Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Frequency of double redlights

I agree with Bill D.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
Ellis V. Buth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I hadn't read the earlier posts in a while and had forgotten that you had said that. Yeah, it makes a lot of sense when stated that way...and i think it would make a difference because I know that it happens more than once a year. Sorry for being mis-informed and out of the loop.

Ellis V. Buth
3655 W/S 1976 Pinto Station Wagon
Ellis V. Buth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #43
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Just tryin' to be fair...

Bill,show me where it's written that everything has to be "fair".Life is far from fair.
I appreciate your frequent "Crusades" on here.Pretty good for a guy with no intention on ever racing again.
You're persistence might be what influences the racing organizations to make changes that will not change your life one iota,but may make changes in the rules which present racers may have to deal with,maybe not for the good either.Think about it.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #44
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dedman View Post
Gary,
I agree that the finish line lights need some attention, for the reasons you pointed out.

How would you attack this problem?

Ideas????
Bill,

How about a blinder on the finish line sensor lights, that's low enough that only the tires can determine the race winner..with a possible height of 2-4" above the ground---low enough that no matter how hard someone noses down their front end at the stripe, the lights won't recognize anything but the tire...as it was with the older cars, and should be still now...what do you think???
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 AM   #45
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Ed said: RE: "Just tryin' to be fair..."

Bill,show me where it's written that everything has to be "fair".

It isn't written, but don't you think it's fair for your Rambler to get a headstart when you're running against a 426 Hemi car? Do you volunteer to run 'em heads-up, because consistent fairness is not something that you think is important?
Using your "logic," NHRA could say, "No; life's not fair; we're running this anemic, wheezing six-banger heads up agaist the Hemis; How can he complain??? LIFE'S NOT FAIR... he even said so!!!"

What a lame excuse for a dumb-*** system like a red light protocol that ALWAYS gives the advantage to the quicker car! Running a slow car, one that is victimized most of the time by this lopsided mess, and CONDONING IT, because "Life's Not Fair!" is a good candidate for next year's Darwin awards.

Ed also wrote, "I appreciate your frequent "Crusades" on here.Pretty good for a guy with no intention on ever racing again".

Well, I don't run a Class car, but I have a Bracket car that is getting faster all the time (no AHFS for cars like mine), and for a guy who has "no intention of ever racing again," what am I supposed to do with my new M-T 9" X 28" slicks, the new B & M Roll Control, my new Turbo Action floor shifter, my new Autometer shift light tach, and my newly-rebuilt 4.10:1 Auburn limited-slip center section that I just had a crush sleeve eliminator kit put in??? I don't talk about my car on this board because it's not a Class Legal car, and it wouldn't be appropriate, nor of interest to anyone. That doesn't mean I don't have one...

I can't afford to run the kind of Class car I'd like to race, but I still have fun in the Brackets with this bucket of bolts, and you know what?
If I should lose to a faster car because I red lighted FIRST, even though he red-lighted WORSE, I'd feel cheated.

Just because I don't have a mega-buck NHRA Stocker, I am not immune to the lunacy that is this FIRST RED LIGHT system. The strip I run my car at uses handicaps... and a "first red light loses" rule.

Ed went on...."You're persistence might be what influences the racing organizations to make changes that will not change your life one iota,but may make changes in the rules which present racers may have to deal with,maybe not for the good either."

Oh yeah; I forgot; "fair" is not necessarily "good."

You give me FAR too much credit. NHRA has NO IDEA who I am, and cares not one whit what I say.... you know that as well as I do. "Bill WHO????" LOL!!! I can hear 'em now....

But, what may influence the racing organizations to make THIS change, may well be the growth of the number of people who see the common-sense logic of changing to a system that favors NO ONE.
Not everybody thinks that "fairness" is a bad thing.

And yes, a worse red light rule would change my life in this way: No longer will my red light deprive the second-to-leave, faster car, of HIS chance to red light. Where is it written that he should get a free ride just because I turned on the bulb; he may turn it on WORSE. I will no longer feel cheated, because that lopsided situation won't exist any more. If I red light, shame on me. If HE red lights worse, shame on HIM!!!

And, should you become the beneficiary of this change (should it ever occur), when you win a race because, even though your faithful steed left quickly enough to turn on a red light, the quicker-dialed car in the other lane may have left even earlier (on HIS dial-in), and you WIN!!! As you're driving to the Winners' Circle, maybe you will remember how little you thought of this idea before it was implemented...

Think about it.

Last edited by bill dedman; 10-09-2009 at 02:35 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #46
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Bill,

How about a blinder on the finish line sensor lights, that's low enough that only the tires can determine the race winner..with a possible height of 2-4" above the ground---low enough that no matter how hard someone noses down their front end at the stripe, the lights won't recognize anything but the tire...as it was with the older cars, and should be still now...what do you think???
I think that sounds reasonable and workable, but I don't feel like I know enough about the whole deal to make a valid recommendation. Somebody with experience with this technology needs to decide what would work.

What you suggest sounds perfect to me, but, I'm just not qualified to even render an opinion on this.

Sure needs to be looked at, though... methinks....
Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #47
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel our sportsman committee members would be the ones to advance this idea if they felt it was in the best interest of the sport. How do they feel about it?
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #48
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Harry,

This a change that will cost a little money to implement (software change, and somebody to install, troubleshoot, and print up an "explanation sheet" for it, so the drivers will understand the change.)

This change will benefit NHRA (the corporation) minimally, if at all, and won't make them a plugged nickel in additional revenue.

For those reasons, I don't think it will ever happen, especially, as long as the current "powers that be" are running the show. I'd imagine the IHRA might experiment with it before NHRA does, IF anyone ever does.

Last edited by bill dedman; 10-10-2009 at 01:09 AM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote