HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal
Default Trans help

Hello All.
I know this is the Stock Super Stock thread, but you guys are the best and have the correct answers.
I have a couple issue, I need advice on.
This is a S/ST car, running on a throttle stop.
The trans was freshened up over the winner.

1) 1st issue is sometimes I'll pull the shifter down into 1st gear and the car is not in gear. It won't move. even if I shift it to 2nd it won't move. I have to put the car in reverse and push the trans break button to get it to go into 1st gear. This has happened several times over the last couple races. I have readjusted the shifter cable several times.

2) 2nd issue is the car is creeping while on the stop, I look at the play back almost every run. The only difference between this year and last year is a vacuum pump and freshening up the trans.
The cruse speed is 3900 RPMs and it will creep to 4550 to 4600. I know I know its not the trans!!!
But it is the only real difference.

3) 3rd issue is when the car comes of the stop the RPM jump up to 6200 RPM,( as normal) Charges to about 6500, then it feels like you hit the noz button the car jumps up in the air like it is leaving the line all over again, RPMs jump to 7000 then just as fast fall back to 6500 and continues charging down the race track as normal.

It does not feel as if the tires are spinning to me. The car is a 68 corvette and I sit basicly right in front of the rear tire, I generally know when it spins.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cal S/ST 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: Trans help

I don't know much (period) but it sounds like the valve body isn't doing a good job of controlling the trans. I had a TCI StreetFighter in my bracket car and the reverse wouldn't engage without the trans brake being activated. I had the trans completely rebuilt with a solenoid from Performance Automatic in a new C4 case (same valve body and TB) and it fixed that. What brand trans and valve body/trans brake? Automatics shouldn't act like that. Was the "refresh" guy familiar with high HP applications like yours?

Maybe someone with more knowledge of automatics than me can help more.

EDIT: When the rpm's jump, can you feel the trans acting up like it's shifting up or down?
EDIT 2: You have a delay box/computer running the TS. Is the software or firmware up to date? Have you looked at it on a PC lately? Maybe try resetting it. Could be a computer issue.

Dale

Last edited by FireSale; 06-23-2016 at 12:43 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

If the trans fluid and band adjustment are good I would look for some electrical gremlins. Bad grounds can cause may crazy things with electronics. Bare wires. loose connections, too many wires routed next to each other. Check your shifter adjustment to make sure it is properly adjusted. I usually check mine in high gear. Check all of the gears to make sure the right shift arm is on the trans for your shifter. Disconnect the throttle stop and make some runs to see how it acts. also remove any high RPM chips from the rev limiter.,
Old 06-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

Hi,

If the trans was freshened and the problem started, maybe you should check the rooster comb to make sure that is tight & not broken???

Bob
Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Lou Jeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am going to assume that this is a Powerglide. Install a pressure gauge on the servo cover 1/8" 27 NPT thread size with at least 200 psi gauge. Anytime the vehicle is running in first gear you should have pressure at this tap. If you have no pressure or low pressure (under 80 psi) you have either a bad pump or stuck pressure regulator.
Lou Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote