Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #21
Mark Tallent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Sofranko View Post
Great thread here, I missed that period of National event racing. That must have been a wild bunch of Detroit natives on the loose! Mike.... did anyone get some video of that car in the day? What year did you guys quit running that piece? Was that car at Indy in 1989 or 1990? A friend of mine decided to get hitched in the 1989 Indy weekend! No one should have scheduled anything on that weekend, ever.!!!

It was a great period from the late 70's thru the 90's. I think it will probably go down as the all time best period of class racing. I went to Indy in 1990 and taped all of the class runoffs. Those were some good days. I think Indy 1990 had 245 entries in SS. Now that was a tough field.

see ya
Don, Any chance you will bring your car back in SS/L we need more participants to say the least.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #22
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

what about the GT/A Mustang of Lloyd Bray & D.G? Was it the first GT/A Mustang? Lloyd told me once who built it but I forgot. Supposed to be a very nice ride also.
Last I heard Lloyd was in a VA nursing home. Anybody have an update? I have to say when he goes he will be truely missed. Lloyd is the definition of a racer in it's truest form!
And DG's a heckuva good guy also...!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
MPR

Liked 23 Times in 8 Posts

Don,
I think 1989 was the last Indy I went to with the old Mustang. I do have some old video but I haven't watched it for years and I don't know if they are any good now. The hood on the car now is not a stock Saleen hood and we didn't convert the car to a Saleen for hood clearance. I first ran the car as an 85 and in 87 the front facia, bumper cover, tail lights and rear bumper cover changed so we updated the car. After running it at only a race or two we converted it to a Saleen mainly because we liked the way the Saleen looked better than the LX. Too bad about Loyd Bray, we raced a few times back then. I think Ron Goodell built Loyds Mustang and Loyd and D.G. ran a Cobra Jet.
MPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #24
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
what about the GT/A Mustang of Lloyd Bray & D.G? Was it the first GT/A Mustang? Lloyd told me once who built it but I forgot. Supposed to be a very nice ride also.
Last I heard Lloyd was in a VA nursing home. Anybody have an update? I have to say when he goes he will be truely missed. Lloyd is the definition of a racer in it's truest form!
And DG's a heckuva good guy also...!

D.G. Gilliam is still racing the car. We spoked to him a couple of months ago about his car, and he wasnt interested in selling at that time. I didnt know Lloyd Bray was in a nursing home. Its still a very good looking car

Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Record Holder
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #25
hutt1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Mr Johnson
I saw this thread and thought of the saleen we had in the late 80's and early ninety's. I only have a few pics but 50 pounds heavy for GT/B that car went 9.38 @146 what would one of those cars go now.. With an up to date chassis and all of the lightweight stuff. I can remember several times at union hill dialing the car at 5.82 in the 1/8. When we ran that we were using a G Force that you had to clutch on the gear changes we did not even have a jerico at that time and now the guys are getting to use the fiberglass cowl hoods. Vic Kroll has the car and was going to sell it if you know anyone. I think it still has the same paint job on it.
hutt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: History of MPR's personal 86 Mustang SS/F Car

Mike,

I still enjoy looking at pics I took of your 70 Mustang. You gave me a lot of good info regarding the Cleveland motors. It was used wisely.

Thank you for the history and the memories.
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
Bob Rice

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Smitty,
Here's a link to a picture of the Revel's Mustang taken at the points meet at Coastal Plains in 89.
Bob Rice
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...070&p=66536002

CycloneFE,
I have one picture of Mike's 70 Mustang taken at Suffolk. Here's a link to the pic. Would love to see what pics you have.
Bob Rice
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...070&p=66535928
Bob Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Doyle Evans

Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts

Smitty,

I finally started on going through the vette. It's in a paint booth getting one of those paint jobs that was discussed on here earlier.

If you see Melvin, let him know I was asking about him.

Also, has anyone heard from Big R? His son (I think) was a very good running back at App. State.

How long before you get back to NC?

Doyle
Doyle Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #29
Terrance Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle Evans View Post
Smitty,

I finally started on going through the vette. It's in a paint booth getting one of those paint jobs that was discussed on here earlier.

If you see Melvin, let him know I was asking about him.

Also, has anyone heard from Big R? His son (I think) was a very good running back at App. State.

How long before you get back to NC?

Doyle
Doyle,

I haven't seen Big R in a longtime, last I heard he had all of his stuff for sale. I will be sure to pass on to Melvin thaat you asked about him. I am trying to get him to run his car in Div 9 some or at least at the Combos up in Roxboro and Peidmont.
I got another 2 years here in Florida before I move somewhere again.

Smitty
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #30
Terrance Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rice View Post
Smitty,
Here's a link to a picture of the Revel's Mustang taken at the points meet at Coastal Plains in 89.
Bob Rice
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...070&p=66536002

CycloneFE,
I have one picture of Mike's 70 Mustang taken at Suffolk. Here's a link to the pic. Would love to see what pics you have.
Bob Rice
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...070&p=66535928
Bob,

I have a picture of the car in this paint scheme at Indy but I don't know how to post it, could I email it to you and you post it. That car really ran well back then, on kill it would run 5.80's in the eigth mile and that was wuth an ancient Doug Nash. It was one of the quicker cars for awhile before they got out of racing.

Here is a task for you, in my avitar is a picture of the car I own, a 71 Mustang. I bought this car the Revels a few years back and they bought it from some black guys out of Georgia. If I am not mistaken Joe Hartley from South Carolina owned it before the guys from Ga. and Mike Saye drove it in SS/I. Do you think you might be able to find some old photos of it?

Smitty