HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #111
Another Friendly Racer

Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

Is it possible that drag racing is, for the most part, simply a uni-generational sport fueled by the muscle car era?
Another Friendly Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #112
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Yes!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #113
randy wilson

Bracket racing killed crowd appeal for drag racing. No other sport from volleyball to ultimate fighting makes the better man lose. Sorry, but that killed the spectator part of it.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #114
Rick Leininger Jr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Butler View Post
Class racing is wonderful if you have a one combo class. The minute someone finds a loop hole car or bogus motor end of story. I raced GT/AA for several years and it was great. Only two combinations were running and they were a coin flip on hp rating. Then Small block combination runnin1000 lb lighter same class. Then bogus Truck motor. Result several years of fewer equivalent cars to race for trophy.
IF one motor per class or based on lb per cubic inch same specs that is REAL class racing....
Also Class racing with current rules can be very expensive due to wild equipment and machining available.
What combo did you run in GT/AA? How quick?

What is the "bogus Truck motor" combo?

What is the one single combo that should be the only one allowed in GT/AA?

What is the one single combo that should only be allowed in each of the other 25 GT classes?

What "wild equipment and machining" are you referring to?

Just trying to learn.......

Last edited by Rick Leininger Jr.; 09-20-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Rick Leininger Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #115
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Well I can answer honestly fearing despite the fact I fear that the wording of the questions points to you thinking I think only one car should be legal for GT/AA or other GT classes.
I ran 454/425 hp at 3610 lb. My best winning time for class was 9.51 when all the cars were basically the same motors or the 454 oval port motors which ran very similar et.
This was class winning time my last year at Indy. This car could still race class but without much chance of winning.

454 low compression truck motor which was able to run 8.60s to 70s. That makes it seem bogus in factoring. Someone else might remember the hp rating. Smart find by the builder but points out the fallacy of using HP for classification in the long run.

I say no to a single combo in GT/AA question since that is not current rules but .... Might be helpful to make it so the racing does not involve another 30K motor every year and complete changes of combination to be able to compete.

25GT classes -Same answer.... Not current rules.....

Wild equipment and machining--- Honda rod bearings, oversided cams. Ported Heads and manifolds. Exotic materials....

Many successful racers love things the way they are. That is fine. I believe the rules should be simplified for ONE or two classes for growth of class racing. Aging racers points to need for entry level for new people who might not have parents currently involved.

Last edited by Dick Butler; 09-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #116
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,787 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Bracket racing killed crowd appeal for drag racing. No other sport from volleyball to ultimate fighting makes the better man lose. Sorry, but that killed the spectator part of it.
Bull!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #117
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
The bottom line is money...even if you were to start with the most basic of basic operations...

Good used truck....10000
Open trailer....1500
Nice foot break car...10000
Spares...3500

If you wanted to start small I mean your average saturday night bracket buster combo your gonna spend at least 20/25K to get the ball rolling

This answers it perfectly.....and it is just not affordable for the people the sport needs the most now.....the younger generation....

It was always a challenge to afford racing even when I started in the mid 1960's......add a wife....a couple kids....a mortgage and family obligations and racing is done....

That is exactly why I stopped racing in 1971 .....

Things change and I was able to return to what I enjoy doing but it was never easy and not too many people would do what I did to make it happen...

It takes a commitment and dedication....and the youth of today have neither for this sport...

They would rather play with a smart phone which to me is the most useless activity ever dreamed up.......
Old 09-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #118
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,787 Times in 1,524 Posts

At the risk of answering this under the influence of a bit too much Cuervo, the blind Zombies that are following Drag Racing are hurting Drag Racing.
Cut the number of National Events in half, increase the purses and build up a meaningful contingency program! Oh, and make Indy a 128 car field made up of Class Winners(no matter how many cars are in the Class or how fast they go) and filled with the fastest Qualifiers. See how many new cars get built overnight just to run Indy and see how interesting Racing can get again.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #119
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
At the risk of answering this under the influence of a bit too much Cuervo, the blind Zombies that are following Drag Racing are hurting Drag Racing.
Cut the number of National Events in half, increase the purses and build up a meaningful contingency program! Oh, and make Indy a 128 car field made up of Class Winners(no matter how many cars are in the Class or how fast they go) and filled with the fastest Qualifiers. See how many new cars get built overnight just to run Indy and see how interesting Racing can get again.
True billy
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #120
randy wilson

I ain't slamming bracket racing. I'm just telling the truth. Go to your local bracket track, and count the spectators. Especially the ones not with cars. Then go to the local tractor pull, or roundy round race, and count the spectators. It is what it is. I remember Eddyville, and Bethany in the seventies. Class racing, standing room only. Eddyville went to bracket racing I believe in 1980, and have had rusty bleachers ever since. No one in the population understands it, or thinks you are actually trying to go faster then the other guy. Race whatever you want, but please have the decency to say it ain't spectator friendly.