Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #21
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts
Default Re: Gators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Just the way nhra wants it. In a few years it will be just the pros at National events.
Looking at the entry list...Pro Mod, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman and Factory Stock look like the future.
MJ
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #22
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip THELEGEND Johnson View Post
Casey,
Division 2 had 6 National Opens in 2019 I think.
There is 7 scheduled for 2020
Chip
You are talking about the 1/8 mile races set up for the former ihra cars. You are correct and I'm mistaken, but I will not drive 1000 miles to race a race that isn't conducive to my car, I race a 4 speed not an automatic and 1/8 mile just doesn't work for me with the combo I race with.
Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

I still think there should be some sort of preference for the home division racers. Maybe give the home division racers first choice on the first day if they have say 5 or 6 grade points. Doesn't make sense to have someone from across the country take a local guys spot. I think in the long run this is going to backfire and the divisional races will suffer. I have 7 grade points and most likely will not get in the gators either in SS. The steady reduction in quota is what is causing some of this issue. I guess this year I will try to get 8 or more.
Best of luck to the racers that get in. Well deserved.

Last edited by Mike Pearson; 01-03-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Mike Pearson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #24
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 384 Posts

Please stop with .."im a d-2 racer I should get into the gators over someone with more grade points..You are the same racers every year crying you can’t get in.
You should GoTo More Races. I have a grade 6. Can’t get in guess what ?
I will race elsewhere.
Oh by the way I can’t get into Englishtown. Anymore
Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #25
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
Please stop with .."im a d-2 racer I should get into the gators over someone with more grade points..You are the same racers every year crying you can’t get in.
You should GoTo More Races. I have a grade 6. Can’t get in guess what ?
I will race elsewhere.
Oh by the way I can’t get into Englishtown. Anymore
Just stating my opinion. No crying here. Like you said I will race elsewhere. The big race for the sportsman guys is the "Baby Gators" anyway.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #26
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 808 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I still think there should be some sort of preference for the home division racers. Maybe give the home division racers first choice on the first day if they have say 5 or 6 grade points. Doesn't make sense to have someone from across the country take a local guys spot. I think in the long run this is going to backfire and the divisional races will suffer. I have 7 grade points and most likely will not get in the gators either in SS. The steady reduction in quota is what is causing some of this issue. I guess this year I will try to get 8 or more.
Best of luck to the racers that get in. Well deserved.
I do not care about not getting into a race . I don't chase the championship anyway so if I cannot get into a track I will go elsewhere , remember me I am a pit snob lol at me> been racing since 1963 there will always be another race somewhere Besides soon the entry fees will go up I suspect is the next step for a racer to get into the limited quota which reduces the income for the sanctioning body executives.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #27
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Hey James, not as easy as you think to just go to more races in D2, for me, Orlando is 200 miles and it's the closest. Up where you are it's just the tolls that kill you not the distances. I think the farthest is Epping or Virginia, maybe 400 miles. Galot, which should be in D1 is a mere 900 miles which takes a days drive all by itself. Like I said in an earlier post, over 8k miles to get 6 grade points. It's not about going, it's getting there. I'm on the same page as Mike about division preference.
Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #28
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,774 Times in 868 Posts

D2 has already released the Open schedule, three doubles plus another following the Rockingham race in the fall. Know it’s not ideal for the Florida racers but offers a lot of options to gain grade points.

And for those that haven’t heard, the Baby Gators is an awesome race! No grade points required! Lots of great racing for Class, hopefully with the same great weather as last year and without the circus of the following week.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #29
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,225 Times in 250 Posts

I think they should make a minimum of 80 entries but make it a 64 car field.

At least the Baby Gators has class eliminations.

If NHRA was smart, they would offer class at many more divisional races as an extra race. They could even charge for that.

That way, if you wanted to enter class, you could. If you didn’t want to enter, don’t.

I wish they would not have messed with the Gators, but they have. D1 racers have been making the drive down south for decades, so that is not new.

To have people with 7 on the outside looking in will need to be reviewed or the racers will give up on the grade points and the division and open numbers will go back down.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
It’s a brand new car, AND I am sure that it’s nice,
This one will be a bit of an ugly duckling for the first year, until this old Chevrolet guy figures out a Pontiac. I have had a lot of good help so far so we'll have to wait and see how it runs before locking it up in a bodyshop for months on end.