HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2024, 02:18 PM   #1
prostockpete1

Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Default flex plate expiry date tech inspection

After a few points meets & one national event of the new year has the nhra tech team been crawling under automatic equipped cars checking for sfi flex plate expiry dates or asking the driver on their honor is the flex plate up to date or are racers taking photo of of the sfi tag to show tech
prostockpete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:22 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: flex plate expiry date tech inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostockpete1 View Post
After a few points meets & one national event of the new year has the nhra tech team been crawling under automatic equipped cars checking for sfi flex plate expiry dates or asking the driver on their honor is the flex plate up to date or are racers taking photo of of the sfi tag to show tech
I have not heard of anyone being checked or asked. I do have pictures of all my SFI tags in my phone
Old 03-13-2024, 05:48 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

I do it like Mike and take pictures. It would be holy PITA for them to even get a clear view of the flexplate tag on mine (904 trans). I had a few choice words for their new rule when I was wrestling the trans out and back in. Someone needs to convince them a Mopar flexplate is a different animal.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

I could see them requiring manufacturers to supply racers a sheet with matching sfi stickers like they do for clutches. Then if you just show them the current sfi sticker sheet . They ask for that frequently on clutch cars. Pretty easy as long as you are current.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:23 PM   #5
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
I could see them requiring manufacturers to supply racers a sheet with matching sfi stickers like they do for clutches. Then if you just show them the current sfi sticker sheet . They ask for that frequently on clutch cars. Pretty easy as long as you are current.
I don't know about this one, Jim.
There are SFI flex plates on Ebay or Amazon for under a hundred bucks. Are they real or bogus? I don't know, but getting registration papers to go along with them , either way, might be a real trick.
On the other hand, there are what, two or three high tech drag racing clutch guys out there? Of course they are in the thousands of dollar range, and I'm sure they're worth it.
I don't see where it would be a big deal for them to provide SFI paperwork.

Back to autos... I don't think we need to give them any more ideas here ;-)
Old 03-15-2024, 09:43 AM   #6
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james schaechter View Post
Reid has stopped installing the SFI stickers on the transmission cases in for recertification. They stamp the case with the numbers for the case and flex plate shield on the side of the case flange and include the stickers matching the case for the customer to use for tech purposes.
I carry my stickers in the trailer where I hope I can find them if asked to provide them.
Just my experience.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #7
Steve Grady

Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts

When you have the case where you can photograph it and the SFI sticker card with your phone you can show tech the photos with the matching numbers. May be easier to keep track of while keeping the card with the stickers where it won't get lost.

Reid cases also have a Mfg Date and Serial number that is stamped on case and on the card the SFI stickers are on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
Reid has stopped installing the SFI stickers on the transmission cases in for recertification. They stamp the case with the numbers for the case and flex plate shield on the side of the case flange and include the stickers matching the case for the customer to use for tech purposes.
I carry my stickers in the trailer where I hope I can find them if asked to provide them.
Just my experience.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
Old 03-21-2024, 04:33 PM   #8
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Directly from an un-named NHRA employee there is no plan to do inspections for sfi tag dates at the races unless there is found to be a reason or a need to do so on the flex plates.
The racer signs the tech card certification saying it is good and unless there is some reason to question that you are good.
It all falls back on the racer.
I feel sure there will continue to be staging lane spot checks for the easy and quick things to check.
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:13 PM   #9
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

A lot easier to just check all the broken pieces laying on track after it comes a part.
Liked