HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 12-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
Bill Bogues

Liked 168 Times in 51 Posts
Smile Dually tire pressure

I just replaced the rear tires on my dodge dually. The tires were worn in the middle from too much pressure (80 lbs) in them. When I let them down to 60 lbs it did fine as long as I didn't have the race car trailer hooked up, but it swayed on me a bit with it hooked up.Does this mean that i'm doomed to swap pressure back and forth depending on whether i have trailer on or not. I'd like to not wear the centers out of new tires if I can help it. Anyone have any ideas on what i need to do?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts
Default Re: Dually tire pressure

I’d be curious if the rims are the correct width? I pulled 15K with my dually and it seemed oblivious to what pressures I was running as far as swaying. If you’re pulling a tag I always ran weight distribution hitch just to keep tonque weight in check. On a SRW truck pulling a heavy trailer I used the local Truck scales to adjust how it drove. First weigh usually ~$10 with subsequent weighs only $2 if within 24 hours. Would move the car in the trailer, see how it drove and repeat. Sometimes adjusting the hitch bars as well. Amazing how much axle weights can change with those refinements.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Kevin Love

Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

On my 2018 F350 DRW I use the factory ratings of 75 front / 65 rear cold and it tows fine
and tire wear is even. In the summer pressure rises by 5-6 psi going down the highway .
Old 12-15-2019, 02:03 AM   #4
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Bill, what size tires are you running? My F350 Dually is rarely driven without the trailer attached, I have 235/85R16 load range E 10 ply BFG Commercial T/A tires, and normally run them 75 to 80 psi. I only have about 5000 miles since I put these tires on, but tows great, and no uneven wear.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
Bill Bogues

Liked 168 Times in 51 Posts
Smile Re: Dually tire pressure

Rory; I'm running 235/85/r17 tires on my truck.Iwas running firestone transformer tires on it that were on the truck when I bought it. They only lasted about 35,000 mi. before the center tread was almost gone. In defense of these tires though I was pulling a 16000 lb stacker that had about 2000 lbs of tongue weight on it.It pulled the trailer well except when I let the air pressure down to 60 to try and make the center of tires to last longer. I've since sold the stacker and now have a single car trailer that will weight 10,000 lbs fully loaded. I.m going to move car around to get about 1200lbs of tongue weight on it.I just bought some new Michlein tires for the truck and I probably will run 70 to 75 lbs in them . I just hope the new tires don't wear as fast as the old ones. Thanks for replies Bill.