HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts
Default injector size

Stocker, 350 tpi motor, Fast efi. What would be a recommended injector size? Am I being crazy by installing 60lb injectors?
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:25 PM   #2
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: injector size

Nope, depends on the EFI system you are using. A newer system, like Holley, and there are others, will let you time when the injectors open, but to do so they need to be much larger than "typical". If you were to use a 30 pounder or so, you wouldn't be able to change when the injector opens in relationship to the intake valve, you wouldn't be able to get enough fuel in the chamber at higher rpms. By over-sizing it, you have the flexibility to try different things. Again, only if your particular EFI system will let you adjust the actual "timing" of the injection events.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
jamie2370

Liked 236 Times in 89 Posts

Thanks for the PM's guys. You know who you are. I appreciate the advise.
jamie2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 621 Times in 108 Posts

Boy this question can have a ton of correct answers. Minimum would calculate to about 40 PPH.
Based on an estimated 600 HP and a rough .45 BSFC that is around 33 PPH.
Add another 20% margin since we don't like to run injectors above 80% duty cycle and you get near 40PPH.

As said above you can run a larger set that can be timed to cam intake valve events giving some advantages depending on camshaft/intake design. I have seen some where it was not worth any gains. The feature can really help the Idle in come cases.

If you want to run sequential injector strategy you will need a cam sensor. It will allow the engine to run bit cleaner at low RPM and when you go up on the converter. It's usually not an issue with the smaller injectors to run batch or bank to bank strategy. Many older combinations run batch fire at close to 100% duty cycle. Some of those guys still use fuel pressure adjustments to fine tune their EFI rather than adjusting the base fuel map.

Hope this helps

Robin
Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Robin , Do you see a gain by running the injectors at 50 or 55 psi instead of oem 42 psi ?
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

When the injectors are timed to valve events does that lesson the energy in the reversion wave. Will it generate a "sweet spot" with the reversion wave to pack the cylinder with A/F mixture? With the larger injectors, will droplet size suffer by being larger or will the droplets be close to the same size.

Trying to learn!

Thanks
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 621 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Robin , Do you see a gain by running the injectors at 50 or 55 psi instead of oem 42 psi ?
As in may scenarios my answer is "It Depends". Only testing at the different pressures will tell you if there is any value.
Typically I try to run injectors at their design fuel pressure. As you get away from the design pressure some injectors characteristics can change. An injectors opening and closing can be effected by a couple of things, fuel pressure and voltage. changes in these areas effect the way the injector reacts and can alter flow.
Most modern ECU have voltage compensations tables. Getting the correct "dead times" for a specific injector offset any voltage fluctuations and deliver what you have programmed in your base table.
As for pressure changes only flow testing at the various pressures can tell you what that injector will to a setting different than what it was designed for.
And only track testing can tell you if there is a benefit. (notice I didn't say dyno)

As drag racers we affected less by these variables. A race car that is driven at part throttle or through a wide rpm range will see a benefit. A street car will have better drivability with good injector setup data.

In my opinion you will see the most benefit in a drag race scenario by tuning the individual cylinders at wide open throttle through the RPM band of your combination.

I would used the injector timing tables to help mitigate the effects of a huge cam at idle. If an auto car this can also help when loading the converter.

Sorry if I got long winded

Robin
Old 03-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
Todd Gross

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

Sorry if I got long winded

Robin[/QUOTE]

No....keep talking. What you have to say is always interesting and helpful.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie2370 View Post
Stocker, 350 tpi motor, Fast efi. What would be a recommended injector size? Am I being crazy by installing 60lb injectors?
30lb would be plenty. I have made more power with my LT1 SS engine using 36lb injectors, at 60 psi. At your power level, I would use no more than 30lb. Myself, I would try 24lbs at a higher pressure. I have had best luck with Lucus injectors in my cars.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 03-24-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

I have been running 30 lb Ford Racing injectors in my LT1 for a while. I have an injector flow bench that I will test a few boxes to try to set match them. They seem to work pretty well for me. Generally have my fuel pressure between 52 lbs and 58 lbs depending on the air.

Also have some 60 lb injectors that I want to experiment with, but I have my hands full at the moment with other stuff.
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote