HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Bill Bogues

Liked 169 Times in 52 Posts
Smile Greasing wheel bearings

I had a bearing go out on our racecar trailer on the way to our last race. Now i'm replcing all the bearing and races on it to get ready for next year. I worked grease into all the new bearings but now i'm unsure about how much grease to put in the hub, the bearing had plenty of grease in the hub when ireplaced it. I've heard you can put too much grease in it. I usually pump about 5 squirts in each buddy bearing before each race and now i'm wondering if thats a good idea or not. Thanks for any replies.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Greasing wheel bearings

I would think if there was grease around the bearing, then the problem was probably a loose wheel bearing causing too much friction. I can't understand how too much grease can cause a problem, just a mess.
Dan
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
RacingRicki
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In school, I was taught to just spread some grease in the hub area between the bearings to stop rust from occurring.

Too much grease in the hub area can cause problems because if the hub is full grease, it will be churning in there and that builds heat. The excessive grease will try to leak out of the seal and can actually blow out the seal lip. This will then let contaminates in.

Here is a web site that talks about wheel bearings. http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/whee...what-when-why/
Old 11-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Unsure how useful bearing buddies would be on a car trailer...mostly used on boat trailers to pressure/inhibit water intrusion.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Greasing wheel bearings

In my opinion, 5 squirts before each trip is way too much. It can quickly fill up and the problem I've had was that it gets forced out of the seal and into the brakes! The grease needs room to "breathe" and expand.

Bearing buddies are a good idea, just gotta keep an eye on them so they don't vibrate out. It's not a common problem, but I've lost 2-3 over the years that I had an open trailer. They are convenient because you don't have to disassemble everything to grease the bearings. But I always check them periodically to see if the bearings need to be snugged up. Too much play or regular looseness is a sign that something is wrong and that they may be on the way out. I jack up my trailer and check the brake and wheel bearing adjustment a few times per year.

Do you have one of these to pack the bearings?
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/upl...0Composite.jpg

I have found a measurable improvement in bearing life by using synthetic grease. When I had a heavy open trailer, I was using Castrol HD grease. Switching to Amsoil's Dominator Synthetic Racing Grease reduced the maintenance required.

My enclosed trailer now has the built-in EZ lube set-up.
http://www.floeintl.com/assets/pdf/e..._greasecap.pdf
Old 11-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Jim B

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't know if the following items pertain to you but it's not a bad idea to keep in mind- 1) Wheel bearing grease is rated as wheel bearing grease.... general lubrication and/or chassis grease (L series rating) is NOT suitable for use in a wheel bearing environment (wheel bearing grease will have a GA, GB or GC rating [GC is the highest rating]) Some multipurpose grease will be rated for both purposes and have Gx AND Lx ratings 2) don't mix different types of wheel bearing grease (ie, lithium, moly, synthetic, etc.)
As far as level is concerned a general rule of thumb is to pack the bearings (either by hand or using the cone tool earlier in this thread) and fill the center cavity of the hub with grease just up to the tops of the bearing races inside edges evenly 360° around the hub center cavity.

Last edited by Jim B; 11-28-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

After spending the first 25 years of my working career in a truck shop, I have come to the opinion that a heavily fortified Lithium grease ( 3% Moly ) does the best job on wheel bearings... We tried everything through the years. That stuff lasted 3, 4 times longer before we had bearing failures. And it doesn't dry out like so many other ones.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 11-28-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Bill Bogues

This is why I like this site. Good info from other racers. I believe my trailer has the e-z lube feature; it has a grease zerk attached to the end of the spindle. I'll check on that tomorrow. As far as grease, I have a tube of the Lucas oil red stuff. I'll have to check it out too and see if it's the right grease to use. Thanks again; Bill
Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

What size axles you got on that trailer?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
Bill Bogues

Jeff: We have Alco 7000 lb axles. They do have the e-z lube feature. The owners manual that came with the trailer say's to pump grease in it until old grease comes back out of the cap around the grease gun nozzle.I didn't know any trailers much less mine had something like this on them. Live and learn.