HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #31
Brian Oakes

Liked 403 Times in 112 Posts
Default Re: Several Southern IHRA Tracks Switch To NHRA

Ya Tracey, it should be fast at the Rock, until you are 1.000 under then it will hurt you, thats why Open's will help, for people wanting to go fast, i towed 1600 miles this summer for a open to set a record, ended up with 1950' of air, still went 1.20 under for the record, that is why i go to many open's i can now. be nice to have CLT again in the spring for div.race , then they will have 3 races on that track a year, could use again 50 more a year, then the traction might be better??????
Brian Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
Denny Steward

Liked 113 Times in 21 Posts

So Tracy a guy buys four tracks spends millions of dollars on improvements, hires the right people to get the job done. Makes the tracks work, and you would rather race on a lessor track because its close to you. I just don't get it I have raced all over the east coast I remember some of northern D2 tracks that were a spin fest. I would rather travel 4 to 6 extra hours that has a two lane race track that the winners were not decided by the coin flip. I have skipped the Gainesville points race and the open there more than once because of track conditions. If drives me crazy when we as racers spend what we do, to go to a race and not have a level playing field.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #33
Tracy Robbins

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Steward View Post
So Tracy a guy buys four tracks spends millions of dollars on improvements, hires the right people to get the job done. Makes the tracks work, and you would rather race on a lessor track because its close to you. I just don't get it I have raced all over the east coast I remember some of northern D2 tracks that were a spin fest. I would rather travel 4 to 6 extra hours that has a two lane race track that the winners were not decided by the coin flip. I have skipped the Gainesville points race and the open there more than once because of track conditions. If drives me crazy when we as racers spend what we do, to go to a race and not have a level playing field.
No I'm not saying that Denny. He deserves to get a race at one of the tracks but not all. And by the way I doubt he spent more than Bruton Smith at Charlotte or Mr. Wells at Galot as they spent millions also and believe me, these aren't "lesser" tracks and I have raced on both w/ no problems hooking. This is more about trying to increase car count in the division and bring in new racers. Rockingham on the other hand probably hasn't had a dime spent on it in years!

Last edited by Tracy Robbins; 09-19-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: mispelled
Tracy Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #34
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
I Agree as well, it. Our division is hurting bad for racers . it would be nice to have a races in areas besides FL....I know montgmery always comes and,goes every few years...I do wish it was a stable event!! I can't understand why we can't,have a div race at Huntsville like back in the late 90s-early2000s

Stephen,
Is Alabama International Raceway in Gadsden still operating?

JimR
Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #35
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lightbulb Re: Several Southern IHRA Tracks Switch To NHRA

I say pick one track run all 6 races in a week be done with it and save on fuel and time!
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #36
Ok stocker

Liked 101 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Whaley View Post
I say pick one track run all 6 races in a week be done with it and save on fuel and time!
I love that idea but even two races same track one weekend works well.
Your idea would probably put more money in NHRA pocket quickly.
Ok stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #37
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok stocker View Post
I love that idea but even two races same track one weekend works well.
Your idea would probably put more money in NHRA pocket quickly.
Yep the 2 at Gainesville and Atlanta worked good and saved a lot of racers money and some other races had a div race then a natl so you could just leave your stuff but that might be tooooooo easy
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #38
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
Stephen,
Is Alabama International Raceway in Gadsden still operating?

JimR
Yes......
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #39
Denny Steward

Liked 113 Times in 21 Posts

Orlando Speed World Dragway, Lakeland Drag Strip, Emerald Coast Dragway and South Georgia Motorsports Park Join NHRA Member Track Network
9/20/2016

Four tracks owned by racing businessman Ozzy Moya, have joined the NHRA Member Track Network and all the facilities will be part of Division 2. Orlando Speed World Dragway in Orlando, Fla., Lakeland Drag Strip in Lakeland, Fla., South Georgia Motorsports Park in Cecil, Ga., and Emerald Coast Dragway in Holt, Fla., will join the Southeast division.

Orlando Speed World Dragway and The Lakeland Dragstrip are proud to announce their return the NHRA family. As two of the oldest continuously operating dragstrips in the state of Florida, the return will reignite a 50 year partnership for both facilities with the NHRA.

Orlando Speed World Dragway opened as Central Florida Dragway in February of 1966 and the Lakeland Dragstrip opened for business in April of 1970. Over their 50 years of existence, both tracks have seen some of the greatest racers in drag racing and have etched their history in the minds, hearts and communities in which they were born. They have seen world records, the triumphs and tribulations that are a part of racing, and created a new genre of street legal racing that has stormed the world. Generation after generation have come to watch, race and witness the awesome spectacle that is NHRA Drag Racing.

Emerald Coast Dragway is located 15 minutes west of Crestview, FL, and 35 minutes north of Ft. Walton Beach and Destin. The facility closed in November of 2011 and was purchased by Ozzy Moya and Bob Brown in 2016. The track is well known as a family friendly facility and has a loyal following of competitors. The track has been resurfaced, concrete guard walls installed, new lighting and PA system, new timing system, scoreboards and refurbishment of the popular electric plug-ins for the pits. Also the control tower has been rebuilt and modernized. A full schedule will be announced soon.

South Georgia Motorsports Park, a 350 acre facility, located north of Valdosta, Georgia, has long featured a full schedule of events for area racers. The multipurpose facility features a quarter-mile drag strip and a half-mile dirt oval. The track has played host to countless events including NHRA division meets, NHRA bracket finals, major drag radial events, SCCA road course events, multiple big money bracket races and car shows. The track is the home of NHRA Division 2 Summit Racing Series final champions five years in a row from 2009-2013.

“The sister tracks of the Lakeland Dragstrip and Orlando Speed World Dragway are happy to be back in the NHRA family as well as Emerald Coast Dragway and South Georgia Motorsports Park,” Moya said. “The past 50 years of history are only a gateway to the next 50 years of fulfilling the dreams that Wally Parks started and that every racer who has followed since have shared. It is good to be home again.”

“We happily welcome these four tracks into the NHRA Member Track Network,” said Rich Schaefer, Division 2 Director. “The passion and determination that Ozzy and his group brings to the NHRA and his family of tracks is second to none. We are excited to work with them going forward.”

As an NHRA-sanctioned track, the facility will be eligible to offer racers a variety of NHRA racing opportunities, including the NHRA Summit Racing Series, the NHRA Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League, NHRA Jr. Street and the NHRA Drags: Street Legal Style presented by AAA. Additionally, the track has the opportunity to host NHRA’s specialty events including the National DRAGSTER Challenge, NHRA Summit King of the Track, and NHRA Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League Challenge, where racers compete for the coveted Wally trophy.