HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
Redlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Q-jet experts , couple questions

tj310, faster would be nice but if can stay where I am (10 flat @131mph) I would be happy. Maybe be dreaming but unless you try.........

Greg, this manifold and carb combo has worked on a 12 second car with great results. The intake has "some work" to even out distribution so the plugs are very uniform in color after a run.

Alan, do you like the Mallory 250 vs the 140 with the system listed above or do I have 40 feet of #10 line in my future?

Last edited by Redlight; 12-02-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Q-jets are the most finicky and sensitive carbs I've ever fooled with. They can be made to run extremely fast but the can also get screwed up for no apparent reason. I would definitely go with the bigger pump. Personally I have had nothing but trouble from Mallory fuel pumps and regulators, but I do have a couple of friends who run the 250 pump and it seems to be okay.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #23
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,048 Times in 276 Posts

Like Greg, I'm not a fan of the Mallory pumps. In fact, I'm not a Mallory fan at all, fuel or ignition. I don't like Holley or Barry Grant, either. For fuel pumps, it's next to impossible to beat Magna Fuel or Aeromotive. And yes, I'd run -10 line, and I'd probably run a bypass style fuel log with a -8 return.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #24
DavidExit29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Redlight,
I have been running a Q-Jet on my bracket '57 Chevy for a few years now and I love it. It's a legal # 17056228 Chevy 400 smog carb. I ran the car for many years with a well worked 850 holley. The car also had a fiberglass hood with a snorkel scoop and an air box sealed to the hood. I put the stock hood and hinges back on the car because I like the super stock look. At the same time I switched to the Q-jet so unfortunately it is not a fair comparison.
Although it doesn't look like it in the picture the carb sits so high that the vent tube is almost touching the hood. The car is consistently .04 quicker in the 60' but is about .05 sec. and 1 mph slower in the 1/4 mile.
Basicly the car picked up down low but doesn't run as hard on the big end which is because of no fresh air (scoop).
The car is more consistant and runs great so I say go for it. Like the others have said give it plenty of fuel volume and try one mod at a time & see what it does on the track.
Keep me posted as I want to build another one and try some (not class legal) mods including switching to E85.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57engine1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1847  
Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
ScottyB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink Re: Q-jet experts , couple questions

Somebody say Quadrajets? Not my car, this is(was?) sitting in a 67 Olds...recent experiment called Quadrajet Madness. I seem to recall video of the car running at a show...instant throttle responce....never heard if it ran down the 1/4...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1849  
ScottyB. is offline   Reply With Quote