HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #731
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Re: worst red light debate, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Claude,please put a fork in it before Dedman wakes up again, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:-)........he must be sound asleep !!!
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #732
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: worst red light debate, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTNDN View Post
Here's a crazy idea.

Everybody leaves heads up. Let the timing computer figure out who wins.

First/worst red light issue goes away.

Sure, finish will be staggered. No fans watch at the finish anyway.

The finish line "game" goes away since you can't tell who's taking the stripe early.

This means, no reason to be sideways on the brakes going through the lights. Dial tight and run it out. It's racing again, not a game.

Who would like this?

-Insurance companies. Less risk of a fast car breaking and hitting the slow car ahead. Maybe we could cut some cost for the tracks. Maybe they could pass that on to the racers.
-Slow cars. Red light debate goes away.
-Some fast cars because they don't have to worry about 80 mph of closure going through the lights. The slow car is way behind.

Who would not like this?
-People that can't dial their car or the car is inconsistent.
-Fast cars that like the first red light advantage.
-People that are skilled at driving the stripe, "holding 2" or whatever.
-People that like the "financial commitment" (read keep it expensive so I can buy my win) will not like it because there will be more slower cars starting class racing.
-People that just can't handle change. That isn't something to just dismiss, we are all against change to some extent.
-People that are really successful with the current system. (hmm. 1 winner, 59 losers.....)

I'm not talking a rule change here. I'm talking run this around, get some input, maybe try it at some local brackets for Top/Mod/Street eliminations for a night winner.

Maybe Mike Beard could put it in one of his big bracket races on a Thursday before the big event or whatever. Maybe make it a side event as part of next year's NCN. Could be a good promoting gimmick. Of course, Mike is good at driving the stripe so he probably won't like it...

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Winston Churchill

Let the flames begin....yeah, I know it's crazy...
It would look like time trials over and over....and some think explaining bracket racing to fans is hard, imagine trying to explain two random cars going down the track and the one arriving 4 seconds later being deemed the winner. "he was closer to his dial in"....ummm, yeah that would pretty much kill dragracing as we know it.

Just for the record, I too think it should be worst break out, worst red light. How about worst across the line? LOL! I barely touched the centre line but you came into my lane so you lose?
I'm not gonna lose sleep over the way it is, but technically, yeah it should be worst light too.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #733
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

You make good points. I thought about the time trial aspect as I was writing it, but thought, well, maybe somebody else will come up with an idea.

I figure the spectator part of drag racing is dead anyway. I know, we all want people to fill the stands so we can win money to pay for our hobby, but I think that is just wishful thinking. Maybe I'm wrong, I would really like to think so.

Racing just isn't a business. If you have sponsors, that is an advertising/marketing business that uses racing as a venue/medium, no different than marketing companies that put their message into papers, magazines, TV, radio or whatever.

I was not trying to get people all worked up, but maybe just stir some thinking. Racers are the cheatingest, conivingest, clever take-advantage-of-the-rules, people on earth. They are the most innovative and creative.

That is one of the things that makes America great.

Consider this. IF we spent as much time trying to figure out a way to improve the sport as we do trying to get an advantage with our race cars, there is no limit.

Have some fun with it. Craziest idea wins!
Old 08-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #734
Karl Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My opinion: both drivers should get an equal shot at the tree, the win light should not go on until both cars have left the starting line and would basically simulate a heads up start with no handicap.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #735
AJ Laferty

Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts

Great idea!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #736
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Sorry Jeff but the top end Is the most fun part of racing, most class racer already hate Nintendo racing, this will open it up for some boring racing. since I started this crazy post, I've come to realize that all being equal the system works. The guy who leaves first gets a clean tree, the second racer has to wait with the anxiety of a squirrel crossing the street in rush hour traffic. I like leaving first. my opinion after a long soul searching,leave it alone. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #737
goinbroke2

Liked 174 Times in 60 Posts

Claude...your giving up after only 74 pages???

Quiter!..... LOL!
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #738
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,494 Times in 426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C and W Racing View Post
Do you guys not think the slower car leaving first is a distraction in itself? Do you guys not think that in the case of a large handicap, seeing the other car leave and your side hasnt even started yet not make a driver anxious and cause red lights?
Not really, given the fact that most everyone is using blockers nowadays on their helmets and/or sun visors. That distraction is easily eliminated. But that's subjective so worst case scenario, the fast car finally has one "con" to deal with, big deal.

Quote:
Do you not think, like someone else pointed out, that if the slower car red lights the faster car may go ahead and leave as well since the race is won and he or she has no reason to sit there on the two step?
I don't go on my two step until my top yellow comes on and I suggest you and every other racer do the same. However, I can't tell people how to drive.

Quote:
Everyone knows the rules when they decide what class or car they decide to build, its not like you built a car and then found out the rule after the fact.
What's the point of this sentence? Everyone builds a fast car to take advantage of a lopsided starting line rule? Or you built a slow car knowing you were being shafted by a lopsided starting line rule? Please specify.

Regardless, if the rule changes how many people are going to trade in their fast car for a slow car to take advantage of this new rule that makes a drag race a tad more fair for both competitors? None. Everyone loves to chase and anyone who says otherwise is yanking your crankshaft.

Starting line rules that benefit faster cars: No deep staging, first red light loses, and crosstalk in the bracket super classes (what a joke).

Starting line rules that benefit slower cars:

Last edited by Bobby Fazio; 08-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Bobby Fazio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #739
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
Not really, given the fact that most everyone is using blockers nowadays on their helmets and/or sun visors. That distraction is easily eliminated. But that's subjective so worst case scenario, the fast car finally has one "con" to deal with, big deal.

I don't go on my two step until my top yellow comes on and I suggest you and every other racer do the same. However, I can't tell people how to drive.

What's the point of this sentence? Everyone builds a fast car to take advantage of a lopsided starting line rule? Or you built a slow car knowing you were being shafted by a lopsided starting line rule? Please specify.

Regardless, if the rule changes how many people are going to trade in their fast car for a slow car to take advantage of this new rule that makes a drag race a tad more fair for both competitors? None. Everyone loves to chase and anyone who says otherwise is yanking your crankshaft.

Starting line rules that benefit faster cars: No deep staging, first red light loses, and crosstalk in the bracket super classes (what a joke).

Starting line rules that benefit slower cars:
Bobby, That's all because the fast cars have the numbers now...even before all the A/FX cars came in.
Every poll (whether formal or informal) always comes up in their favor, as one would expect.
I'm still waiting to hear why a slower moving cars shouldn't be allowed to deep stage,..working inside the narrow parameters of the current setup.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #740
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I don't understand the need for deep staging? I know the advantage regarding slower than actual et. What in the world moves too slow to cut a decent light? My 3/4 ton '99 Suburban can do that.