HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #31
nhramnl

Liked 354 Times in 83 Posts
Default Re: Lawsuit over cylinder heads

It's fun to watch this, but kinda sad, too. Apparently, the collective memory of racers is short. See, I remember back to when ported heads weren't legal, and NHRA caught guys who had them. Were they punished? Nope. NHRA just made ported heads legal. And then, there were things like gas-ported pistons (formerly illegal, now legal), un-shrouded combustion chambers (formerly illegal, now legal), aftermarket blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, wrist pins, (all formerly illegal, now legal), "replacement" cylinder heads (formerly illegal, now legal), and on and on, and on. Super Stock bears no resemblance whatsoever to the class that existed when it came into being, decades ago, but there are very few who would say we should go back to those days. The class has continuously evolved, rightly or wrongly, and there has never been any turning back. John Gulius consciously pushed the envelope, because that's precisely what his customers wanted to buy... his mind, in addition to his hands. And he delivered, consistently. A shame now, that after all of "paper-tiger" actions of the NHRA over the years (some fair, some absolutely inexplicable) that an innovator, pioneer and BIG thinker in the class has to defend his decades-long reputation.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #32
nolongerracing

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhramnl View Post
It's fun to watch this, but kinda sad, too. Apparently, the collective memory of racers is short. See, I remember back to when ported heads weren't legal, and NHRA caught guys who had them. Were they punished? Nope. NHRA just made ported heads legal. And then, there were things like gas-ported pistons (formerly illegal, now legal), un-shrouded combustion chambers (formerly illegal, now legal), aftermarket blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, wrist pins, (all formerly illegal, now legal), "replacement" cylinder heads (formerly illegal, now legal), and on and on, and on. Super Stock bears no resemblance whatsoever to the class that existed when it came into being, decades ago, but there are very few who would say we should go back to those days. The class has continuously evolved, rightly or wrongly, and there has never been any turning back. John Gulius consciously pushed the envelope, because that's precisely what his customers wanted to buy... his mind, in addition to his hands. And he delivered, consistently. A shame now, that after all of "paper-tiger" actions of the NHRA over the years (some fair, some absolutely inexplicable) that an innovator, pioneer and BIG thinker in the class has to defend his decades-long reputation.
So... If I'm reading your post correctly, everything that Gulius has done that was "illegal" on a superstock engine now should be made "legal" because he is an innovator, pioneer, and big thinker? I call Bull****!!
'
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #33
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

It cost the Pro Stock truck guys cubic dollars to fight nhra. After a few years, it appears they recieved a generous settlement after an ugly fight. But those guys had huge investments to recoup and they had truck loads of dough and time to fight nhra. I don't know much about the issues here but the plaintiff(s) better have big bucks and probably better representation.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #34
nhramnl

Liked 354 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolongerracing View Post
So... If I'm reading your post correctly, everything that Gulius has done that was "illegal" on a superstock engine now should be made "legal" because he is an innovator, pioneer, and big thinker? I call Bull****!!
'
Yeah, sure. That's what I said...
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #35
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I hope you guys can forgive a very old guy for not understanding what was ruled illegal about Mr Gulius’ heads? I have tried to read all this, but must have missed something.
Exactly what was ruled illegal about his Chevy Super Stock heads?
Thank you!
Ed
Old 04-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #36
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
You don't have to be kind to either Sean or I; we are all adults.
Like Sean stated earlier, the problem with the posting is making comments without knowing all the facts of the case.

By the way, I am very familiar with PACER and you just don't "stumble" into information or just falls on your lap. PACER is a legal search database and you must perform the search on a specific term, name or phrase.

Therefore, my speculation is the search was performed based on statements made by others, rumor, casual talk or gossip without knowing the actual facts of the case.
Wrong. I did a simple Google search using Gulius racing (try it and see), as I was curious about what kind of operation he had. No reason not to post it as it's public information that pertains to our sport.

Last edited by bykr; 04-19-2020 at 07:11 PM.
bykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #37
bykr

Liked 167 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I hope you guys can forgive a very old guy for not understanding what was ruled illegal about Mr Gulius’ heads? I have tried to read all this, but must have missed something.
Exactly what was ruled illegal about his Chevy Super Stock heads?
Thank you!
Ed
Ed here you go:
https://classracer.com/classforum/sh...ad.php?t=74879

Last edited by bykr; 04-19-2020 at 07:09 PM.
bykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:10 PM   #38
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,465 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykr View Post
Wrong. I did a simple Google search using Gulius racing (try it and see), as I was curious about what kind of operation he had. No reason not to post it as it's public information that pertains to our sport.
Too funny!

Anyone that has been in the Super Stock class world knows who John Gulius is because he has been building engines for a long time.

Call it what it is no matter the way you paint it: Gossip and trying to find details about the lawsuit and of course, a Google search will show the latest related to his business.
By the way, the filing of the lawsuit is indeed public information; the details are not unless you pay for access.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #39
nolongerracing

Liked 71 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Too funny!

Anyone that has been in the Super Stock class world knows who John Gulius is because he has been building engines for a long time.

Call it what it is no matter the way you paint it: Gossip and trying to find details about the lawsuit and of course, a Google search will show the latest related to his business.
By the way, the filing of the lawsuit is indeed public information; the details are not unless you pay for access.
And you knew about the lawsuit a long time ago?
nolongerracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #40
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,600 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykr View Post
..And after you read all those pages, you'll be even more confused.

(That's all I'm going to say, because I don't race Super Stock)