Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #31
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,194 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default Re: It's gonna be a long winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubski View Post
how bout liberty clucthless transmissions in SS ? yeah I know nobody uses the clutch anymore but if my comp car isn't competitive in comp why not a 8500.00$ trans and several grand of mods to install it ?? sounds good to me I could never understand the aluminum replacement heads either, a set of [rare] cores cost as much as a set of new aluminum heads!! plus the 3000.00$ valve job ??? If pro stock heads were allowed in SS/S everyone would buy 2 sets , but now its hard to buy cores !!! WTF !!! How bout those 289 aluminum heads ?? I've scrapped a dozen good cores in the last couple years and nobody can find them ??? Aftermarket cranks are one of my favorites!! i can't find a BBC crank so I will buy a aftermarket knife edged lightened crank cause I can't afford a 300.00$ core !!! How bout those flat tappet lifters with the non metallic puck ?? what exactly did they come in ?? never came in anything from the factory is the answer!! Same with carburetors !! everyone needs a holley replacement or quick fuel or whatever , a quick look on eBay and i could find 90% of these carbs and for the same or less than a new one !!! Roller rockers in stock !! if your breaking rockers try a different cam profile instead of inventing new rules for[ stock] at least thats what it was meant to be !! Lastly I'm sick of hearing thats [progress] !!!! S/SS are not meant to progress to the point nothing is stock anymore!!! 50 years later what came on a combo still came on that combo !!! If you want to progress go race an unlimited class with no rules and stay the hell out of CLASS RACING!!
This is just a partial example of the stuff that is driving me crazy (crazier?)! NHRA will allow different things without thinking of the repercussions of it all. IMHO, regardless of all of the bogus stuff, the biggest screw up NHRA has made is tossing out the original valve spring rule. It wouldn't even be so bad if they would have come up with a max seat pressure number and stuck to it.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #32
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Red Anderson wasn't going to let me race the first Div 4 race I went to. Had to go find a salvage yard, to buy a pair of sun visors. True story. Long time ago, mid '60s.
'56 Chevys were still in salvage yards.
It was Red and we had to go to a salvage yard too.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #33
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

First race I ever went to in 2006 pulled into tech Wesley walked up and said wrong trim on the trunk get that changed before the next event. Then he said hello I'm Wesley Robertson.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #34
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
First race I ever went to in 2006 pulled into tech Wesley walked up and said wrong trim on the trunk get that changed before the next event. Then he said hello I'm Wesley Robertson.

Yep, that's Wesley. They should have put him, Travis Miller, and Dave Ley in charge of tech for every class about 30 years ago. Then had Imbrogno be the liaison to the board for the racers.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #35
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok stocker View Post
It was Red and we had to go to a salvage yard too.
Sitting here, and I realize I was wrong. The sun visor deal was with my second car, a '56 2dr sedan, at the Dallas (actually in Lewisville) track. My first ever points race was at Odessa, Texas. I had a '56 wagon. Never had wipers on it. Raced several Tulsa, OKC, and Ft Smith, AR. First ever points race, I went through tech right behind Jim Hayter's new '67 Z28 Camaro. Saw Jim at home all the time. He had no wipers. Went right through tech. My turn, Red says "Next time I see this car, it had better have windshield wiper! Stupid kid I was, I pointed out that Jim had no wipers. LOL That was not what to say to Red! Guys here that knew Red knows how dumb that was! WOW His face got as red as his hair. LOL I put wipers on when I got home. I was told by another racer, that I was lucky I didn't have to tow it back home. Took most of the season before he would even speak to me more than he had to. I could say hello, he would not answer me. We got to be friends. Took a record tear down before he got friendly. Think I wasn't nervous during that tear down.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:11 PM   #36
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 572 Times in 210 Posts

At Indy, in 1971, Farmer Dismuke would not pass my 69 Roadrunner because it had side reflectors instead of side lights.....???? Note: 68's had lights and 69's had reflectors.

Fortunately, I had the factory build sheet in my trailer and got OK after showing reflectors on the sheet. Also made me remove my rear license plate that read "get your sh.. together".

I had my windshield wipers in the trunk.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #37
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Allow Deep Staging.
What a **** storm that would create!
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #38
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

For the post above they already allow clutchless liberty trans in SS. Awhile back there was a big push for titanium valves in SS. Only people pushing stupid s..t like that are thes rich #&#&&# in SS. Just my opinion....
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #39
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,800 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
What a **** storm that would create!
You mean more than bringing Tru-Start into S/SS?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #40
Daran Summerton

Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts

Perhaps a small purse adjustment this winter? 5th Rd loser still does not get entry fee back!!