Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #41
jamie2370

Liked 239 Times in 90 Posts
Default Re: No Blinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdart View Post
I guess this means NO more dark tinted windows in any category.
Tinted windows were never legal in the 1st place, just not enforced. Ask Jim Perry about his SG S10 that used to have tinted windows. Any altering of a helmet face shield is illegal as well(like painting the sides and leaving the center open). They will take your helmet, ask how I know lol.
Factory sunvisors can NOT be altered either.
Those that use blinders in Stock can just adopt the method of holding it up by hand and then dropping it. That is used alot in footbrake racing. That being said, I absolutely love the new rules, just wish they would enforce some of the "already" rules.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:05 PM   #42
Jim Caughlin

Liked 709 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2370 View Post
Tinted windows were never legal in the 1st place, just not enforced. Ask Jim Perry about his SG S10 that used to have tinted windows. Any altering of a helmet face shield is illegal as well(like painting the sides and leaving the center open). They will take your helmet, ask how I know lol.
Factory sunvisors can NOT be altered either.
Those that use blinders in Stock can just adopt the method of holding it up by hand and then dropping it. That is used alot in footbrake racing. That being said, I absolutely love the new rules, just wish they would enforce some of the "already" rules.
There is a specific set of rules about size and how a blinder could or could not be constructed, see section 7.8 in the general rule section. Quite honestly, the 32 sq inch size is way bigger than they need to be but even at that, I think it probably was being ignored and that's how we got to this ban. As I stated above, my blinder are tiny and don't obstruct my view in any way. I have some ideas about how to legally skirt the new rules but they certainly are not going to improve my overall visibility so if the idea here is a safety issue, what I have currently is the safer method. Jim C SS6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-19-2023, 03:39 PM   #43
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post

Austin, I have a TON of respect for you as a racer. Don’t you think the racers that hold 4 or 5 and lock up the brakes at the finish line and send their cars into the wall, ….well don’t you think that is a SAFETY issue ?? …You do realize the rule book says NO SANDBAGGING ….
Could you please reference this “no sandbagging rule”? I’m not even sure what section to look.
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:20 PM   #44
Tony Fagnilli

Liked 196 Times in 42 Posts

Doesn't really matter to me. I sucked with the blinder. And, I sucked without the blinder,.lol
Tony Fagnilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #45
Stan Weiss

Liked 584 Times in 315 Posts

This is from the 2020 rule book, I don't know if it changed since then. But it looks like what some have or want has not been legal.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blinders.gif
Views:	621
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	65809  
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:11 PM   #46
Barry Polley

Liked 648 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub464Q View Post
At the core, I think it stemmed from a safety issue in the pits and an incident that occurred.

Bluntly, I think the reactions are going to be polar opposite. Those in favor of this rule, feel they are at an advantage (publicly or privately in favor). Those against it, feel they are at a disadvantage.
You could have an accident with a stock visor in your tow truck. Should the feds ban them? Opening quotas out here won’t fill. We need races if you haven’t noticed. Different story back there and I get it. Doubles help but there’s a ton of travel and time. This doesn’t work well for the business owners and folks still working and not so much for retired folks either. Have you seen the Div 7 compact schedule?
There are several things that need to be addressed, blinders, not one of them.
Barry Polley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:00 PM   #47
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

When do you flip up or take down your blinder? As you swing off the end of the track? As you approach fuel check or scales? Or do you drive through the pits with the blinder in place? The same questions can be asked for taped helmet shields.

Asking for a friend.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #48
Jim Caughlin

Liked 709 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
This is from the 2020 rule book, I don't know if it changed since then. But it looks like what some have or want has not been legal.

Stan
That is the description that has been in the rulebook for the past several years.
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:47 PM   #49
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post

Stan

What we have always used fits well within those regulations. It attaches to the roll cage, pivots, and is well within the size restrictions.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:06 PM   #50
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 7,168 Times in 1,386 Posts

Hey, I am all for safety . While we are at it how about those guys with 5 or 6 trophy stickers on the windshield remove them. You know, in the name of SAFETY. I won’t dare reveal his name but there is a certain OLD Chevy wagon that must have 15 Trophy decals on his windshield ….The rule book sez the windshield must be CLEAR ….
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked