HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need a-arm front suspension help/suggestions after near miss

I have to redo the front suspension on my 67 Firebird stocker.

Had a really close call Sunday. Broke the top a arm on drivers side at finish line at 95 mph (1/8 mile). Folded wheel and was really wild ride getting stopped. Luckily I was in the right lane, and other car was faster. I ended up about a foot off the left wall.
Not sure what caused what yet. I have been gone with work all week, and have not gotten it apart. Guessing that it stripped or broke a bolt on starting line (pulls wheels about a foot in air), then upset it and twisted when I hit brakes at finish line. Top front was off, and bolt gone. Not sure if stripped, broke, or what. I did hit the brakes in lights, but only killed 1 mph, did NOT bomb the brakes.
I had made 11 passes on Saturday, and this was 3rd pass Sunday. I had looked over everything that morning, normal check engine bay, bounce front end, etc. Did not see anything loose or feel anything wrong. Car 60' was within thousandths all weekend, including that pass... I had original a arms with urethane bushings and Moroso springs.

So, after all that, I need to fix my car. Know the top a arm is bent, brake line is cut, and front tire is trash. Not sure about lower arm, spindle, brakes, wheel, etc.
I have searched the archived files and found some stuff. Just want to hear more.

I know everyone says they dont want your speed secrets, etc. I DO! I want to fix this right, and with all the work to go all the way down to bare and fix everything, I want options on how "right" I make it. Car worked good, but could have been better. Are aftermarket original style a-arms any good, or do I want to find some used originals? What shafts - adjustable top shafts? What bushings? What ball joints - 1/2" longer? What does the extra 1/2" do for us? What spring? Had small block Moroso's with 3/4 coil cut. Car pretty much set down on arms, or could be pushed down by hand. Could lift front end 8-10 inches by hand before. Has Calvert front shocks on it. Will keep my crate motor in it for now, but still want to put my Pontiac 400 in it one of these days... maybe with a 4 speed.

Give me some options please. PM me or email if you prefer. Kegracing@yahoo.com

thanks in advance
Ken Graham
Stock 412.
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Need a-arm front suspension help/suggestions after near

Did you have a stack of shims under the bolt that fell out ? Did you use a locknut ? ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those bolts are ok. The front end of top a arm bushing bolt either broke, stripped or backed out, and bushing was gone. Allowed the a arm to rotate off shaft. Did not find the bolt, and have not taken everything apart yet to be sure.
I had factory end bolt type setup. Had bolts match marked for easy visual check. Did not notice them lose or moved, but can not be sure.
Here is a picture of the a arm, after I got car back in the trailer... Up on a jack now, but was pulled out when car got stopped. Back of arm is bent around, could not slide the arm back on end of the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1855 (482x640).jpg
Views:	412
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	25730  
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Glad you're not hurt and the damage isn't too severe.

The factory bolts are known for working themselves loose. When redoing the front end on my Nova stocker last Winter, I used these Moog offset control arm shafts and Energy Suspension urethane bushings. They have a large diameter stud and lock nut in place of the small factory bolt.

Global West makes a great setup and Afco has greaseable steel control arm bushings.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Alan.
Great picture and exactly the type of info I am looking for. What/how much did you gain from the offset shafts? I am thinking about the offset shafts and longer ball joints. Just not sure if I really need them or not. Not sure what gains they will give me.
thanks again,

Ken
Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Ken, not sure what I gained. I'd just got the car and redid the entire front suspension. The offset shafts help, as front subframes sag over time. They will also allow your alignment guy to give you more caster, which makes the car want to go straighter. There's all types of ball joints out there. I used standard length units and mounted them on the bottom of the contol arm rather than through the top to effectively pick up some length.

If you search under the 'Tech' section, there's been some good threads there, also.

Hope this helps...... -Al
Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegracing View Post
Thanks Alan.
Great picture and exactly the type of info I am looking for. What/how much did you gain from the offset shafts? I am thinking about the offset shafts and longer ball joints. Just not sure if I really need them or not. Not sure what gains they will give me.
thanks again,

Ken
I would strongly suggest the offset upper shafts and at least +0.500" upper ball joints for a stock front suspension 1st or 2nd generation F or X body. It will allow you to get enough caster to make the car go straight, and it will allow you to reduce camber change which helps with several other problems. The delrin/aluminum bushings that have grease fittings are the way to go. The bump steer kits are also legal now.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I recently re-did the front end on my 70 Nova, which is the same as your Firebird. I got the Howe .5 long ball joints which were supposed to be a direct fit, but they aren't. So be advised that you'll have to open the holes in your control arm to make them work. They are a great looking piece and rebuildable, but I sent them back.

I also bought a Spohn bump steer kit, which is also a great looking piece. When installed, my toe in went from 1/16 in at static height, to an 1/8 out with the wheels off the ground. I called Spohn and they told me it only works with lowered front end cars. It spaces the heim joint to far away from the knuckle. I went back to the stock tie rod end and now I go from 1/16 to about 3/8's but all in. Not good, but much easier to get down the track. I'm a bracket/index racer and max ET isn't a big concern for me. BTW, I can make you a great deal on this bump steer kit.

I bought the Global West offset shafts and Del a lum bushings.
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info everyone. Dont think I will use the bump steer kit, but planning on offset shafts and longer ball joints.
Saw in Jegs that QA1 offers longer ball joints also. Didnt show prices. Anyone ever use them?

Does anyone make the greasable aluminum/derlin bushings other than Global West?

thanks again,
Ken
Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
J&S Racing

Liked 287 Times in 77 Posts

I went with Afco ball joints and bushings. The ball joints come in longer tops and they are super low friction. The bushings are solid steel with a grease fitting. They were a little cheaper than the global west ones plus I've had issues with derlin in another application. It's amazing how free the shafts are in the upper control arms!!!
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote