HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2024, 07:51 PM   #41
Pauley

Liked 51 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Crap, th350 emergency

Well this my first post here and followed Ed Bigley aka 1290 because drr is dead since he left. That being said as Dawsons dad i do have a few things to say.

1 thank you everyone for your encouragement to him and well intended advice.
2 yall have no idea how hard dawson has worked on this stocker. He bought it with his $. Spent his time and many late nights doing every bit by himself. I helped very very little. Is it the nicest or best? Not by a long shot. But it is his and i am proud of him.
3 thank you 1290. You were his motivation to not give up at orlando. He said i will show up 1st round when others would have packed it in. So thank you 1290 for teaching him determination.
4 i have taught Dawson much about drag racing which he has done very well and i would put his talent up against anybody in any class no matter what equipment he is in. That said when he was 8 years old the best advice i gave him was this. God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. When you are interacting with people who know more than you do twice as much listening and half as much talking and you can learn from others.
5 i dont fight Dawsons battles. He is grown and makes his own way. 1290 was much motivation so props to Ed. He is still gonna be a friend to me. Heck i like him a lot.

Finally this. Thanks again to all who have offered him advice and encouragement. Even ridicule. He has learned many years of experience from you by listening. But i will say this. You all will have to beat him at some point because he is hard headed and wont quit.

ep
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:48 PM   #42
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Dawson, You have a PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:32 AM   #43
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,678 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
the best advice i gave him was this. God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. When you are interacting with people who know more than you do twice as much listening and half as much talking and you can learn from others.
ep
You said that last year when we were talking, I love that quote I think we can all use that
You and I know he will be just fine. Looks like he is making a lot of friends and progress
See you soon!
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:32 AM   #44
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 424 Times in 204 Posts

Thank you Ed, I value our friendship.

Dawson, if I can help you in any way just ask.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #45
JP1738

Liked 344 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cimarolli View Post
I have seen this happen a few times. Most people only put one or two reverse frictions in a footbrake transmission like yours. When you tear it down I think you will find the reverse clutches welded to the plates and all the lugs knocked off the clutches. We all know a person is not going to burn up reverse backing out of a pit area. However, if you often shift it into neutral after the run and your shifter is a bit out of adjustment that's how this happens.
I'll bet it is the reverse clutches like you've described. That said, I don't think what you've described caused it. I have a standard pattern valve body so I have to let it wind down through the shutdown in 3rd gear as it's the last shift location on my set-up
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:55 AM   #46
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Haddad View Post
Dawson, good effort to get the car together and get it to the track. When
you get home and get the trans out and looked at, IF it turns out that there is something wrong with the case,(Which I doubt) let me know. I just put the
innards of mine into an ATI case,(couldn't be bothered with blankets, Shields, flexplate shields etc. as there isn't any room in my trans tunnel to
begin with. So, i have a good spare case that you can have for free. If you
catch me on a good day I might even pay the freight, or split it with you if my wife reads this. After the tough weekend you had, and the crap kicking you took here after being generous enough to keep us up to date on your exploits, I want you to know that most of the S/SS guys are really a great group. We still want you to a serious medical event if you're in the other lane, other than that, a great group of people.

J.R.
haha man I appreciate it! I'm with you, I doubt it's case related, but if it is I'll let everybody know. Meeting all the fine folks here and at the race track has been great, looking forward to more! It was a tough weekend for sure, but I did manage to limp it to the starting line just in case, you never know what can happen in drag racing. Unfortunately, I think my opponent caught wind of my unfortunate circumstances and made sure not to go red or break out. maybe I'll get a rematch with a few less neutrals soon!
Liked
Old 02-19-2024, 11:05 AM   #47
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Based on your first time trial, you can bet that you lost the High Gear clutch. That clutch must come on along with the Lo/Rev clutch to get Reverse. Should be an easy fix once you get the transmission out of the car. The most common failure mode is the lip seals on the High gear piston are leaking. Make sure when it is rebuild that there isn't excessive clutch travel, that will lead to those seals to get damaged in short order.
I think you are right. The fluid is dark and pretty much smoked. Hit high gear and it basically just free-revved. I could back off the throttle and get the transmission to hook up, but as soon as I went back to WOT it just drove through it. I'll post a full recap, pictures, and details of exactly what happened on my Builds thread later for everyone to see and post opinions/suggestions. Still getting caught up on this one at the moment.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #48
JP1738

Smile Re: Crap, th350 emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
Yall have no idea how hard Dawson has worked on this stocker. He bought it with his $. Spent his time and many late nights doing every bit by himself. I helped very very little. Is it the nicest or best? Not by a long shot. But it is his and I am proud of him.

You all will have to beat him at some point because he is hard headed and wont quit.

ep
Thanks Dad. For everything. I am more blessed than most to have a father in my life that supports, teaches, encourages, questions, and helps me from time to time. A God fearing man who always put our family and my racing before his. In case some don't know here, my father is a very talented and accomplished bracket and .90 racer. I envy and respect his drag racing ability and have been very fortunate to learn from him over the years. He studies his craft, honed his talent, and has forced others to reap those consequences while being one of the nicest, giving, and humble competitors who's only goal is to succeed and help others in the process.

All this time being on here and building this car, I knew your relationship with EB, but rather than name drop I chose to be myself. Just a guy doing his best, asking questions I don't have the answer to. I want to be like you. Humble, respectful, revered.

And Mr. Ed, aka 1290 (lol), besides my own intrinsic motivation, your comments definitely helped drive me to finish the car in time to take it to Orlando. My dreams of grandeur were dashed swiftly, but I did manage to pull up for first round and make a hit in competition with a car I built. It's a shame everyone came to there senses before I could make you eat crow. I still have that mean message on my phone lock-screen, I look at it everyday. And while I work late at the shop into the night after working my day job everyday, I'll look at it too. Thank you for your apology, I appreciate and accept it. I was just as combative too, so it's not all on you of course. I've gotten many things I'm grateful for from my dad, and being hard-headed is one of them.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #49
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,556 Times in 1,729 Posts

D, If your T350 doesn't have a 2.75 low, I wouldn't put too much more into it.
Your car needs a T 200, but at least you know you can run under the index with what you've got. If you decide to patch it up, it shouldn't cost too much, at that hp level.
It is quite possible that the converter is full of trash by now, so you'll want to figure that into the equation too.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:56 PM   #50
JP1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
D, If your T350 doesn't have a 2.75 low, I wouldn't put too much more into it.
Your car needs a T 200, but at least you know you can run under the index with what you've got. If you decide to patch it up, it shouldn't cost too much, at that hp level.
It is quite possible that the converter is full of trash by now, so you'll want to figure that into the equation too.
Very true, I've had another user reach out with the same sentiment. I'll flush it out and see if it's packed with crud. Might have to send it off and gone through. Probably try to loosen it a touch while I'm at it. Any good recommendations that could get a converter turned around pretty quick in the NC/SC area? If possible, I'd like to throw the new trans in and test again this weekend to make sure the new trans is good to go. If I can find a local place, I'll just drive it there so I don't have to wait on or risk shipping.

Last edited by JP1738; 02-19-2024 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Don't use words good