HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #721
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: worst red light debate, again!

Bobby, how about it ain't gonna happen? I most always leave first, and don't see a problem like it is. Why would anybody think they are going to change it?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #722
DrJRacing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I raced my 55 Chev SS/PA for 20 years leaving and red lighting first on a clean tree. Learned to usually cut a decent light...usually green.
The "First" rule seemed unfair. "Worst" made sense. Last couple of years
I have been fortunate enough to race my 2012 SS/AAA Super Cobra Jet usually leaving last. The first red light rule benefit has been completely balanced by the learning curve of leaving last on an unclean tree. Timing/delay of tree/ visual distractions are new challenges I am learning to overcome. The rules as they currently stand seem to be reasonably fair from my new perspective.This will not change when I race the 55 Chev.
Other differences between the two cars are for a different topic...both are totally fun!
DrJRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #723
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Bobby, how about it ain't gonna happen? I most always leave first, and don't see a problem like it is. Why would anybody think they are going to change it?
This is just a hypothetical so no one said it is getting changed but in the interest of fairness it should technically be changed because from what I read, they originally wanted it to be worse red light loses and the only reason it is the way it is now is apparently because they did not know how to write a program for it back then. I promise I will stop when a valid reason pops up!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #724
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Dial heads up, that way the worst red light looses, Problem solved.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #725
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

If we are going to change long standing rules accepted by the vast majority, how about this one? Allow drivers on Social Security and Medicare to run a tenth under their dials? Only fair. At this age it's harder to turn your neck around at the stripe to find the other car. At least as many would go for this as the red light rule change. :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 AM   #726
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I know I'm nuts and adding fuel to this ever burning fire but if someone can state one valid reason for not changing the first red-light loses to the worst red-light loses other than "That's the way it's always been so leave it alone" then I promise you will not hear anything more from me on this topic!
I'm on the same thinking as you are, the rule was set that way back in the day when they could have only one lane spot the other, it was one lane was the spotter lane (which was the faster car) and the other was the spotted lane.(slower car) Now that there are computers that can do almost any programming you want, there is no excuse not to have worse red light rule changed. Not everyone can afford a $100K vehicle so that they don't have to get a spot. Here's another reason for the rule change, why is the tree blocked from the other driver? Unblock the tree so that there is a distraction for the faster driver, there were no blocked tree's when there was a 5 bulb tree. There was all sort of distractions for the faster car back then. They faster cars shouldn't have both ways.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #727
C and W Racing

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Do you guys not think the slower car leaving first is a distraction in itself? Do you guys not think that in the case of a large handicap, seeing the other car leave and your side hasnt even started yet not make a driver anxious and cause red lights? Do you not think, like someone else pointed out, that if the slower car red lights the faster car may go ahead and leave as well since the race is won and he or she has no reason to sit there on the two step? Everyone knows the rules when they decide what class or car they decide to build, its not like you built a car and then found out the rule after the fact.
Chuck
C and W Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #728
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and W Racing View Post
Do you guys not think the slower car leaving first is a distraction in itself? Do you guys not think that in the case of a large handicap, seeing the other car leave and your side hasnt even started yet not make a driver anxious and cause red lights? Do you not think, like someone else pointed out, that if the slower car red lights the faster car may go ahead and leave as well since the race is won and he or she has no reason to sit there on the two step? Everyone knows the rules when they decide what class or car they decide to build, its not like you built a car and then found out the rule after the fact.
Chuck
Well said!
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #729
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Chuck, You are right. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #730
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Here's a crazy idea.

Everybody leaves heads up. Let the timing computer figure out who wins.

First/worst red light issue goes away.

Sure, finish will be staggered. No fans watch at the finish anyway.

The finish line "game" goes away since you can't tell who's taking the stripe early.

This means, no reason to be sideways on the brakes going through the lights. Dial tight and run it out. It's racing again, not a game.

Who would like this?

-Insurance companies. Less risk of a fast car breaking and hitting the slow car ahead. Maybe we could cut some cost for the tracks. Maybe they could pass that on to the racers.
-Slow cars. Red light debate goes away.
-Some fast cars because they don't have to worry about 80 mph of closure going through the lights. The slow car is way behind.

Who would not like this?
-People that can't dial their car or the car is inconsistent.
-Fast cars that like the first red light advantage.
-People that are skilled at driving the stripe, "holding 2" or whatever.
-People that like the "financial commitment" (read keep it expensive so I can buy my win) will not like it because there will be more slower cars starting class racing.
-People that just can't handle change. That isn't something to just dismiss, we are all against change to some extent.
-People that are really successful with the current system. (hmm. 1 winner, 59 losers.....)

I'm not talking a rule change here. I'm talking run this around, get some input, maybe try it at some local brackets for Top/Mod/Street eliminations for a night winner.

Maybe Mike Beard could put it in one of his big bracket races on a Thursday before the big event or whatever. Maybe make it a side event as part of next year's NCN. Could be a good promoting gimmick. Of course, Mike is good at driving the stripe so he probably won't like it...

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Winston Churchill

Let the flames begin....yeah, I know it's crazy...