Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #31
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Ford and Pro Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
Yes but any big corporation (or any well run business for that matter) aims to spend their advertising money to get the most exposure for the buck. It would be hard to justify expenditures in present day NHRA drag racing when you compare the difference between the 10's of thousands of spectators at a Nascar Sprint Cup race and the spectator attendance at an NHRA national event. Yes, NASCAR attendance is down but the sanctioning body is taking proactive measures to reverse the trend. Not that it is soley NHRA's responsibility but you can't even compare the two sanctioning bodies when it comes to the marketing, preservation and expansion of the sports they individually regulate. The lower "classes" in NASCAR (truck, short track and grassroots, etc.) have not even come close to the level of degradation that the NHRA Sportsman categories have experienced, not entirely but largely due to business and common sense proactive measures taken by the sanctioning body. Whenever a regulatory agency choses to ignore a sizeable faction of it's knowledgeable member population it is rare that a declining scenario improves. Sad but true.... JMHO
Good post Jimi.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Detroit Bob

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
Pro Stock is in need of a change anyway, they should be flat hoods with FI, 375 ci. No one can relate to 500 ci with 2 x4 carbs anymore. Funny cars with doors!
Casey Miles
248H Stock?
Lets face it the best you can say about the bodies on funny cars and pro stocks are, they look cartoonish. The beauty of pro stock in the early days, and funny car to an extent, were the bodies were recognizable . You didn't have to slap the name on the front of the thing to tell me what make it was.
Nhra needs to start over again with a rules package that makes sense for the manufacturers as well as the spectating public. That means in pro stock, stock bodies and production style engines. Funny car needs to adopt rules closer to the nostalgia funny cars.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #33
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
Good post Jimi.

That was Jim B, not Jimi B lol.

But none the less Id put my name on what he said lol

www.facebook.com/jimib1980
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #34
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi B View Post
That was Jim B, not Jimi B lol.

But none the less Id put my name on what he said lol
Got it wrong sorry to both of you guys.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Hard to tell new cars apart from a distance on the street. I don't see Pro Stock being any worse than Comp or the new SS/GT cars. How different can you make one jelly bean look from another anyway?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #36
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Put F/I on them so that you get rid of the idiotic looking whale sized hood scoops.That would be a start to bringing them back to looking like the street model.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #37
Dinsdale

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Put F/I on them so that you get rid of the idiotic looking whale sized hood scoops.That would be a start to bringing them back to looking like the street model.
The same can be said for Comp/Super Stock GT cars. The huge scoops are hideous and I wonder just how much they help. Cracks me up to see a 12 second bracket car with a scoop as tall as the windshield. And while we are scoop bashing, pick one style will ya!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mav.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	10138   Click image for larger version

Name:	1392K.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10139  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #38
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 329 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhuff View Post
GM does not even build Colbalts or GXP cars any more.I guess the saying win on sunday and sell on monday has gone out the window.
So true....
It amazes me how many people do not realize that some car labels on those Pro Stocks are not even produced anymore.

LOL....Pontiac wins on Sunday and dies a corporate death on Monday.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #39
lstanford

Liked 135 Times in 32 Posts

I think you are overlooking one big factor,DOLLARS.. Look at the sponsorship that you have on cars running in NASCAR. The sponsors are huge companies with deep pockets. I don't see the big sponsorship dollars at NHRA PRO STOCK in order to offset the cost of running these cars. The Japanese have never shown an interest in PRO STOCK. If the national sponsors dry up for NASCAR then you will see factory interest decline. I also think that the new car manufacturers would be more inclined to support PRO STOCK if the new cars looked like what you can buy in the show room and used engines, fuel injection and superchargers that are available to the public. The Japanese and some American manufacturers might gain interest with turbos on small displacement motors. The manufacturers cannot relate to 500 cubic inches and 2x4 carbs and a narrowed,chopped and lengthened car. The Mustang, Camaro and Dodge are easily recognized on the street but not at the drag strip. PRO STOCK is going to have to reinvent itself or sadly it will probably be gone. They have lost the fans and now do not attract the big sponsorship dollars. Just my 2 cents.
lstanford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #40
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
And Ford racers, the GT500 now comes with a carbon fiber driveshaft. Sounds like a superseded part in the making!

Gee I wonder what took em so long. As far as I know, I was the first drag racer to run a carbon fiber driveshaft. That was in 1990 !!!