Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #71
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: M2000 helmets R I P

What is a traumatic brain injury?

A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is defined as a blow or jolt to the head or a penetrating head injury that disrupts the function of the brain. Not all blows or jolts to the head result in a TBI. The severity of such an injury may range from "mild," i.e., a brief change in mental status or consciousness to "severe," i.e., an extended period of unconsciousness or amnesia after the injury. A TBI can result in short or long-term problems with independent function.

Traumatic Brain Injury Facts:

How many people have TBI?

Of the 1.7 million who sustain a TBI each year in the United States:

52,000 die;
275,000 are hospitalized; and
1.365 million are treated and released from an emergency department.1

The number of people with TBI who are not seen in an emergency department or who receive no care is unknown.

(National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Traumatic brain injury: hope through research. Bethesda (MD): National Institutes of Health; 2002 Feb. NIH Publication No. 02-158. Available from: www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/detail_tbi.htm.)
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: M2000 helmets R I P

Philip, what I think you are missing is that most of us are genuinely concerned about your safety, moreso than you are.

Remember the adage "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

That $10 helmet could be used and have internal damage that you can't see.
It could be a completely unknown brand, with suspect quality
It could be a counterfeit of a known brand.
Just remember, anyone with moderate graphics and printing skills could fake a snell or sfi tag.

So just what is that bargain basement helmet, and will you post pics of it?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #73
tpoh815

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

I think the mentality is that some racers think - well, I guess the percentage of me crashing is so slim that I will take the odds and buy the minimum rated saftey equipment. Just like Home owners insurance for flooding when you live in the desert . It is what it is. Till it happens. I see both sides here. As hind site is always 20/20.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #74
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
Philip, what I think you are missing is that most of us are genuinely concerned about your safety, moreso than you are.

Remember the adage "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

That $10 helmet could be used and have internal damage that you can't see.
It could be a completely unknown brand, with suspect quality
It could be a counterfeit of a known brand.
Just remember, anyone with moderate graphics and printing skills could fake a snell or sfi tag.

So just what is that bargain basement helmet, and will you post pics of it?
unfortunately, that's allready happened on full price stuff...right?

i still want to see a link to the helmet (or for the jacket, for that matter)...
i'm curious,ok?

price has no bearing on quality...
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #75
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom keedle View Post
unfortunately, that's allready happened on full price stuff...right?

i still want to see a link to the helmet (or for the jacket, for that matter)...
i'm curious,ok?

price has no bearing on quality...
I'll probably regret this but here you go.

http://ebay.co.ua/catalog/show/280826842022/
This is the only link I could find on Google that is still active, I'm not sure why it is from UA. I cant link the jacket, It's to old now.

Before the flaming starts about this brand being made in China you should research where helmets are made. Almost all the brand name helmets are made there now, Even Bell. I should have asked the seller before I bought it where it was made, That would have been a determining factor in my purchase. After all the bickering here about helmets I did research them and the only ones I could find that are made in the U.S are Simpson and Impact. Pull the liner back on your helmet and tell me what you see, Styrofoam right? Can you honestly tell me there is a difference between the helmets? Can you tell me that Simpson doesn't use styrofoam made in the same place as the other manufacturers. Can you tell me that a Simpson helmet will save me when the one I have wont? We all take a risk doing this hobby, I feel safe with my decision.
I'm not going to argue that the SA stuff is not safer. Can anyone tell me that a M rated one isn't safe enough? That seems to be the position here. How many thousands of racers and motorcylist are using M rated helmets? Ken lived thru his horrible crash with a M rated helmet, If he had a SA rated helmet it may have saved his jaw but there also might have been enough force from the steering column hitting his helmet to cause a spinal injury instead. Maybe he was lucky he wasn't wearing a helmet with more chin protection. It's a tough call, Every crash is different and you guy's should be more concerned with how the barriers are constructed than with what brand of helmet a person is using. Blunt force trauma is the killer here after all.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #76
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Re: M2000 helmets R I P

Holy crap!!!!! You bought it from a Communist? LOL! Russia is second only to China for fake products! Seriously Philip, we are very concerned about your safety.

If the price is your main concern I will purchase a new, good quality helmet for you. No, I'm not kidding. Send me your size and your address and I will get you a real SA grade helmet. Let me know. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 03-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #77
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Phillip, there is nothing inherently wrong with HJC, other than it being M rated. If the helmet was truly not dropped or damaged, and was in fact an HJC, then you got an excellent deal on a marginal (in my opinion) helmet. Some Simpsons are made in the US (hat sized). We get enough questionable products from China, that I would not trust a helmet from there. Another note about M vs SA ratings, some manufacturers make both M and SA versions of a particular model helmet. In that case, the fire retardant lining is often the only difference, however there is more than that to the difference between M vs SA
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #78
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Holy crap!!!!! You bought it from a Communist? LOL! Russia is second only to China for fake products! Seriously Philip, we are very concerned about your safety.

If the price is your main concern I will purchase a new, good quality helmet for you. No, I'm not kidding. Send me your size and your address and I will get you a real SA grade helmet. Let me know. Jim

Excellent post Jim, an you're right. It's likely a counterfeit.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #79
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Re: M2000 helmets R I P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rhodes View Post
Phillip, there is nothing inherently wrong with HJC, other than it being M rated. If the helmet was truly not dropped or damaged, and was in fact an HJC, then you got an excellent deal on a marginal (in my opinion) helmet. Some Simpsons are made in the US (hat sized). We get enough questionable products from China, that I would not trust a helmet from there. Another note about M vs SA ratings, some manufacturers make both M and SA versions of a particular model helmet. In that case, the fire retardant lining is often the only difference, however there is more than that to the difference between M vs SA
Actually there is a little more than just the flame retardant quality to the SA, most SA helmets are made with at least one layer of kevlar, some are more. As you all know kevlar is much stronger than just fiberglass. Jim

Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #80
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
Actually there is a little more than just the flame retardant quality to the SA, most SA helmets are made with at least one layer of kevlar, some are more. As you all know kevlar is much stronger than just fiberglass. Jim

In most cases you are correct Jim, but I was told by a Simpson rep several years ang that the difference between a M rated voyager and an SA was just the lining. So for those looking to save a dollar, it might be a question worth asking.