HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #21
j gardiner

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Just when I thought I've seen it all ........

I am talking about today's factory raceways that you cannot purchase through the dealer or title and tag.
j gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #22
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,793 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
"Factory race cars" like 442s, 427 Corvettes, Camaros and Fairlanes pretty much started what we now consider Stock and Super Stock. Not exactly practical street machines in the 60's.
Practical? Did that even enter the thought process when the Muscle cars were rumbling around town? Face it; 'back in the day' if you didn't have one you wanted one. If you're too young to remember those days then it was great times, take our word for it. As to the A/FX, it doesn't seem much different than the new non-VIN low eight second rockets now in "Stock". Don't have anything against either, realistically the Combos need to stay viable by whatever means the local association deems necessary and based on who they represent.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #23
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Practical? Did that even enter the thought process when the Muscle cars were rumbling around town? Face it; 'back in the day' if you didn't have one you wanted one. If you're too young to remember those days then it was great times, take our word for it. As to the A/FX, it doesn't seem much different than the new non-VIN low eight second rockets now in "Stock". Don't have anything against either, realistically the Combos need to stay viable by whatever means the local association deems necessary and based on who they represent.
Full Disclosure: I turn 69 this month. I was the "staff photographer" for Milan Dragway in High School. My sister and I conned our parents into getting a Mustang with a 289. I was horrified that it had a 2bbl carb and three speed stick (worst trans ever in a street car). First thing I did was pop the hubcaps and burn rubber on Saturday night. ;-) Raced it the first chance I got. That was when a call for K/PS drew enough cars for three rounds of racing on a typical Sunday - Sunday - Sunday at Milan Dragway. Racing begins at 2 pm, final eliminations at 4 O'Clock!

Growing up in the Detroit area (Toledo, Ohio) was a hot rodder's dream.

I remember the Altered wb match racers and would rather watch them than the current batch of funny cars.Nicholson's Cyclone was awesome.

Last edited by FireSale; 11-08-2016 at 02:31 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #24
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,793 Times in 874 Posts

We're kindred spirits Dale, .75-2.50 an hour all the way through high school to help me achieve getting a new SS396 when I started college in 1967. Believe it was that year (maybe 66) at Indy that Dyno Don ran his first fuel Cougar (they didn't even have a FC class then) and blew us all away doing a dry hop behind the line. The old FX cars were a hoot to watch as well and any competitive venue that gets them on the track is great with me.

Sorry Jack, perhaps not where you envisioned this thread going, I'll take similar thoughts over to one of the nostalgia threads.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #25
Mike Bassin

Liked 117 Times in 18 Posts

First off, another big thank you to all that participated this weekend. What a great show! About the altered wheel base '65 Dodge A/FX car. It is built, driven and owned by Dan Householder a long time Maryland racer. For years he competed in the Super Pro bracket wars at the now closed 75-80 Dragway, Capitol, Cecil County, other tracks especially at our track, Mason Dixon Dragway. Dan is in his early 70's and built the car a few years ago, mainly to race occasionally in nostalgia or Chrysler races, like the two we ran earlier this year. A well built and very period correct car, doesn't run bad either. I'm sure Dan enjoyed racing with all of you, what a variety of cars participating, his just added a bit more to the great racing. Be safe over the winter, see you all in the spring!
Mike Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #26
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
A/FX is a legal class within Nostalgia/SS. Much the same way GT/AA, A/SA, SS/AS, FS/C etc etc are legal classes within S/SS. Nost/SS cars are welcome to run with our series/races. Much like traditional S/SS cars.

Bottom line: that A/FX car was as legit and legal to compete in the race as the other sixty-some cars on the property on Sunday.
Just curious, how did you come up with an index for the A/FX car?
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #27
V M Kauffman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stock is just a big Bracket Race with a lot of rules with Tear Downs from time to time!

QUOTE=fredjohnston;519299]Just curious, how did you come up with an index for the A/FX car?[/QUOTE]

Just pull them from the magic index hat like NHRA does with the Copo's and C J's!

At these combos just go and race and May the best drivers win! After all aren't you guys there to race?

All the pissing and moaning is a joke!
GO RACE,
V M Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #28
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like button vM Kauffman ...Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #29
Angelo DiTocco

Liked 174 Times in 39 Posts

I think its fine to include all the various classes in the combo races - I believe it makes for a more fun experience for all participants, it draws more cars in total, can raise payouts etc... As Bobby F said earlier (BTW congrats on the win) - it agree it gets a little hazy when you have different rules, like trans-brake SS'rs vs. foot-brake stockers. I will say though - that having participated in Dave Ley's East Coast S/SS series for many years - I have seen Stockers win at least as often as SS cars, if not more often - but without looking more deeply into it - like specific number of rounds won by the different cars - its not easy to say which type/class of car is more successful overall, or be able to conclude one has any actual advantage over the other.
OK - so all that being said - since I have been bracket racing with a dragster, I noticed that specialty bracket races (not the weekly points series races) often have buy-backs for those who do not win 1st round. (I try to be positive all the time - which is why I did not use "1st round losers" LOL). I personally feel having the opportunity for a second chance makes attending the race a little more appealing. I think what's being described here is an "all inclusive" class race which I would define as being very similar to a specialty bracket race.
My question is.... would having a 1st round buy-back be a possibility? Would it change how anyone feels?
Angelo DiTocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #30
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 58 Times in 28 Posts

Bottom line is that these races are just supposed to be fun races. They are for racing with and against friends old and new and maybe winning a little money while doing so.
You don't have to travel for hours and sit in line for days waiting to get into the track.
You don't lose because the series sponsoring fuel you purchased at the track won't pass a specific gravity test.
Heads up runs would be nice if the track has scales and there are people who either get paid or want to volunteer to operate the them, but some small tracks just don't have the capability.

In certain areas of the country, there are enough NHRA racers to put on a combo where they don't need any other cars to get 50-60 for a combo. That is not the case with every area of the country.

There are many ways to tweak the rules or change to make a certain set of racers happy, but when you make them happy, others may be driven away. Its supposed to just be a fun race.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote