Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #31
Chris Hill

Liked 244 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Why Aren't You Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
My question is why? Why are racers choosing to just stay home?
Because somebody has to pay for Mom and Dad's trip out west
Old 07-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #32
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I would enjoy raceing ,even though the cost is higher, just not as many races, the problem I have is ,MENEARES Disease, (Vertigo) ! It really hurts to not be able to race, after doing it since 1956. I have 2 race ready cars, if they ever figure out how to solve my problem ! Guys count your blessings, money is really the least of it !!,,, John
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #33
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

Not enough time. Plus, i'm 55, and not near as dedicated as when i was 18.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts

OK, so we've heard all the excuses as to dwindling car counts and there's probably dozens of others. Let's change this around and how about what can be done about it? And forget the fact of the economy or the a change in government. That'll probably never happen. What would it take to get you to come to a race? Why go to one and not another?
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #35
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Of course money but also time - read my signature comment

I have gotten older and put a higher value on how I spend my time

I still spend money foolishly just not nearly as often

I think this is an enevitable part of life as you grow older (over 60)
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #36
partsbob67

Liked 81 Times in 12 Posts

because they lowered the indexes. now my .2 under car isn't fast enough to make the index. oh well back to brackets i guess.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

I really feel bad for those unhappy with the sport and/or the folks that run it. Everyone has good ideas of how it should be. Some people take actions for change, and some will comply with whatever. Most of the time, the ones most agravated are the ones fixed on one thing or have all their eggs in one basket. I feel it's better to be flexible, Example: a Stocker that can also fit in S/S, now he can race any National Event he wants. Or in my case, someone who raced a car then retired it to a street rod. You can still enjoy your car, and maybe go back to racing down the road. My Roadster is so much fun on the street, and it cost me fifteen bucks a day for fuel. As I build this 60 Corvette for Super/Stock, it is very mild and very versatile and/or miltifaceted. Put on a muffler and go right on the street! I don't need to depend on NHRA,IHRA, to give me a place to play. But if I want to go there, I can! Remember, if you want to do it.....do it today! Your not promised tomorrow my friend! forge on and never give up!

WHEN YOU STOP TRYING.....YOU START DYING (Wade Mahaffey)

X Man thanks for the kind words. self taught, self made my brother.

MB You are the one closest to breaking even on this board! congrats on that champ!

JD Use your influence to promote more combos with Nitro, give them another place to go and get rid of the index for those shows. So the folks that can't make the index, (little guy) can still dial-in. Get-um in the door, allow them time to learn how to go fast. Bring them along and up to standards as time goes along. You need new blood lines on the farm!

Wade Mahaffey

Last edited by Wade Mahaffey; 07-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #38
WheelsUp
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces wild View Post
Michael I race on a budget trust me I mean budget. I work the State of Texas. I'm not doubting your numbers. here is what it cost me to race at Baton Rouge in May at the double. My wife looked at all the receipts. She wasn't amused at all!!LOL

Entry fee 135.00X2=270.00
Crew 40.00
Hotel bill 109.00
race gas 50.00
fuel for truck roundtrip 324.00 ouch 445 miles each way
food misc 75.00
How many rounds did you go?
Not complaining just stating my costs. I had never went that far before to a race. probably won't anytime soon because of the costs. We normally stick closer to home Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Crandall, Lufkin, etc.
How many rounds did you go?
WheelsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #39
WheelsUp
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meier View Post
Buff Daddy said a few lines down: "A trip to Atco or E-town would be about $100 round trip just in tolls, too."

So onto my excuse:

I share his sentiment. I felt I was personally mistreated at a race, NHRA (management) did nothing to rectify the situation, so I told them they are not going to get another dime of my money until they either apologize or at least there is a change in management.

I haven't been down a track in 9 months, never renewed my membership / competition numbers, and I am not missing it one bit.

If it weren't for the fact that I own a stocker and enclosed trailer, I'd at least be out of the class racing business (not racing all together, but at least this level). That's the big downside to all of this, I am making payments on equipment that is sitting there not being used. Hell, I had some guy come up to me at a gas station and offer me $2,000 for my Suburban. I had to say "no" because what am I gonna do, go out and put a downpayment on ANOTHER big truck? No way.

I keep saying that I am going to race IHRA one of these days, but in reality the nearest race is a little over 4 hours away. To get there on-time and not be rushed I am going to have to take time off from work, no doubt about it.

It's really a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
That's it four hours.
WheelsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #40
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
Wow. Maybe I'm not too good at math, but I'm seeing a lot of self-inflicted issues here. There have been at least two posts on this thread already noting that it costs $500 or $600 min. to go to a Divisional race.

A few weeks ago, I went to Richmond for a double-header Pro-Am/Sportsman National. Pickup and open trailer, round trip fuel, $100. Test n' tune $30. Pro-Am: $135 Sportsman Nat'ls: $150 2 nights hotel: $75 (and that was a really nice place... split cost, thanks to Mike Bolton) Total: $490 to run TWO races *and* a Test n' Tune. And that's a lot for me. Last year, I left the house early Saturday AM, and I stayed overnight at the track. Total cost for 2 races: $385 (less than $200/race)

Couple weeks ago, South Georgia Motorsports Park. Ran TWO Southern S/SS Association Races and TWO of Scotty Richardson's BottomBulb Series races. Fuel: $200. Hotel: $80 Entry Fees: $180 total Total Expenses: $460 That's an average of $115 per race.

Last week, Dunn-Benson Pro-Am. Left the house, ran the race, and came home all in the same day. Total cost: $160.

On another thread somewhere, I compared travel time and costs for a racer from middle Tennessee could run for an NHRA Divisional championship vs running for an IHRA Divisional AND World Championship.... the time (including time off work) and mileage to do the latter was nearly HALF.

As Beaver Bob says, "Put a pencil to it." I've personally had an amazing year, and I count my blessings, but I didn't get to where I am because I have a toterhome and stacker with my flavor of the week selection of a CJ or DP, or even a Super Stocker of any kind. I still tow an open trailer (that I won in a shootout race when I was a kid) with a 1500 Ram 4.7L (that I just paid off), and race a car that is paid off. (H*ll, if a guy hadn't pulled out in front of me years ago, I'd probably still be towing with my '89 Ramcharger... R.I.P.) I run races that make sense for me (see above paragraph), and when I do have to stay in a hotel, I try to split a room with somebody. For years, my season-long lodging costs have run around $700/year. How many motorhome payments is that? (and that's not touching on the massively increased fuel costs, etc.) I can run 55+ races a year for more than 15 years on what some guys have in their racing operations, and I'll still be racing when the big rigs are parked. I got a new EZ-Up and two new folding chairs this year. As the Legend told me, "Boy, ya can't hide money, can ya?"

So the question is, how bad do you want to go racing? If you make up your mind that you really want it, you can do it. Wade is dead-on. We are a proud bunch, but you *can* do it for half the cost if you really want to.
Mr Beard, If you take all those figures you came up with and double them now thats what it takes to race on the West Coast !!
National Event entry 280$ tickets for wife and kids 180$ cheap motel 3 nights 240$
Fuel 350$ round trip, Do you not maintain your Race Car that is a yearly expense ?
What about Race Gas Gotta have that dont we ? Food brought with us is a expense
Do you not eat ? I think your leaving a few things out dont ya lol.
Lets see Im no Math expert but I can Add.. Expense not even including most the costs is uh 1,050$ tax not included lol. God I love this sport
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote