HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

View Poll Results: Should Indy Be All Run Field In Stock?
ONLY 128 Fastest Cars under index 133 66.50%
ALL RUN FIELD 67 33.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts
Default Re: Should Indy be an All Run Field in Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
They Pay Their Own Entry Fee Now To Race In Stock Eliminator Don't They ??

If 80 Cars Show Up In The Factory Stock Class, Than It's 80 x ( $500 To Enter Indy Right ?? ) $4,000 Taken In.

Winner- $2,000
R.U.- $500.
Semi's- $300.
Quarters- $200.

Plus Maybe The Big 3 Can Add Some $$$$ To The Pot.
Like The Hemi Shoot-Out.
80 x $500 = $40,000

just sayin'
Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #72
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackley View Post
Class winners first then fill tbe 128 car field with fastest cars as it was.

The only problem I have with this is the classes with one car that never competes for class, and many times would not even come close to qualifying based off of the index.

So I'd say contested class winners get in, not just class winners.

Because these are performance based eliminators. If you do not have to race another car to win class, then you should qualify according to how far you run under your index. Performance based means you measure yourself against competitors. If there are no competitors in your class, then you measure your performance against the rest of the cars qualifying off of their index.

Yeah, I know, "it's not your fault you're the only person who built an obscure combination for a class no one else in the country runs." But it is your fault if that combination can't run far enough under the index to qualify. If the guy who decides to run B/SA against 10-15 other cars, but doesn't win class, does not qualify running 0.780 under his index, why should anyone who competes against no one get in if they can't run 0.500 under going down hill with a tail wind, just because they got to solo for class? How do you call it a performance based eliminator, then reward someone for avoiding the need to compete based on performance? If you're going to do that, just stopping racing, and give everyone a trophy for showing up.

Last edited by Alan Roehrich; 09-19-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Alan Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #73
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
The only problem I have with this is the classes with one car that never competes for class, and many times would not even come close to qualifying based off of the index.

So I'd say contested class winners get in, not just class winners.

Because these are performance based eliminators. If you do not have to race another car to win class, then you should qualify according to how far you run under your index. Performance based means you measure yourself against competitors. If there are no competitors in your class, then you measure your performance against the rest of the cars qualifying off of their index.

Yeah, I know, "it's not your fault you're the only person who built an obscure combination for a class no one else in the country runs." But it is your fault if that combination can't run far enough under the index to qualify. If the guy who decides to run B/SA against 10-15 other cars, but doesn't win class, does not qualify running 0.780 under his index, why should anyone who competes against no one get in if they can't run 0.500 under going down hill with a tail wind, just because they got to solo for class? How do you call it a performance based eliminator, then reward someone for avoiding the need to compete based on performance? If you're going to do that, just stopping racing, and give everyone a trophy for showing up.
Alan,the knife cuts both ways.I had a car that ran T/SA.There are more than a few around the country. It's not my fault if they don't care to come to Indy.
Worse comes to worse they could run the auto/stick combo if need be.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #74
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts

The best place to tune for Indy is Bowling Green. Test on Thursday, race the weekend, if needed rent the track on Monday. Do what it takes to get in the "Show".

Class winners,(must run on or under index), and the rest of field filed by the fastest qualifiers. The AHFS will work much better in the larger classes if class winners get in. It will raise the bump spot for a year or two and get people looking at different combos.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #75
Ron Ortiz

Liked 251 Times in 84 Posts

I go to Indy one year and there are 4 U/SA cars there. I win class and get into the Eliminator. The following year I go and I am the only U/SA car there. I can't run the index and I don't get in the Eliminator. Then NHRA changes format and says you have to be -500 under on a bye run to get in. Then they group all the singles into a combo category where the fastest is going to win for sure

I have had it with you nitwits that say "you're the only person in a class", "no one else in the country runs that combo", "you need to work on your car" You guys complain about the new cars being under factored and it's not fair.

How about having to deal with this for a lot of years.Bob Dennis banana car. Bob Shaw's turbo Mercury Capri, Chevrolet Caprice, and the Caddy. Paul Wong and his Chevy pick up, Gary Summers little Mustang, Lloyd MacKay Buick. #1 qualifiers all of them. And not by a little bit, 2 second under cars.

I'll just throw $20,000 in the car with hard work and then I'll be right there with them, right. NHRA's AHFS is an absolute joke that is run by the manufactures. How about all those die hards that have flogged their combo for years to get it to run as good as it does. Then NHRA allows some bogus HP cars to come into their class and totally destroy them.

"Class" is supposed to be a performance based thing, got no problem with that. But if I'm the only one in my class, don't give me your crap about me trying to win with some obscure combo. Heck, NHRA is the one who is screwing over everyone with their new format of the quickest 128.

Indy should be class winners followed by the quickest. And if I win class as I am the only one, don't I still have to dial in for the Eliminator.

And if you do not like my opinion, then tell it to me face to face so I can recognize you as an a$$hole.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA where the #1's live.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #76
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: Should Indy be an All Run Field in Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Ortiz View Post
I go to Indy one year and there are 4 U/SA cars there. I win class and get into the Eliminator. The following year I go and I am the only U/SA car there. I can't run the index and I don't get in the Eliminator. Then NHRA changes format and says you have to be -500 under on a bye run to get in. Then they group all the singles into a combo category where the fastest is going to win for sure

I have had it with you nitwits that say "you're the only person in a class", "no one else in the country runs that combo", "you need to work on your car" You guys complain about the new cars being under factored and it's not fair.

How about having to deal with this for a lot of years.Bob Dennis banana car. Bob Shaw's turbo Mercury Capri, Chevrolet Caprice, and the Caddy. Paul Wong and his Chevy pick up, Gary Summers little Mustang, Lloyd MacKay Buick. #1 qualifiers all of them. And not by a little bit, 2 second under cars.

I'll just throw $20,000 in the car with hard work and then I'll be right there with them, right. NHRA's AHFS is an absolute joke that is run by the manufactures. How about all those die hards that have flogged their combo for years to get it to run as good as it does. Then NHRA allows some bogus HP cars to come into their class and totally destroy them.

"Class" is supposed to be a performance based thing, got no problem with that. But if I'm the only one in my class, don't give me your crap about me trying to win with some obscure combo. Heck, NHRA is the one who is screwing over everyone with their new format of the quickest 128.

Indy should be class winners followed by the quickest. And if I win class as I am the only one, don't I still have to dial in for the Eliminator.

And if you do not like my opinion, then tell it to me face to face so I can recognize you as an a$$hole.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA where the #1's live.
damn ron you may need some jack links beef jerky cause they are messin with sasquach
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #77
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Alan,the knife cuts both ways.I had a car that ran T/SA.There are more than a few around the country. It's not my fault if they don't care to come to Indy.
Worse comes to worse they could run the auto/stick combo if need be.
Ed, that's fair enough, then they either win their combo to get in, or they qualify off of their index. That evens things up.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #78
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
80 x $500 = $40,000

just sayin'
Damn, My Math Was Off By 2 Miles. Thanks For The Correction Alan.

Yeah, So Their's Way More Than Enough Money For Their Own Eliminator, And Than Some.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #79
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

What about a racer who has 10-12 cars in his/her Class in the country. All but one live east of the Mississippi. Two years in a row at Indy, he is the only one who shows up. **** it, penalize him, he showed when no one else did and was only -.73, he can't race.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #80
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
What about a racer who has 10-12 cars in his/her Class in the country. All but one live east of the Mississippi. Two years in a row at Indy, he is the only one who shows up. **** it, penalize him, he showed when no one else did and was only -.73, he can't race.

How is that guy any different than the guy who shows up, races 3 rounds of class, doesn't win, and doesn't go far enough under to get in on time? If they both go 0.730 under, and the bump is 0.770, they were both too slow to make the cut.

If we're going to call it a "performance based class", why should anyone not have to qualify based off of their index?

Everyone qualifies off of their index, everyone competes for a class win, the cars that are alone in their class race in the combo, and everyone is subject to the AHFS. So everyone has to perform to the same standard to make the final eliminations, either win your class or class combo, or be far enough under the index. Seems fair enough to me.

We plan to be back at Indy soon, if we don't make the cut, it means we didn't get it done, we'll go home.