HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #31
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

P.S. I congratulate guys like Eric Merryfield. You go guy !
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #32
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts
Default Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Jordan View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to the advantages of a 1 lb. weight break? I fail to see how that fixes anything. Sounds DECENT for a lower horsepower car that might have to add 200-300 lbs to move between classes, but what about the high horsepower stuff?

Example:

'10 Super Cobra Jet rated @ 500 hp.

6.00 lb. class = 3170 lbs
7.00 lb. class = 3670 lbs

I for one would not like having to find/remove 500 lbs. of weight to change classes. Is that the idea? To keep people in one class?

I'll say this much: that'd keep the Belvedere locked away for the rest of its life. I can't get to 3170 and I don't feel like turning it into a lead sled.
Well, the idea behind one pound weight breaks is to consolidate classes. Yes, one pound weight breaks would tend to keep you from moving between classes. That is not the reason for it at all, it is just one of the side effects.

What would you have done two years or so ago before we campaigned for and got AA? The break for A was 8.0 back then, that was as light as you could get. What Belvedere are you going to race in Stock that is rated at 500HP?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts

The mustang and hemi still did not get hurt much in my opinion ( I don't have a car so I have no axe to grind) Them cars are rockets and I would hate to be in class with them. I understand that NHRA needs corporate involvement in racing so after the new wears off the "new" rockets maybe the playing field will be leveled. Thank goodness the manufacturers are willing to pump some $$'s and interest in the sport! Hopefully The next election will purge the crap out of the political machine and the country can get back on the right track! Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #34
Steve Calabro

Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Steve Calabro

L88 Corvette 434 hp OEM head only

Last edited by Steve Calabro; 07-07-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: more info
Steve Calabro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #35
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Mid-year horsepower posted @ nhra.com

Hopefully The next election will purge the crap out of the political machine and the country can get back on the right track! Don Jackson

From your mouth to God's ear Don!!! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #36
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,317 Times in 264 Posts

It would be good also to match the field with the quota. Why not allow at least 70 cars into a 64 car field. At least there wouldn't be guys dragging the brakes to be the bottom qualifier.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,196 Times in 1,610 Posts

[QUOTE=Michael Beard;

I find it odd/comical/sad that I'm the *bracket racer* here, and so many of the hard core "class racers" run screaming to protect their own interests when you actually try to do something to bring the class racing back to class racing. Too many of them like to just pretend they are performance-based racers.

That pretty well sums it up for me! Everything is done "In MY best interest". There are very few racers left that will consider what is good for the Eliminator or for that matter what is "Right or wrong" and "Legal or not" and why should they! The people running the sanctioning body are either ignorant of what is going on or just don't care. Welcome to the 21st. century! And stop wondering how Nobama managed to get elected!

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
That pretty well sums it up for me! Everything is done "In MY best interest". There are very few racers left that will consider what is good for the Eliminator or for that matter what is "Right or wrong" and "Legal or not" and why should they! The people running the sanctioning body are either ignorant of what is going on or just don't care. Welcome to the 21st. century! And stop wondering how Nobama managed to get elected!
The reason the sanctioning body gets away with crap is found in the 2nd and 3rd sentences. Racers refuse to get together for the bettering of the class, they're too busy furthering their own cause.

However, that 4th sentence, the idea that the sanctioning body is either ignorant or oblivious, is false. They know exactly what they're doing and what is going on. They can get away with it because of the 2nd and 3rd sentences.

We wouldn't benefit from money and points for class, we're not fast enough. We wouldn't benefit from money and points for qualifying, we're not fast enough. We wouldn't benefit from points for records for the same reason. And one pound weight breaks would just lock us into one class, we couldn't move to avoid the new super cars.

So we have nothing to gain from what I suggested, especially not in the short term. We might or might not be hurt by what I suggested, depending on the circumstances. But I see where moving the class back towards the performance based side of things would be good for the health of the class. And in the end, what is good for the class is good for the people racing in the class.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #39
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Well, the idea behind one pound weight breaks is to consolidate classes. Yes, one pound weight breaks would tend to keep you from moving between classes. That is not the reason for it at all, it is just one of the side effects.

What would you have done two years or so ago before we campaigned for and got AA? The break for A was 8.0 back then, that was as light as you could get. What Belvedere are you going to race in Stock that is rated at 500HP?
Alan, Jared raced his grandfather's (Harry Holton) '65 Hemi Belvedere in SS/BA. I think he was referring to 1 pound weight breaks in upper Super Stock classes would make for a lot of weight to be added/removed to move to a different class. I remember some complaints when NHRA had FI Stock, and an LS-1 had to move 336 pounds up or down (rated 336 at the time) to move up to A/FI or down to C/FI, so a car would have needed 672 total moveable weight to change within the legal classes. In S/S, it would be worse, as all the cars in SS/A to SS/E are rated 400-500 HP.

Personally, I am 100% in favor of changing the rule to "a car can run ONLY in it's natural class". You can remove weight to make the top of your natural class, but nothing else. No moving up or down at all. That would eliminate some of the games and the "hiding".

-EDIT- The exception would be for a car that can not make a class, per the rules. Example, V-8 cars can not compete in V/SA, so a natural V car would have to run U, or the rule would have to ammended. Same with a 6 cylinder can not compete in W/SA, so it would have to move to V.

Last edited by Mike Carr; 07-08-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #40
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,196 Times in 1,610 Posts

[QUOTE=Alan Roehrich; And in the end, what is good for the class is good for the people racing in the class.

Thank you! Now how do we get racers to all "agree on anything"! Alan, any racer that knows me has heard this quote,"Racers as a whole are so damned stupid that it's amazing we manage to feed ourselves".
I hope that at some point in time we all wake the hell up!

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote