentioned would be fine, but if noise suppression is a concern, hands down, Magnecor wires cannot be beat! I have fixed many cars suffering from noise issues just by switching them to these wires. I had a customer who was a Northrup Grumman EE and he had some nice test equipment at his disposal. He sent me an oscilloscope trace of his cam signal with Magnecor and a popular brand and the difference was huge. Neither this gentleman nor myself have anything to do with Magnecor. I just like them because they work. In a non-EFI application where noise suppression is not so critical, my 2nd choice would be the MSD 8.5s but anytime it is possible, I go for the Magnecors. They do the job and the quality is excellent.
x2 on the Magnacor wires........read this below.....
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote