HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Mike Savelle

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cool body in white question

I have a NEW 1998 Camaro body in white I am working on for stock , the roof was never fastened and was wondering if I have to do something special to glue it on . Mike
Mike Savelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: body in white question

Here is some info on it that I got from another site. Might save you some hassle down the road to know about this.

4th gen F-body sail panels are adhered to the body of the car using glue (urethane). The bubbling sail panel paint issue is due to this glue seeping through the panel and causing bubbles along the surface of the panel. The reason for the seepage seems to be due to the lack of paint/epoxy primer on the underside of the panel, a process change which started at GM on very late '98 cars (05/98 and later are at risk) and affected all '99+ models. This allows the glue to directly contact the panel and seep into it over time. Heat/UV exposure seems to bring the glue through the panel once it's begun to seep.

Sanding/painting/bondo'ing/etc. will not fix this condition. Complete panel replacement is the only permanent fix. Once the glue has eaten into the panel, there is no way to correct this from the top side. The problem lies underneath, and nothing you do on top is going to change this. The only other option would be to never drive the car in sunlight.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Savelle View Post
I have a NEW 1998 Camaro body in white I am working on for stock , the roof was never fastened and was wondering if I have to do something special to glue it on . Mike
If I am correct, they were attached with body panel adhesive such as SEM Products 39747 Multi-Purpose Panel Adhesive.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
Here is some info on it that I got from another site. Might save you some hassle down the road to know about this.

4th gen F-body sail panels are adhered to the body of the car using glue (urethane). The bubbling sail panel paint issue is due to this glue seeping through the panel and causing bubbles along the surface of the panel. The reason for the seepage seems to be due to the lack of paint/epoxy primer on the underside of the panel, a process change which started at GM on very late '98 cars (05/98 and later are at risk) and affected all '99+ models. This allows the glue to directly contact the panel and seep into it over time. Heat/UV exposure seems to bring the glue through the panel once it's begun to seep.

Sanding/painting/bondo'ing/etc. will not fix this condition. Complete panel replacement is the only permanent fix. Once the glue has eaten into the panel, there is no way to correct this from the top side. The problem lies underneath, and nothing you do on top is going to change this. The only other option would be to never drive the car in sunlight.
Ron, there is a company that makes a replacement panel made in the USA.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=241
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Ron, there is a company that makes a replacement panel made in the USA.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=241
Yes. But did you see how much that sucker costs?

The better bet is to find a wrecked one in the salvage yard and take it off with some piano wire.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Mike Savelle

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Re: body in white question

thanks for the reply ........ did you see how much a complete hard top cost ,, WOW that's more then I paid for the whole car . I will be painting the under side for sure ..
Mike Savelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
A Morris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike give me a call. 770-826-3910
Arthur Morris
A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote