Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #21
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Tech Card Fee,....Lane/Payout Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
These types of events can be successful if the promoter can get some sort of corporate sponsorship to cover the purse plus get some butts in the seats to generate revenue. Then the car counts would not be so critical until the event gets some history. The promoter cannot expect to make a huge profit or even break even at the first few events but he has to start somewhere and build on the event year to year.
We had substantial financial support, and still barely broke even the first year, and lost our *** the second year. Never again. People had been begging for a Class Nationals event for well over a decade, and we're expected to take losses while it "gets some history"?

We promote big money bracket races, and people show up. We just had an inaugural event at Kil-Kare Raceway in Ohio: a new format of an event for us, at a new facility many of our customers were not familiar with. We had racers from Wisconsin, Texas, Mississippi, and Florida. It was a very smooth, very successful event. Our other four events all had record car counts last year (again), and those events got a purse increase this year (again). That's how it works.

Paul - Midwest series looks great!

Terry - Congrats on the R/U this weekend! And don't be giving my Wally away!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #22
Daran Summerton

Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Footbrake guys don't know how good they have it with the Loose rocker races. I have supported both the class races and door slammer races. Since relocating to west coast we realize it now! Final 4 in divisional race will not get entry fee back. Thanks loose rocker for your events. Hope to return soon!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #23
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,726 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
We had substantial financial support, and still barely broke even the first year, and lost our *** the second year. Never again. People had been begging for a Class Nationals event for well over a decade, and we're expected to take losses while it "gets some history"?

We promote big money bracket races, and people show up. We just had an inaugural event at Kil-Kare Raceway in Ohio: a new format of an event for us, at a new facility many of our customers were not familiar with. We had racers from Wisconsin, Texas, Mississippi, and Florida. It was a very smooth, very successful event. Our other four events all had record car counts last year (again), and those events got a purse increase this year (again). That's how it works.

Paul - Midwest series looks great!

Terry - Congrats on the R/U this weekend! And don't be giving my Wally away!
The reality is YOUNG bracket racers want to race, OLDER CLASS racers are enticed to race for that WALLY....as you get older there are many reasons to stay home....scheduling, weather, family obligations, .....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 772 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Merolla View Post
This thread makes me even more grateful to the folks that make Midwest Class Racers such a success. 8 races this year, and they all pay like this or better! It's no wonder we always have 50-75 cars at every race.
Amen, Paul. The best thing going in the country for Stock and Super Stock racers.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #25
Albert Lee

Liked 271 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Amen, Paul. The best thing going in the country for Stock and Super Stock racers.
This weekend, a pair of $2,500s in Marion, SD (Sioux Falls) and a chance to give something back at the "Make A Wish" Race.

Then, next week, it's a pair of $2,000s (plus a $500 'most rounds won' bonus)at my old track, the Rock, in Eau Claire, WI.

Al Corda
Albert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,578 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
The reality is YOUNG bracket racers want to race, OLDER CLASS racers are enticed to race for that WALLY....as you get older there are many reasons to stay home....scheduling, weather, family obligations, .....
Been this way for quite a while, too.
15-20 years ago, (somebody help me out here) Rock Running and Kenny Shawver? tried to promote a big bucks S/SS combo.
Ended up refunding the pre-entries. Couldn't get enough collected to pay the track rental??
Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #27
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Been this way for quite a while, too.
15-20 years ago, (somebody help me out here) Rock Running and Kenny Shawver? tried to promote a big bucks S/SS combo.
Ended up refunding the pre-entries. Couldn't get enough collected to pay the track rental??
Mark, I am looking at the flyer right now for that race (found it when I moved last year, and kept it handy). It was to be August 1-2, 1998 at Edgewater (near Cincinnati, for those unfamiliar). And it had a rain date too. Entry/payout was to be:

Pre-entry: $200
At the gate: $225

Win - $20,000
R/U - $8,000
Semi - $4,000
1/4's - $2,000
1/8's - $1,000 (round of 16)

Plus a Saturday gamblers race, contingency, and more.

And, yes, it was cancelled due to lack of pre-entries and interest.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #28
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
The reality is YOUNG bracket racers want to race, .....
Not doubting your contention, MJ
The question then is "why"?
I would say that some have never known anything else.
Bracket racing and T&T nights may have kept many tracks open, but it was also the beginning of the end for younger folks' interest in NHRA, IHRA class type racing...in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #29
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
Mark, I am looking at the flyer right now for that race (found it when I moved last year, and kept it handy). It was to be August 1-2, 1998 at Edgewater (near Cincinnati, for those unfamiliar). And it had a rain date too. Entry/payout was to be:

Pre-entry: $200
At the gate: $225

Win - $20,000
R/U - $8,000
Semi - $4,000
1/4's - $2,000
1/8's - $1,000 (round of 16)

Plus a Saturday gamblers race, contingency, and more.

And, yes, it was cancelled due to lack of pre-entries and interest.
Thanks, BD
It should be noted that this was only 3 years before the successful Class Nationals I ..
Same part of the country..Same time of the year.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #30
cgall

Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

The NHRA is long overdue for a complete restructuring of management, classes, schedule and events. They just went through a change in leadership, but very little has been changed otherwise. I believe that is because they run it like the Clinton Foundation, claiming the majority of dollars taken in are for salaries, travel and admin fees, while paying out a tiny percentage of money to the cause that the damn organization was started for! Unfortunately for the public, the leaders of these orgs will let them fail before they would restructure. The IRS should require non-profits to use 99% of the money they take in to promote the cause, which in this case is having a safe place to race our cars.
cgall is offline   Reply With Quote