HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Pat Joffrion

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Big Joe was my friend

Few people are aware of what Big Joe did for me, and drag racing in south Louisiana. Back in the spring of 2001, due to sugar residue in the soil, we had to spend an extra $600,000 to treat the subsurface of the No Problem Raceway drag strip with lime and soil cement. My bank at the time attempted to have me sell them my commercial property at another location for $600,000, which was less than half of the fair market value.

Upon hearing about the bind I was in, Big Joe wrote me a check for the $600-K and sent me on my way. No note, no mortgage, no nothing was signed. "Just pay me back when you sell that commercial property," he said. A few months later, when I sold the location for $1,500,000, I brought Big Joe a check for full payment plus 10% interest, and a certificate for 15% ownership in NPR.

Big Joe's comment to me was, "I had your word. That was all I needed. You don't need to give me part of your business. If you ever need my help, all you have to do is ask." That is what made the man so special. He trusted me and believed in what I was attempting to accomplish. Without his help, I would have been in a bind with the bank. His friendship will be missed.
Pat Joffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
PETE PEERY

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: Big Joe was my friend

Pat,

Your post speaks volumes about the exceptional character of you both. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Best regards,
Pete
PETE PEERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
MFBrown

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

More to the kind of guy he was….on one of my first passes in a street roadster at No Problem a few years back, Mr. Joe passed by on his golf cart and complemented the car. A while later as I was getting in he drove up next to me and said, “Hey Lil Brown, you know if your dad was here he would tell you to be careful and take your time.” Mr. Joe knew my dad, the late Jim Brown, from his early years of hot rodding. Those words meant a lot.

I remember him entertaining a group at James “Buggy” Parkers yearly crawfish boil held during State Capitol Dragways NHRA divisional days. NHRA’s Bob Frey was there listening intensely so you know the stories were great! He had enough stories that night to fill a book….! He will be missed but always remembered. R.I.P and prayers to the Joe, Mr. Jeff and the rest of the family.

Mark
MFBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Big Joe was as I call it a 2nd degree guy. If he didn't know you , he knew somebody you knew. He was a man that bought and sold trucks on a hand shake. His word was his bond.
For a guy from the bayou, he knew the location of every White Castle in the state of Indiana.
A few years ago, I was driving him to Indy and we stopped by a White Castle in Indy at 8 o'clock in the am. The girl behind the counter said that he talked funny and wanted to know where he was from. He told her Homa Loooweszeana darling. She said that she loves that alligator show on TV especially that guy Troy on the show. He said give me your number and I'll have Troy call you. It made her day.
Just one of his many stories, but I witnessed this one.

Greg Schenck
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Smile Re: Big Joe was my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Joffrion View Post
Few people are aware of what Big Joe did for me, and drag racing in south Louisiana. Back in the spring of 2001, due to sugar residue in the soil, we had to spend an extra $600,000 to treat the subsurface of the No Problem Raceway drag strip with lime and soil cement. My bank at the time attempted to have me sell them my commercial property at another location for $600,000, which was less than half of the fair market value.

Upon hearing about the bind I was in, Big Joe wrote me a check for the $600-K and sent me on my way. No note, no mortgage, no nothing was signed. "Just pay me back when you sell that commercial property," he said. A few months later, when I sold the location for $1,500,000, I brought Big Joe a check for full payment plus 10% interest, and a certificate for 15% ownership in NPR.

Big Joe's comment to me was, "I had your word. That was all I needed. You don't need to give me part of your business. If you ever need my help, all you have to do is ask." That is what made the man so special. He trusted me and believed in what I was attempting to accomplish. Without his help, I would have been in a bind with the bank. His friendship will be missed.
Pat Joffrion, Big Joe was a friend to almost everyone. A handshake meant everything to Big Joe. Anybody who knew Big Joe, knew he had a way with words. Joe was one funny guy. Back in the 1970's when we were racing our '55 Chevrolet is SS/T on 9" tires, Big Joe complained if he had to race his SS/B Hemi on 9" tires, "Duzac needs to race his car on bicycle tires". Big Joe use to call Randy Heer's 1950 Olds a $50.00 fishing car! But make no mistake, Big Joe was a real man with a heart of gold. I have a witness who can verify what I said. A40+ year friend of Big Joe Teuton, none other than Houma's very own Jerry Caro, another fine man. Back around that time, we would race at Houma, Southland drag strip, State Capital, Laplace, and Gulfport. Big Joe was my friend and I will miss him dearly. R.I.P. Big Joe.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #6
Bobby Brannon

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Big Joe would always ask how my daughter Brittney was doing. He never fail to do this. I always thank him.Big Joe Brittney and I say RIP.What a man. Prayers
Old 04-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

The stories about "Big Joe" are sure to constitute a full layer of the finely woven fabric that has held our end of the sport together for decades. I suspect that everyone who ever had a conversation with Joe has a story to tell. It'll be a cold day in Houma before those stories are all told.

I had the pleasure of a single conversation with Joe and that occurred at the inaugural Top Stock race in Norwalk in 2000. While we stood near the starting line, as eliminations were beginning he turned to me (an absolute stranger) and began a sentence with the preface, "I'll tell you what, Bubba..."

I have used that opening line dozens of times since that day and every time it is uttered, that moment comes back to life in technicolor. After all, It's always the people that we'll remember and Joe's legacy is already legendary. Peace and best wishes to his memory, to his family, and to all who will remember him fondly.

c
Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #8
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

I regret never meeting Big Joe...in this life time. God Speed Joe. I'll look you up one day.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Big Joe was my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Joffrion View Post

Pat , thanks so much for sharing this great "old school" of story how
hand shake buisiness and your word used to be... over
sizeable $$..seems to be fading away these days....
Thank God for the Teuton family and others like them
that support this great family sport !!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

What an extraordinary story and clearly an exceptional man. Condolences to his family and many friends.