Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #31
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 108 Posts
Default Re: Mopar 273-4bbl Combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncpe View Post
$600-900 is cheap for headers in comparison to others out there. The west coast stainless headers are $ 3400 just an FYI. You won't see any headers on stahl' site. All the fixtures were sold. I bought all the Chrysler fixtures along with all the collectors stahl had. I'm not trying to sell headers on here just saying that may be an option for you. I allready have one person that contacted me about building a set. I think I may have some 273 parts left if you need some. I would like to see this combo out there, I think it would be cool if it had a stick behind it also!
as i get my project closer to completion i will call someone for a set, but my question was on the whole car, do you consider 15 to 20k cheap?
David Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #32
grncpe

Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts

Yes I think that is cheap to build a car, I run a 70 cuda in super stock, by all means it's not a cheap car to build. I do all the work myself also except engine & trans. You can't build a stocker motor for what you are saying. Average competitive stocker motor is 20k
Old 11-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #33
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grncpe View Post
Yes I think that is cheap to build a car, I run a 70 cuda in super stock, by all means it's not a cheap car to build. I do all the work myself also except engine & trans. You can't build a stocker motor for what you are saying. Average competitive stocker motor is 20k
and that maybe the reason, we are seeing less and less new cars
Old 11-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #34
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

I've seen Mark's SS headers. Nice stuff, but out of my budget on the first go around. I'm hoping the 273 will be half of that $20k or less, preferably less. For an engine that will make about 325 HP more or less, I can't see putting $2k rods in it. I think I found the Ross pistons for around $800, hard to say what the ring pack will cost? My idea of cheap headers is the $200-300 ones. They used to make some 1-1/2" primary ones for trucks, but I think they are all 1-5/8" now. I'd like to dyno test with the cheap headers to figure out what size I need before popping for the mid-range headers (sub Performance Welding, above the cheapo headers).
Old 11-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #35
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
I bought a 1966 Dodge Dart off a local Stock/SS racer in the DFW area. It's pretty much just a roller at this point, but it has a cage already in it. My plan is to run it in Stock, natural K/SA at 13.47 #/HP, probably drop down to L/SA. So far, just have a couple of blocks, cranks, picked up some 920 heads at a local swap meet, bought an LD4B and a 1967 273 AFB off Terry Dye. I made a post over on Moparts about valve selection that works in these heads, and some body suggested I put a post over here. So, if anyone has any info they are willing to divulge (buy this, don't buy that, you're a loon for running a Mopar, etc.), please post or send me a PM. Thanks.
did that ld4b edelbrock come from the factory ?? thought it was a cast iron intake
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #36
Terry Bride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I talked to Kevin at Total Seal and they can supply spacers and 1.2 mm. rings for bore diameters that would work. He suggested that he work with whomever makes the pistons (CP or Ross) to insure the ring groove dimensions are correct. I did get prices from both Ross and CP and the Ross are a little cheaper. The pistons will have to be made to a specific bore size due to ring availability.
I second Frank Castros on consulting Paul Wong. I have only had a couple of PM's from Paul but they had some very good info. He has had more experience with 273's than anyone!
Terry Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #37
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonde View Post
did that ld4b edelbrock come from the factory ?? thought it was a cast iron intake
It got added to the engine blueprint specs, not sure when. I'm grateful as the LD4B was easier to find than the flat iron intake.

I think I found some 1.2mm rings in the 3.66" range. Good to know they have the spacers already. I'll check into it. I e-mailed CP to see what their pistons costs. My machinist thinks the Ross pistons are too hard (brittle?).

Paul has sent me a PM. I haven't got much detail yet, but I have plenty of time.

Last edited by James L Miller; 11-27-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added last line about Paul Wong.
James L Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #38
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
It got added to the engine blueprint specs, not sure when. I'm grateful as the LD4B was easier to find than the flat iron intake.

I think I found some 1.2mm rings in the 3.66" range. Good to know they have the spacers already. I'll check into it. I e-mailed CP to see what their pistons costs. My machinist thinks the Ross pistons are too hard (brittle?).

Paul has sent me a PM. I haven't got much detail yet, but I have plenty of time.
the amc's had the r4b also but it got yanked a year later ,,,, just seams odd
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #39
David Lee
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonde View Post
the amc's had the r4b also but it got yanked a year later ,,,, just seams odd
I think this got approved because of the d-dart, but I could be wrong
Old 11-27-2016, 11:16 PM   #40
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,700 Times in 1,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bride View Post
I talked to Kevin at Total Seal and they can supply spacers and 1.2 mm. rings for bore diameters that would work. He suggested that he work with whomever makes the pistons (CP or Ross) to insure the ring groove dimensions are correct. I did get prices from both Ross and CP and the Ross are a little cheaper. The pistons will have to be made to a specific bore size due to ring availability.
I second Frank Castros on consulting Paul Wong. I have only had a couple of PM's from Paul but they had some very good info. He has had more experience with 273's than anyone!
Paul Wong is the bomb, he is the National Performer award winner . Angela Bushmaker also has a bad AZZ 273 , she runs extremely fast.
MR DERBY CITY is online now   Reply With Quote