HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Question Super Stock GT Truck

After reading the thread on the SS/GT Truck build on Class Racer it got my interest up and I started reading in the rule book. I was still confused after reading the rules on the class. Is the minimum weight 2670 for the trucks? I was comparing the weight breaks for the GT trucks and GT cars against the index's and in truck B,C,and D they got a .25 off their index as compared to a GT car. and a little for running an automatic. If I was building a new Super Stocker it would have a bed on it lol. I gotta wonder why do you not see more trucks? Are they hard to hook up? It don't appear that there are many years in the class guide either. Just wondering. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Super Stock GT Truck

Don,

The GT Super 10 build is mine. Using it as an example, I will run a 1966, 327, 300 horse that is factored at 293 horse. To double check I contacted the Division four tech person about the weight and class math.

I will race in SS GT/TB - [truck B]

"B" is 10.5 pounds per factored horsepower

So, 10.5 x 293 = 3077 pounds. [rounded] next, deduct 5% for automatic trans. [3076.5 x 5% = 154, rounded] Then add 170 pounds driver weight allowance.

The race ready weight with driver is;
-154 for automatic
+170 for driver
3093 pounds on scales with driver

My reasons for selection the S-10 platform;

*I have FOS [fat, old, stiff] Enter/exit the S-10 is easy. Good seating position, slightly higher than a car, comfortable seating height. Comfort in a racer is very important.

*Truck has a beefy full frame.

*Removing the bed to build new rear frame section allows much easier construction.

*I like the look and it is a newer, more modern design, body parts are plentiful and inexpensive.

*Also, I like different, I chose a step bed for that reason

Overall, I think it is a good race platform. I look forward to finishing and racing the combination. I expect to have it ready for the 2016 Division four season.

Keep an eye on the build up post as we learn more about the Super 10

PS, I think the chassis balance and "hook" will be fine. It is no more front heavy than some other combinations.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Super Stock GT Truck

Thanks for the info Larry. My brother has ran SS/GT cars for a decade or two so I am familiar with GT. After comparing SS/GT to the truck weight breaks and the bonus for running an automatic I know I'd be doing a truck if I was building a Super Stocker. I'm still not sure of the minimum weight. Is it 2670? I can think of a couple of bogus low horse power combinations being a demon in the truck class. Is there any issue with hooking the trucks up? I wouldn't think it would be any worse than some of the FWD conversions. Can't wait till you get yours on the track.Hope it is a rocket ship. Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Super Stock GT Truck

Don, I do not expect a rocket, just a winner

The "B" index is 10.85, I expect 10.0's at best. My plan is to not run faster than 10.0. Staying in the 10's simplifies several things that are advantages to old fat men. No window net, no SFI full suite, no gloves, no NHRA competition license, etc. I am talking fun and winning all in one package.