HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-13-2022, 11:47 PM   #31
JeremyDuncan

Liked 281 Times in 70 Posts
Default Re: Shipping weights

My two cents, I am not in favor of ditching traditional SS and Stock shipping weights. Yes the old GT shipping weight rules were obtuse( vehicle shipping weight +/- 250lbs ÷ engine factored HP to get Power to Weight & and even if a car fit a class it couldn't always get to run at the bottom or minimum of that class if it didn't fit the bottom of the class) but the traditional SS and Stock shipping weights rules are much more straight forward. Find your car's combo power to weight. See what class weight break it fits and you run one class lighter or one class heavier. Simple.

I think If you do away with shipping weights than there will be a whole lot more of dodging going on. Jumping to classes to avoid potential heads up. It certainly will be easier to do.

Also some combos will receive a big advantage. For example the 4th gen LS1 Firebirds in SS. Auto Ram air cars fit F,G,H at 319hp. Flat hoods H,I,J at 305. You telling me that ever Ram air car is not going to switch a flat hood and get 14hp off their combo the first day that shipping weights are done away with? I am sure there is others that will benefit also. Not exactly fair to other competitors running against those combos.

Finally I think it would cause more of a problem with people lighten their cars then running super heavy. Exotic materials (Carbon Fiber, Titanium, Aluminum, etc) aren't cheap and like most relaxing of the rules done in the past by NHRA will drive the cost of keeping a competitive car up dramatically.
JeremyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:09 AM   #32
B Parker

Liked 2,325 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
If Stock and SS don't start rolling back some new rules that have changed to make Racers with "new" combos happy then we will soon see "new" combos running what will be essentially ET-2 but is called Stock and the older combos will be running nostalgia stuff.
Billy this has to be the worst-case scenario I have seen in Stock and Super Stock in its 60 plus years of existence. I would not want to be the one that makes the decision on how to straighten this mess out. You can say just go back and put all the right info in. But where does it end. Do you get rid of the aluminum drive shaft that the 67 Shelby Mustangs get to use because years later Shelby added them as an option on the car? If someone was to go back and right all that is wrong, they may spend the next 5 years trying to figure it all out. And for everything they try to correct someone will come up with a reason to justify why it was done that way to begin with. It's uglier than ugly. I hate to see more rule changes and I would hate to see us lose any more racers. I hope they are able to come up with a solution that will affect us races in the least possible way. I hate to see them do away with shipping weights but at this point it has to be on the table. It's not the right thing to do but it may be the only thing they are able to do. You like to pick on my car and that's ok. Could you imagine how many others will start to nitpick on other cars if their car gets effected after they have been running it that way for years. It will start a war between all of us racers that I would hate to see. And so would the Powers to be. You see some of the post it's already started. That itself could end what is still left to Stock and Super Stock. Think about it sometimes what you wish for ends up being the biggest mistake. I want what's in best interest for the long-term health of our class. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 02-14-2022 at 12:51 AM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:05 AM   #33
Race Clean

Liked 129 Times in 51 Posts

Charlie,personally I would like to go one class lighter myself,I just gave an argument to think about, not thinking about myself so much

ps. We have met, and I like you
Old 02-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #34
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,557 Times in 1,987 Posts

Y’all get the rules fixed and I will race by those rules. If the rules get to crazy there are other places to race.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #35
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,154 Times in 786 Posts

For a non-contestant like me all this controversy is disheartening and would keep me from racing a stocker again if I chose to.
I see the merit in both Charley's and Billy's points of view but naively wish the clock could be turned back and we all know that never happens.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #36
countrypuppy4865

Liked 184 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Y’all get the rules fixed and I will race by those rules. If the rules get to crazy there are other places to race.
Well put Mr. Larry! Do what needs to be done and we will go from there. Just not sure why they make all these sudden changes that affect so many people. Hopefully they give us a little more heads up that way I know if I need to start building a new car or not!
countrypuppy4865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #37
Ron Ortiz

Liked 255 Times in 87 Posts

If they give us a heads up notice of what is coming, then you realize that you better start building that electrical Super Stocker.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #38
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 949 Times in 262 Posts

Seems that some racers would like to see Stock "evolve" into Comp, but with advertised HP rather than cubic inches. Oh yeah, and stock valve size and lift, with no hood scoops. I know there are already too many classes, but with the barn doors getting opened more every year, I pine for a time when racers liked Stock, for the challenge for working with, and around, the weaknesses of the combination that they chose, retaining ALL the factory components, of an actual package that was readily available to anybody to walk into any new car dealership, and drive home. I wish things were more like Junior Stock was, than Factory Stock and "enhanced" Stock has become.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:31 PM   #39

Liked 928 Times in 241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 View Post
Well put Mr. Larry! Do what needs to be done and we will go from there. Just not sure why they make all these sudden changes that affect so many people. Hopefully they give us a little more heads up that way I know if I need to start building a new car or not!
We know why, because someone asked for it, in fact Kevin said he was the reason why this happened, and the funny part is what he asked for did not get changed.

And as racers find something that may affect them. They deflect and bring something else up that may affect someone else. And then it goes on and on and on.

If you don't think the NHRA staff who make/change the rules don't read this stuff, you are mistaken.

We will all deal with whatever changes come down the pike, but don't believe someone is sitting behind a desk thinking what they can come up with to screw with us next.. These things are a reaction to someone else's actions. And in that person's view, it may be warranted, but it comes with a price as we can see, and the posts keep coming in.

1342 SS/GT

Last edited by 1347; 02-14-2022 at 02:21 PM.
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #40
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,578 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1347 View Post

If you don't think the NHRA staff who make/change the rules don't read this stuff, you are mistaken.

I can't think of much good that can come from the original post.
They'd eliminate ALL of us if they could.. You don't want to combine and eliminate half the classes..Don't give them the ammo to shoot us with.
Plus combining stick and auto and eliminating half pounds will totally screw up the combo races.. Most seem to want heads up runs, but wait till it's every other pair. The budget guys who can't or won't go to 8-9 points meets will drop out of the local stuff too, don't you think, Charlie Bob?
This is not the way to re- imagine class win payouts , if that's where we're going with this. But that's another thread...