HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default Dragon Snake Cobra

Anyone here remember this car, the '63 Shelby Cobra called the "Dragon Snake".

Quote:
CSX 2093 was the 93rd Cobra built and is one of only eight cars modified with the Shelby-developed Dragonsnake package designed to maximize drag racing performance. Depending on options, the package could swell the bottom line to a whopping $8,990, a huge sum in 1960s-era dollars.
Owned by Jim Costilow and piloted by drag racer Bruce Larson, later of USA-1 Funny Car fame, the Dragonsnake dominated the NHRA’s A/SP, AA/SP, B/SP and C/SP classes in 1964. It set all new records in the 1965 season and won the NHRA Springnationals, Winternationals and U.S. Indy Nationals that year. The Cobra was so successful that it overshadowed Shelby’s factory-sponsored Dragonsnake, much to Shelby’s dismay, and thereafter factory support for the privateer effort began to dry up.
Later, with subsequent owner Ed Hedrick behind the wheel, CSX 2093 went on to win the 1966 Springnationals and U.S. Nationals. It also chalked up class wins at the 1967 Springnationals, Winternationals, U.S. Indy Nationals, and finished out the season with the World Points Championship. It continued to set records in 1968. All told, CSX 2093 held national titles in four separate classes.
The Costilow/Larson Dragonsnake has been authenticated and certified by the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) as a true and correct original car, and has also won that organization’s Senior Award and Race Car Certification badges. It has undergone a completely accurate and show-quality restoration by Ziegler Coach of Los Angeles, CA and is presented exactly as it competed, including the Weber-carbureted 289 Ford V-8 with Ballanger side mount headers, 4-speed transmission, Cobra Sunburst rear wheels with slicks, wire front wheels, removable hardtop and eye-grabbing Magenta metalflake paint.
Offered with full documentation of its NHRA national records, this is not only the most famous and successful of the eight Shelby Dragonsnakes; it is in fact the winningest competition Cobra in history.

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail...=FL0112-122833

Well it just sold for $850,000.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Dragon Snake Cobra

Hell yeah I remember it, it used to kick our *** at Atco. We ran a 365hp vette and couldn't come close to competing with them.

JimR
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I remember correctly, they wanted over a million for it last year and couldn't get it. Not sure which Mecum event. May have been one of the last ones in KC.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
tommy d

Liked 311 Times in 116 Posts

Shoot! Moose carry's that kind of money around in his cars ash tray. You gonna park it next to the L88 vette you just bought?
tommy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

is this the car that was based out of Westbury New York.
I saw somewhere thru this site a class winner picture from like 1965 Indy and the guy was from Long Island.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Peter Ash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the photos.
Peter Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy d View Post
Shoot! Moose carry's that kind of money around in his cars ash tray. You gonna park it next to the L88 vette you just bought?
tommy, yeah don't I wish...but I think I'd be buying up all the old Max Wedge or Race Hemi cars instead if I was a Millionaire, how about you?

It also says that 6 or 8 Dragon Snakes were built in the two descriptions in the link, does anyone know for sure...any Ford experts out there know.

Last edited by Hemi Moose; 01-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

It was also sold last year at the 2011 January Kisimee auction. It went for 875,000 then, so it lost 25,000 (2.8%) in value in one year
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember the Jaywalker M/P Cobra parked in front of a gas station on my way to school. Yonge st Toronto 60's---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

It was a very impressive car in its day. I saw it run at the 1967 Nascar Drags in Deland Fl. during Nascar Speed Weeks. Probably the best drag race Ive ever been too but cold as heck & foggy
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote