HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
Tom Meyer

Liked 301 Times in 105 Posts
Default Acid Porting

I know the concept but what is the best way to acid port some exhaust manifolds. What type of acid works the best, heat no heat, how often do change or do a clean out? How about any good stories from the past. Always heard stories about lite weight cars being dipped back in the day. Tom
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Acid Porting

The chirping of crickets is all I hear. LOL

What kind of manifolds are you working on? I used to have to port some by grinding when local dirt tracks had classes that didn't allow headers,was tough grinding they get hardened from the heat.

I don't know what they used but I use to take apart steering boxes,master cylinders etc. and reassemble them for a chrome shop,before they start the plating process they dip in a acid solution,if they didn't mask good it would eat the sealing areas completely out of the casting, it appeared to be some bad stuff, so maybe check with a chrome plater

Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
JHeath

Liked 370 Times in 102 Posts

Maybe these guys can give you some advice.www.castheads.com
JHeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Meyer View Post
I know the concept but what is the best way to acid port some exhaust manifolds. What type of acid works the best, heat no heat, how often do change or do a clean out? How about any good stories from the past. Always heard stories about lite weight cars being dipped back in the day. Tom
Extrude Hone.
Check out www.PureStockDrags.com
They have their Stock Exhaust, fuel lines extrude honed for performance.

They have another division that everything must look stock from the outside.

This should impress you.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...gs-2011-recap/
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Do a search on here. I posted the name of a place a couple years ago that can do whole car bodies. Cant remember the name now. But they are still in business or were a couple of years ago. They did a NASCAR race car that was busted at Martinsville a few years ago. I knew someone that worked there at the time and actually was the one who dipped that particular cars body panels. He has since passed away or I would get their info from him for you. When I was involved with Late Model stock cars (asphalt) years ago we would send all the steel body panels out before hanging them to be acid dipped. I think it was a waste but I was not paying for it. As for exhaust manifolds and stuff like that we were required by the rules at that time to use a factory cast exhaust manifold. We used the Corvette Rams Horn manifolds and sent them to a place called Brezenski (might not be spelled right) to have the acid work done. By the time we got them back they were so thin that you had to be very careful not to drop them or they would break. Especially after they had been run a couple of races. They don't last very long when you do this. But the car owner had deep pockets it helped so we did it. I saw some neat stuff back then.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 12-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Meyer View Post
Nitric