HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #41
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

These are the upper bushings I used in my 68 Impala I/S car. I got them from my friend Pat Henneberry, an old school racer from the sixties. he had these bronze bushing stock (which he used on his 68 Camaro Modified car which is still raced today) which I just had to chuck up on a lathe and cut to size for a press fit plus increase the center hole a little. These will be going in my 65 Impala stocker I am building now. These cost me $0 The front lower control arm bushing was a aluminum round stock which I chucked up on the lathe and machine to fit, pressed fit a bronze center bushing for the bolt to go through, which I also just added a grease fitting, they worked too. I have to make a new set for the 65 Impala.

Another high tech are the solid body bushings simply made out of that same aluminum round stock. They are 1/2 inch shorter than stock, effectively "lowering" the body 1/2 over the frame.

I am glad I hang around guys like my friend Pat, they started racing when there wasn't a "Global West" or an Alf fella making all the parts for you. I fabricated a lot of parts and learned how to use a lathe, bridgeports and welders along the way. my 68 Impala was the first race car I built, people said It would be a parts breaker at 4100 lbs with a stick. Even though i only made 100 passes on car, no breakage with 7 tenths under.

Will Lamprecht
1965 Impala H/I Stck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushinggs.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	21339   Click image for larger version

Name:	body_bushing.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	21340  
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #42
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Most people remove old bushings with a blunt air chisel after putting rust penetrant on the areas where the bushings are pressed onto the arms. It is fairly common for the holes in the arms to be a little out of square, either factory, from use, or after removing the old bushings. You will find out when you try the solid steel bushings; bushings with soft inserts mask the issue. You may have to open up the holes in the arms a little, tack weld the outer bushing sleeves, and check for alignment with a 1/2" rod and the inner sleeves. Then you bend the ends of the arms until alignment is perfect. Upper arm bushings are often one piece and you just weld the bushings in as best you can, after opening up the holes in the arms enough to achieve perfect alignment. Press fit is OK if you end up with perfect alignment, and that may not happen. Use either high pressure chassis grease or moly cam lube on the friction surfaces.
I can do all these checks and will. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by impstocker View Post
These are the upper bushings I used in my 68 Impala I/S car. I got them from my friend Pat Henneberry, an old school racer from the sixties. he had these bronze bushing stock (which he used on his 68 Camaro Modified car which is still raced today) which I just had to chuck up on a lathe and cut to size for a press fit plus increase the center hole a little. These will be going in my 65 Impala stocker I am building now. These cost me $0 The front lower control arm bushing was a aluminum round stock which I chucked up on the lathe and machine to fit, pressed fit a bronze center bushing for the bolt to go through, which I also just added a grease fitting, they worked too. I have to make a new set for the 65 Impala.

Another high tech are the solid body bushings simply made out of that same aluminum round stock. They are 1/2 inch shorter than stock, effectively "lowering" the body 1/2 over the frame.

I am glad I hang around guys like my friend Pat, they started racing when there wasn't a "Global West" or an Alf fella making all the parts for you. I fabricated a lot of parts and learned how to use a lathe, bridgeports and welders along the way. my 68 Impala was the first race car I built, people said It would be a parts breaker at 4100 lbs with a stick. Even though i only made 100 passes on car, no breakage with 7 tenths under.

Will Lamprecht
1965 Impala H/I Stck
Thanks for telling me how you did it. I can get bushings like you show from National Bronze or McMaster Carr and machine to fit as well. I have been tailing around with my Dad for as long as I can remember (I'm 34) and asking questions as much as possible.Chassis shops, engines shops, tranny shops, race tracks, etc. I want to learn it all and I am not afraid to ask the 'stupid' question to try and do so. No one knows it all, but I am also willing to pass on any knowledge that I learn, to make good karma to get some new knowledge.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
Sean Marconette

Liked 179 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I want to learn it all and I am not afraid to ask the 'stupid' question to try and do so. No one knows it all, but I am also willing to pass on any knowledge that I learn, to make good karma to get some new knowledge.

Andy,
That right there is the key! Anyone that states they have done it all and knows it all. Has not done anything and doesn't know ###t either. There are a lot of good people here to help you.

Good luck

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #45
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Andy,
That right there is the key! Anyone that states they have done it all and knows it all. Has not done anything and doesn't know ###t either. There are a lot of good people here to help you.

Good luck

Sean
Thanks Sean!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #46
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

Andy, one thing I learned, I wanted to go Drag Racing, so I hung around drag racers, not baseball players, then I remained open, ask questions and overall remain teachable! When i think I know everything, I'm in trouble.

I also went to the track and looked at cars like mine. really looked, under and everything. Most everybody loves to talk about there cars and like to help. When i started running my 68 with the Jerico and McCleod clutch Jeff Lee (w the AMX) who post all the time on this forum helped me a lot, now i am looking for some help on how to run an Automatic successfully-

I try to run my life remaining teachable too- your on the right track-
Good Luck
Will
"Big 'ole chevy stocker" 65 Impala
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #47
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,579 Times in 1,734 Posts

Quote:

Will Lamprecht
1965 Impala H/I Stck
Will, only problem I see with solid lowers is you can't pull the lower ball joint forward to gain positive caster..You'll have to do it all on the top.
Just hope that both side "center" in the same place.
You really want a ball type pivot on the bottom with a strut rod type suspension.
Take a look at some of the stuff for early Mustangs or Chevy II's
One other thing..THICKER body bushings give you more room between the carb and the hood.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #48
Chipper Chapman

Liked 142 Times in 64 Posts

"Will, only problem I see with solid lowers is you can't pull the lower ball joint forward to gain positive caster..You'll have to do it all on the top.
You really want a ball type pivot on the bottom with a strut rod type suspension.
Take a look at some of the stuff for early Mustangs or Chevy II's"

Doesn't apply to the chevelle. They use a conventional lower a-arm, no strut rod. You could get tricky and offset the center bore of the bushing if need be however.
Chipper Chapman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #49
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,579 Times in 1,734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
"Will, only problem I see with solid lowers is you can't pull the lower ball joint forward to gain positive caster..You'll have to do it all on the top.
Take a look at some of the stuff for early Mustangs or Chevy II's"

Doesn't apply to the chevelle. They use a conventional lower a-arm, no strut rod. You could get tricky and offset the center bore of the bushing if need be however.
I know this Chipper .
I'm quoting Will with the full size 65 Impala
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #50
Andy Friar

Quote:
Andy, one thing I learned, I wanted to go Drag Racing, so I hung around drag racers, not baseball players, then I remained open, ask questions and overall remain teachable! When i think I know everything, I'm in trouble.

I also went to the track and looked at cars like mine. really looked, under and everything. Most everybody loves to talk about there cars and like to help. When i started running my 68 with the Jerico and McCleod clutch Jeff Lee (w the AMX) who post all the time on this forum helped me a lot, now i am looking for some help on how to run an Automatic successfully-

I try to run my life remaining teachable too- your on the right track-
Good Luck
Will
"Big 'ole chevy stocker" 65 Impala
Thanks Will!