Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #411
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 181 Times in 111 Posts
Default Re: Class Nationals event planning

Mike:

Lyn Smith just emailed me and suggested discussing the Pure Stock Rules and made several good points.

Such as a point you made earlier that Stockers just cannot show up with mufflers added and call themselves Pure Stockers.

The Prime Differences are the Following;

Full Time Mechanical Water Pump
Full Muffler System. My car still has CATS on them.
IHRA certified Pure Stocker Cam and Stock Spring Pressures
Stock Rods, Beams can be Polished to reduce fractures.
Maximum 9 inch Slick diameter is 29 inches
Any DOT tagged Rear Tire is ok.
Can run Pump Fuel, race optional.
Roll Bar needed if the car runs under 11.50ET
Which means Certified Seat Belts, otherwise Stock Seat Belts are ok.

Most everything else is the same unless I missed something.

Optional working AC beneficial for Summer

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #412
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

PURE STOCK - refer to IHRA Rulebook, page 47, available online at http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/...tion/?i=136499

Tech officials Danny Waters, Sr and Jim Woods can also answer technical questions regarding these classes.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #413
Dirk Olson

Liked 128 Times in 34 Posts

Michael,

I am assuming that there will be fuel tech there as well. Also what kind of wheather can we expect? Being from Wisconsin that time of year it can be cold and rainy and YES can even have snow.

Dirk
Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #414
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Olson View Post
I am assuming that there will be fuel tech there as well. Also what kind of wheather can we expect? Being from Wisconsin that time of year it can be cold and rainy and YES can even have snow.
Yes, we will have fuel check.

RE: weather, on another thread somewhere, I had posted historical weather data and high temps Fri-Sat-Sun, first weekend in May each year at National Trail Raceway. Here is the info:

2013 - 78 / 73 / 73 - all clear
2012 - 87 / 81 / 80 - SAT (light rain 8:30PM-10:30PM only)
2011 - 57 / 64 / 69 - SUN (.07" precip 8AM-9AM only)
2010 - 82 / 71 / 73 - SAT (.04" precip 11:20AM -1PM only), SUN: wash
2009 - 71 / 62 / 64 - FRI: wash, Sat-Sun all clear
2008 - 80 / 70 / 63 - FRI (.12" precip 5:30PM-8PM), SAT (6AM-Noon), SUN clear
2007 - 75 / 66 / 66 - SAT (2PM-7PM), Fri & Sun clear
2006 - 72 / 61 / 64 - all clear
2005 - 55 / 54 / 55 - all clear
2004 - 62 / 79 / 52 - FRI: wash, SAT clear til 10PM, SUN rain til 1PM, SUN clear
2003 - 66 / 63 / 69 - SAT sprinkle @ 7PM, Fri & Sun clear
2002 - 57 / 66 / 72 - all clear

Really, in 12 years, only 2010 would've been really bad. There's a couple of years that we could've gotten through with some schedule adjustments. Historically, might have to deal with a stray shower once at some point during the weekend. Those are about as good of odds as you could ask for.

So, it should be somewhere between 54 and 87. ;-)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #415
Michael Beard
VIP Member

We would like to thank Jeff Jewell of Jewell Computing Services for putting up $100 to the Best Wheelstand in Super Stock in the final qualifying session!

Jewell Computing Solutions, LLC provides complete computing solutions and services to assist businesses, small and large, as well as individuals in their computing needs. Anything from single systems or parts to complete, turnkey networks can be supplied. Contact 908-213-6810 or www.jewellcomputing.com

Last edited by Michael Beard; 10-30-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #416
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Did you see the car count they had for the combo at Etown? Maybe a Class Nationals in Division 1 is in order!!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #417
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 702 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
Did you see the car count they had for the combo at Etown? Maybe a Class Nationals in Division 1 is in order!!
I'll 2nd that Bryan.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #418
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Gentlemen -- Yes, 80+ cars is an outstanding S/SS Combo race. It is possible for a track to do this by making it an add-on to an existing event. In order to hold a 3-day standalone Stock and Super Stock event, with all of the additional staff, promotion, sponsor commitments, track rental, etc., however, requires significantly more than 50 cars per eliminator. The event was placed at Columbus in order to make it accessible by not only Div. 1 racers, but also racers from many more regions of the country. Doing multiple events of this kind, particularly in the same region, could saturate the market and would likely dilute the car count and sponsorship availability for each. I would like to get through a successful 2014 event before getting too far ahead of the game.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #419
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 314 Posts

Nothing against Bryan's post and what Mike is doing with the Class Nationals but, haven't we tried to big Stock/SS Races out here in D1. Dave Ley put together a great race the Wednesday before the divisional event at Atco a few years back (June 2008) and it was an ok car count but, could have been better and they paid out 10 grand. Then Lee and Brian put together the combo in the hills event at Numidia and the 1st one was attended pretty well for being on Mothers Day Weekend (92 cars I think) and they paid out 10 grand. The following year was ehhh (40 cars) and this year was just pitiful (27 cars with a guaranteed 3 grand to win). I took a gamble and separated Stock & Super Stock because that's what a lot of racers wanted and e-mailed me about. I understand it was on top of Charlotte and for some (Bryan & Byron) were going for a World Championship so I understand about that. Maybe it was the location, people say they hate the drive to Numidia and that it's slow (Not like we're setting records) but, if NHRA put a points meet up there everyone would go in droves. Everyone told me that Mothers Day and anything after the Dutch were off limits but as we proved yesterday 80 cars showed up at E-Town and 92 at Numidia in 2011 on Mom's Day...so maybe thats the answer to it all.

Other things that get thrown into the mix is weekends free! With more and more National, Divisionals, Opens being added to the schedule then you add ASRA, ECSSA, Cam-Am Races plus big races like Mike's it makes it hard to find free weekends and we've been lucky the past few years in D1 with r---. The other factor is track rental, not sure what Mike is getting Columbus for but, the tracks I've looked into for a possible Nitroplate Stk/SS Shootout or 90 Nationals want close to 14 to 16 grand for a weekend of rental. So unless I get a hold of a huge sponsor or hit the lottery for next year I don't see it taking off again.

Trust me I'm not putting anyone down for attempting it but, just a forewarning. Mike has done an awesome job with this race and wished the sponsors that are in D1 that are supporting him came on board for my race but, the past is the past. Hopefully something will pop up in the next few weeks as I have one option left if not get your rear to Ohio in May and support Mike's race!

Last edited by BKSG1198; 10-28-2013 at 10:30 PM.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #420
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Holgar Kurschner of Super Restorations is posting $100 to the highest qualified carbureted Mopar in Stock Eliminator. Supercar Restorations specializes in Chrysler products. Check out some of their work at www.supercarrestorations.com, or call (585) 593-1530.

In case you ever wondered where Mark Dickerson's car ended up... you know Holgar's got good taste!