Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #41
Chuck Norton

Liked 72 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Could Top Stock Come Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
For sure don't let those pesky LS cars in. At 26 years, they're too new and modern!

Al Corda
Sure thing, Al. There are still some of us who remember how it went at Norwalk in 2000!
Old 02-12-2023, 09:30 AM   #42
Joey Bohannon

Liked 62 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Oh, OK!
Billy, i am not referring to "racers" but NHRA and the Factories have made it clear they aren't. You would have a better shot at the NMCA.
Joey Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #43
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,197 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bohannon View Post
Billy, i am not referring to "racers" but NHRA and the Factories have made it clear they aren't. You would have a better shot at the NMCA.
Joey, IMHO I believe that sometime soon NHRA is going to have to slim things down. I don't know how or what they're going to do but beyond 2024 only the Mustang will be around and FFFord isn't all that interested in them (NHRA).
I kinda/sorta have a feeling that the FS/FX stuff is going to become the future of S/SS and TD/TS will be the same for S/G S/C AT a Natl. Event level. I'm led to believe this based on what they're (NHRA) allowing for entries at their events. I believe that they're trying to get us USED to not being able to get into their events. I think that we'll always (for as long as they last) be welcome at Div.s and Opens just not Natl.s.
Think about it, FS/FX and TS/TD are easier to police for them and easier to understand for their "paying customers" who are (apparently) their main concern.
I guess where I'm going with this is...............
it sure would be a lot easier to call FS "Top Stock", wouldn't it.

I'm OK..........it's everybody else.

Last edited by Billy Nees; 02-12-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:47 PM   #44
TOSTO RACING

Liked 501 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
For sure don't let those pesky LS cars in. At 26 years, they're too new and modern!

Al Corda
LOL EXACTLY!

Kind of like saying I want Top Stock to come back ,but only if I can win and manipulate the rules for my car lol lol lol.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #45
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
I believe that they're trying to get us USED to not being able to get into their events. I think that we'll always (for as long as they last) be welcome at Div.s and Opens just not Natl.s.
Has anyone noticed that class run offs, for the most part, are at Divisionals now?
Old 02-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #46
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 10,050 Times in 2,084 Posts

Uncle Al spanked several folks that year. He showed everyone that the LS cars were way superior to all of the old carb stuff at Indy that year. Al and Lester tore down and were legal. I think Bryan the brain did the tune. He kicked me real bad, he ran more 1/8 mph than he ran 1/4 mph. I think it was that dominant performance by him that caused NHRA the have the FI classes next year. After he sold the car I raced it for class and had a better light and barely turned on the win light.

Top Stock would be fun but I would not sell my hart and sold to the Devil for a tenth of a second anymore.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #47
B Parker

Liked 2,328 Times in 458 Posts

Having run Top Stock (Dave Ley) rules multiple times it's the most fun you can have keeping your cloths on. I would not only run the class but get involved with some sponsorship money. I Have never run an LS combo. So maybe Al or someone could help me out with this one. I see that the LS is rated in a Camaro at 382 hp but in the Corvette at only 350. That would make the Corvette about 300 lbs. less in weight than the Camaro. Old school math would be about 3 tenths quicker. I would think just looking at both cars the Corvette is more aerodynamic then the Camaro. Why the big difference? So do they have to run stock brakes? Is being more aerodynamic hurting performance by that much? Do they have to put on a different throttle body? Please help me out on this one.

If the class was to catch on and run at several events. Anyone want to sell me one of these handicapped Corvettes. If you can't make it run fast enough at that weight I'd like to have a shot at it

I might have to give my old car away. I see that nobody is interested in them. LOL BP

Last edited by B Parker; 02-14-2023 at 04:32 PM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:14 PM   #48
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,702 Times in 520 Posts

Quote:
Joey, IMHO I believe that sometime soon NHRA is going to have to slim things down. I don't know how or what they're going to do but beyond 2024 only the Mustang will be around and FFFord isn't all that interested in them (NHRA).
I kinda/sorta have a feeling that the FS/FX stuff is going to become the future of S/SS and TD/TS will be the same for S/G S/C AT a Natl. Event level. I'm led to believe this based on what they're (NHRA) allowing for entries at their events. I believe that they're trying to get us USED to not being able to get into their events. I think that we'll always (for as long as they last) be welcome at Div.s and Opens just not Natl.s.
Think about it, FS/FX and TS/TD are easier to police for them and easier to understand for their "paying customers" who are (apparently) their main concern.
I guess where I'm going with this is...............
it sure would be a lot easier to call FS "Top Stock", wouldn't it.
I dont think that will be the case anytime soon. There is over 1700 cars that competed for national points in stock and super stock last year. There is nowhere near that many in FS and FX to take over. Too much money coming from the sportsman classes that they have now. Once the factories stop producing the COPO, Drag Pack and CJ mustangs the parts will become unavailable unless the aftermarket steps in.
I dont know what the future of our classes holds but by looking at the age of most of the competeitors it wont be around for ever.

Last edited by Mike Pearson; 02-14-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Mike Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #49
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bohannon View Post
I don't see it happening with the early model cars. The factory support is with the later model factory race cars, no one is interested in the old stuff anymore unfortunately.
Bull****.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-17-2023, 07:07 PM   #50
George Fitzpatrick

Liked 98 Times in 23 Posts

Best time I had was the year 2005 where we ran Top Stock at all the events in D1 winning @ maple grove over Gary Richard. Dave Ley did such a great job in running the program and the competition was great and memorable. Hopefully it makes comeback.
Click image for larger version

Name:	top stock class.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	65863