HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

Randy,
I do like seeing cars on open trailers... my boys both point them out when they see them on the highway, if I dont first! LOL
Not sure that had major impact on the tracks and sport, but probably did not help any.
I am old enough now to say I remember when (45)... tracks had good car counts and good crowds in the stands. Was a cheap night out when I was in highschool to go to the track. BS with friends, watch the cars, no cops to worry about if I was drinking beer until we left... etc. Some good reasons, some not so good... LOL
Less cars hurt the track. They raise fan prices, trying to make up for it, and then lose that also. Not making any money, so dont want to gamble on paying for show cars to come, for bigger purses, etc. BAD spiral.
I dont have the answers. Just agreeing and sounding off I guess.
Have a good weekend.

Ken
Stock 412
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Rising costs and poor economy . I was looking at the Super Stock class winners at Indy and thinking where are all the young people !
Even Stock is filled with older people, Most of the young people you see today have
Mom and Dad paying the bills,,, It just cost to much for a young family to build a car and keep it up.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks guys. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I just remember going through K.C. or Eddyville, or Omaha, (Cornhusker) or Detroit dragway, (I worked up there in 73) and see open cars on the trailer, and if I had the opportunity I'd head for the track. I remember my first time at Eddyville in 77 to race, (I did not qualify in GG\Hot rod, formula 2) pulling in behind a pinto, a monza, a 48 ford pickup with a small block in it, an altered with an injected hemi, a 55 chevy, a 65 chevelle, etc. and just the excitement. 64 car field in SS, and a 64 car field in Top Street, (Comp). Full field, with 86, count em, 86 non qualifiers, with standing room only.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Jeff Goss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 18 year old Son has no interest in driving my Super Stocker.

However, he is about to get a Subaru WRX, and likes the idea of hopping it up and running it down the quarter mile.

The customer base is changing.
Jeff Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

I think we "dinosaurs" are the problem, as we are unwilling to adapt to change. Let the XYZ generation and the cars of this generation let the motorsport we love evolve.
Pro stock needs to be about today's Muscle cars.

Muscle cars of the sixties and seventies are of my era and should have a place in NHRA drag racing forever.

PS; I love open trailers and haulers too.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
Stephen & Horace Johnson

Liked 148 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
Rising costs and poor economy . I was looking at the Super Stock class winners at Indy and thinking where are all the young people !
Even Stock is filled with older people, Most of the young people you see today have
Mom and Dad paying the bills,,, It just cost to much for a young family to build a car and keep it up.
Hey ken count me as a youngster. . I let my dad take the class winner pic instead of myself. He has never had his pic in the national dragster and I thought he deserved too..

On another note the young people are not interested in spending the amount of money we spend to race a class car. . They can run an outlaw car far cheaper , alot quicker and faster and run races every weekend at a cheaper entry fee and if they win get paid a good amount...
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Stephen & Horace Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #17
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,705 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen & Horace Johnson View Post
Hey ken count me as a youngster. . I let my dad take the class winner pic instead of myself. He has never had his pic in the national dragster and I thought he deserved too..

On another note the young people are not interested in spending the amount of money we spend to race a class car. . They can run an outlaw car far cheaper , alot quicker and faster and run races every weekend at a cheaper entry fee and if they win get paid a good amount...
DRC has posted the class winner photos and I thought that was very cool to see your Dad holding that trophy, well done. And agree that it must be pretty intimidating to see many class racers with the stackers and and rigs that represent such a huge investment. No wonder that they stick with the local 10.5, heads-up and brackets.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #18
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Talking Re: Part of what hurt drag racing

When we started to race jr dragsters we had a jr on an open trailer and a mini bike ( kinda like the Clampets going racing) Every time we stopped someone would come over and ask about the car. We then purchased a new enclosed and when we would stop no one ever asked what was in the box. When the girls finished jrs we then put my street cars in the box and again no one ever asked what was in the box. We purchased a new open trailer last year and if I stop for gas or food someone asks about the car. BUT if I die my daughters would have a toterhome and a stacker

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
I think we "dinosaurs" are the problem, as we are unwilling to adapt to change. Let the XYZ generation and the cars of this generation let the motorsport we love evolve.
Pro stock needs to be about today's Muscle cars.

Muscle cars of the sixties and seventies are of my era and should have a place in NHRA drag racing forever.

PS; I love open trailers and haulers too.
Watch out you will be eaten alive on here by those who never personally attack anybody on here who state their opinion.

"Adapt to change" - how preposterous .. OMG .. what heresy
Old 09-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #20
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Kevin just explained it better then I. What made me think of this was today I took the Cobalt down to a good friend of mine I do tractor pulling motors for to look at the brake drag problem we have. We plan to make another blast with it to get people interested in the car that is for sale. I just put it on my open trailer, and whenever we stopped, a crowd came over. When in an enclosed trailer, not one interested person even spoke to us.