HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #41
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,638 Times in 385 Posts
Default Re: Pontiac 455 hp reduction

The whole problem with this combo is as Glenn stated it doesn’t exist.
So now Glen has a license to go out the number one qualifier anywhere
And when class happens go as fast he wants with no penalty.
Also now his car is legal FG H stock auto car moves into an 11 1/2 pound break.

The aluminum head is only on the Corvette.
When NHRA allowed aftermarket aluminum heads there was a 10 hp penalty
But he gets to run for one year with this combo.

NHRA is allowing a superstock GT combo to run stock eliminator for one year WTF

Frank let’s be real Glen didn’t do the aluminum head because it was worse. He just took 40 pounds off the nose of of his car and another 40 pounds of ballast so how is that fair. It’s a superstock GT combo running stock eliminator
This needs to be fixed.
10 HP. For aftermarket heads. And it still isn’t Fair.
Glen started a thread where are all the class races …..I wonder why lol

Tell me I’m wrong
Old 01-15-2022, 02:38 PM   #42
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 827 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor3410 View Post
I don't disagree with anything you mentioned and certainly don't have a problem with what Glenn is doing, that is part of class racing finding combos with potential and working hard to go fast. My question is based on the rules of the AHFS, how did this combo qualify for a HP reduction. The rule says In addition, the engine family must NOT make two runs of 0.650 or quicker or any run 0.850 or quicker during the review period, for the review to continue. Car #2237made at least 5 runs of more than .8 under at Gainesville in March of 2021.
Mineshaft race at Gainesville. Also mineshaft race at New England dragway for nationals June 2021.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #43
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

[QUOTE=James Perrone;655662.

The aluminum head is only on the Corvette.
When NHRA allowed aftermarket aluminum heads there was a 10 hp penalty
But he gets to run for one year with this combo.

Frank let’s be real Glen didn’t do the aluminum head because it was worse. He just took 40 pounds off the nose of of his car and another 40 pounds of ballast so how is that fair. It’s a superstock GT combo running stock eliminator
This needs to be fixed.
10 HP. For aftermarket heads. And it still isn’t Fair.
Glen started a thread where are all the class races …..I wonder why lol

Tell me I’m wrong[/QUOTE]

Jim
This combo has been legal for for over 20 years. Glenn had it reviewed now it's gone next season. You think he's not taking it in the tookis?

What I stated about my research and advice from very good people is truth, he decided to spend the time & money.
You got a problem protest him and meet in the barn take your stuff apart too.
This head is no where near as good as the 113, it and the 128 are factory heads not aftermarket don't know where bringing up aftermarket heads comes into this. The iron 083 head originated as a corvette head got a problem with it too? Is the 1LE option package no good? Come on man!

Let's talk reality the car was probably the fastest in the country before he bought it. It had the same combination I run and had very good hands in it. When I was the fasted flat top in the country on paper it was probably faster just didn't show it.
The truth of the matter is if a couple of guys understood the AHFS and bothered to pay attention the flat top would still be very good the iron dish motor would be better than the aluminum head.

If the car was built right the weight off the front due to the aluminum heads is really not that big a deal. This talk of weight off the front is really not an issue if you know how to build a car.

Stand by by statement about second under and ladder choices. I was there when you were track champion several years the best I ever did was top 10.

Just beat the guy in the final like you know how to do. This stuff is just BS when winning is the goal.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:42 PM   #44
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,638 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Jim
This combo has been legal for for over 20 years. Glenn had it reviewed now it's gone next season. You think he's not taking it in the tookis?

What I stated about my research and advice from very good people is truth, he decided to spend the time & money.
You got a problem protest him and meet in the barn take your stuff apart too.
This head is no where near as good as the 113, it and the 128 are factory heads not aftermarket don't know where bringing up aftermarket heads comes into this. The iron 083 head originated as a corvette head got a problem with it too? Is the 1LE option package no good? Come on man!

Let's talk reality the car was probably the fastest in the country before he bought it. It had the same combination I run and had very good hands in it. When I was the fasted flat top in the country on paper it was probably faster just didn't show it.
The truth of the matter is if a couple of guys understood the AHFS and bothered to pay attention the flat top would still be very good the iron dish motor would be better than the aluminum head.

If the car was built right the weight off the front due to the aluminum heads is really not that big a deal. This talk of weight off the front is really not an issue if you know how to build a car.

Stand by by statement about second under and ladder choices. I was there when you were track champion several years the best I ever did was top 10.

Just beat the guy in the final like you know how to do. This stuff is just BS when winning is the goal.
Frank the combo doesn’t exist from the factory
It’s a corvette motor it the only way to get that motor in 1989
So it’s not legal.. if you couldn’t buy it from the dealer it’s truly BOGUS
By the way it’s SOFT as F.
Where did Nhra get aHP rating from. ?
So Nhra is gonna have to explain why it’s ok for this year.
It shouldn’t be a secret...
Let’s see him win class at Indy
By the way I Always carry Plenty of $$$ money.

It’s a super stock combo if it’s in a camaro. FACTS
Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 AM   #45
Dave Reuland

Liked 35 Times in 7 Posts

More info on the 73 GTO raced by Mick Leiferman. His brother Dennis, who was a tech at the Pontiac dealership in Madision SD, along with his cousin, Tom Geppert, bought a new 73 455SD Formula Firebird 4 speed and raced it in D/S for several years at Thunder Valley Dragways in SD. They pulled the engine and bought a 73 GTO, installed the engine and an automatic trans and continued to race it in the midwest. Dennis told me that Pontiac never built a SD GTO but NHRA had it in the book so they were going to do it. After two or three years, they sent the car to Mick who raced it for several years before pulling the engine, changing the cam and installing the engine into a light weight Firebird and running S/G. Dennis sold the original Firebird Formula SD in1978 and found it again around 2005 and proceded to restore it. Dennis passed away a few years back but his wife has kept the car at the family farm in Kimball SD.
Dave Reuland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #46
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,978 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
So it’s not legal.. if you couldn’t buy it from the dealer it’s truly BOGUS FACTS
Hey Ponko, Why don't you start a thread outing all of the combos that don't exist and we'll start getting rid of them all! At least NHRA admitted that this one is "bogus" and it's gone at the end of this season.
Maybe a side bet? We'll see who starts getting death threats first!

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #47
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
So it’s not legal.. if you couldn’t buy it from the dealer it’s truly BOGUS
By the way it’s SOFT as F.
Where did Nhra get aHP rating from. ?
So Nhra is gonna have to explain why it’s ok for this year.
It shouldn’t be a secret...
Let’s see him win class at Indy
By the way I Always carry Plenty of $$$ money.

It’s a super stock combo if it’s in a camaro. FACTS

Jim way back when I met Jerry Stein we became friends after a couple years Jim Morgan was buying the Husky Car so he offered me the ride in the Tomata Can. One of the first things he told me "STOCK IS NOT STOCK" and this is gentleman's racing.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:07 PM   #48
gumple

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Hey Ponko, Why don't you start a thread outing all of the combos that don't exist and we'll start getting rid of them all! At least NHRA admitted that this one is "bogus" and it's gone at the end of this season.
Maybe a side bet? We'll see who starts getting death threats first!
Mr. Nees,
Many of us remember the successful blitz that you leveled against Jeff Lee's bogus combination. I applaud your efforts in that situation but there is another more egregious combination right in your neighborhood. That being the Carp/Hoven Hemi. This car is also worthy of your corrective attention.
gumple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #49
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reuland View Post
More info on the 73 GTO raced by Mick Leiferman. His brother Dennis, who was a tech at the Pontiac dealership in Madision SD, along with his cousin, Tom Geppert, bought a new 73 455SD Formula Firebird 4 speed and raced it in D/S for several years at Thunder Valley Dragways in SD. They pulled the engine and bought a 73 GTO, installed the engine and an automatic trans and continued to race it in the midwest. Dennis told me that Pontiac never built a SD GTO but NHRA had it in the book so they were going to do it. After two or three years, they sent the car to Mick who raced it for several years
before pulling the engine, changing the cam and installing the engine into a light weight Firebird and running S/G. Dennis sold the original Firebird Formula SD in1978 and found it again around 2005 and proceded to restore it. Dennis passed away a few years back but his wife has kept the car at the family farm in Kimball SD.
Many thanks for this info !

I had no way of knowing that. Love to be able to present facts, rather than wondering or assuming.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #50
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,465 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumple View Post
Mr. Nees,
Many of us remember the successful blitz that you leveled against Jeff Lee's bogus combination. I applaud your efforts in that situation but there is another more egregious combination right in your neighborhood. That being the Carp/Hoven Hemi. This car is also worthy of your corrective attention.
Correction: Not a bogus combination and educate yourself before making statements without any research.

The AMC's were allowed to run a replacement, over the counter, intake and carburetor and had been approved by IHRA and later NHRA. The AMC intake and Holley carburetor were part of the AMC factory parts catalog with its own section. At the time, the basis for the allowance was the same premise as the 1971 Boss 351 using a Holley carburetor in lieu of the Motorcraft carburetor. With the Boss 351, due to the overlap of the solid lifter camshaft, the dealer's service departments were having issues addressing driveability and idle issues with the Motorcraft carburetor. Therefore, the factory released a service bulletin with instructions to replace them with a new Holley carburetor that Ford released to address the issue.

The AMC deal is similar to what took place as to the use of the Mopar Edelbrock LD intake manifold on SBM's that also had a factory part number that was also rescinded.

Instead of being a keyboard warrior and throwing Billy into the fray, since you appear to have a lot of knowledge, why don't you take the initiative yourself and address the Carp/Hoven Hemi with NHRA? By the way, Todd Hoven is one of the many, hard working racers out there, easy to talk too, and you may even be interested in addressing the issue directly with him face to face.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote