HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-08-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
JP1738

Liked 260 Times in 85 Posts
Default TH350 Governor/Shift weights

Hello all. As most know, I burned up the first turbo 350 I had for my M/SA Malibu wagon. Since then, I bought another to get back going for a really good deal with the agreement that I'd give the burned up one back to the guy who sold me the new one. Anyway, that's not important.

The new trans has a built-in auto 1-2 which is really handy for my combo given that first gear has a 2.74 ratio and comes on very quick. I like using the auto 1-2 but the shift is way late. According to my motor man (Mark Lewis) I need to be hitting the 1-2 somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000-6200, but the auto 1-2 has it shifting at 6700. It's definitely slowing the car down shifting so late. From what I understand, I can adjust the governor on the side of the trans to get the shift in sooner. I've found some spring and weight kits on summit that I think would help me adjust it to where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any good resources on what combo of springs and weights would get me close to my desired shift point? I'm sure that all transmissions and valve bodies are not created equal, so I don't know if what works for one guy will work for another, I'd just like somebody to ball park it for me so maybe I don't have to have it apart 89 times trying every combination. I don't know what the trans has in it at the moment, hoping to get it apart and examined tonight. Maybe there's a chart somewhere that shows what weights/springs get you what shift point, or maybe there's a particular governor kit I need that a stock one won't suffice. Honestly I do not know but hoping to learn. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that'd be great.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2024, 10:28 AM   #2
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: TH350 Governor/Shift weights

If I recall correctly, the B&M kit includes a chart with weights/springs and how it affects shift timing. It will just be a matter of seeing what you currently have prior to making a change. It may take a couple of tries to get it where you want it.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:40 AM   #3
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 143 Times in 41 Posts

Examine the governor you have now. There is probably just one of the weights that has been changed. I ran this type of trans for decades. You will need a heavier weight than the one you now have. The aftermarket weights are usually numbered. for example number 1 being the heaviest and number 5 being very light. I have several of them here that are left over if you want to PM me. Jim
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:40 AM   #4
JP1738

Liked 260 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel View Post
If I recall correctly, the B&M kit includes a chart with weights/springs and how it affects shift timing. It will just be a matter of seeing what you currently have prior to making a change. It may take a couple of tries to get it where you want it.
I figured as much. I'll look into the B&M kits first.
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2024, 11:50 AM   #5
Henrys Toy

Liked 467 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: TH350 Governor/Shift weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
Hello all. As most know, I burned up the first turbo 350 I had for my M/SA Malibu wagon. Since then, I bought another to get back going for a really good deal with the agreement that I'd give the burned up one back to the guy who sold me the new one. Anyway, that's not important.

The new trans has a built-in auto 1-2 which is really handy for my combo given that first gear has a 2.74 ratio and comes on very quick. I like using the auto 1-2 but the shift is way late. According to my motor man (Mark Lewis) I need to be hitting the 1-2 somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000-6200, but the auto 1-2 has it shifting at 6700. It's definitely slowing the car down shifting so late. From what I understand, I can adjust the governor on the side of the trans to get the shift in sooner. I've found some spring and weight kits on summit that I think would help me adjust it to where it needs to be.

Does anyone have any good resources on what combo of springs and weights would get me close to my desired shift point? I'm sure that all transmissions and valve bodies are not created equal, so I don't know if what works for one guy will work for another, I'd just like somebody to ball park it for me so maybe I don't have to have it apart 89 times trying every combination. I don't know what the trans has in it at the moment, hoping to get it apart and examined tonight. Maybe there's a chart somewhere that shows what weights/springs get you what shift point, or maybe there's a particular governor kit I need that a stock one won't suffice. Honestly I do not know but hoping to learn. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that'd be great.
Good morning to all,
Didn't Paul Forte from Turbo Action pioneer that set up the 90's?
You might just want to do some research on that. You'll probably have to get under there a couple of times. Also as you make more power you'll have to adjust it some more in the future, but its all good. You should take a look at what's in there. Maybe ask the racer you borrowed the trans from if he's got some guidance for you.
Good luck on you journey.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2024, 01:26 PM   #6
Charles Stewart

Liked 483 Times in 146 Posts
Lightbulb Re: TH350 Governor/Shift weights

This link may help you.
https://www.jegs.com/InstallationIns.../555-62070.pdf
Charles Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-08-2024, 11:15 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post

On 350's . I'd probably put the two heaviest stock springs you can find in it and see what happens. If too low, take one heavy spring out and replace it with one soft one.
Sometimes I would trim a weight or add a bit of weld to one or two.
400 springs and weights are the same, but not the whole governor. The top and drive gears are different.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:48 PM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

i would find a STOCK gov put it in see what happens since you don't know what you have in there now- then depending on what the results are you can play with springs and or weights to achieve your goal--- also make sure the spool valve moves freely and the valve passages the valve and the governor body are CLEAN also-FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-09-2024, 06:32 AM   #9
Bob F

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Question for the 1/2 auto shift guys.
When using this function do you start your burnout in 1st and it shifts itself at gov speed or can it be shifted earlier manually?
Bob F is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-09-2024, 10:01 AM   #10
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 143 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post
Question for the 1/2 auto shift guys.
When using this function do you start your burnout in 1st and it shifts itself at gov speed or can it be shifted earlier manually?
I always started in 1st and shifted it manually in the burnout, that way you can get it out of low gear without having to go to the shift point.
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote