HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
Bobby Zlatkin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question M-200 torque converter installation

Can't seem to get my torque converter back far enough onto the trans (M200) input shaft to give me space between the converter mounting pads and the flex plate so I can then pull the converter forward to bolt it down. (Damn, that was a long sentence) The converter is 3/4" back from the mating surface of the trans housing. Is that enough space? I am pretty sure I have the converter all the way into the trans (2 notches in).

I didn't have any problem with the last converter I used with this trans.

What am I missing here? Any help, thanks.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Lou Jeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: M-200 torque converter installation

Bobby, I think you are not engaged with the pump drive yet. I measured a stock 200 with converter and mount pads are 1.125 inches behind the mounting surface. The pump drive, The two square notches on the neck of the converter are the last part to engage. Hope this helps. Louis Jeffery
Lou Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #3
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 225 Times in 36 Posts

I had an issue with a 200 like this a number of years ago. My solution was to stand the trans up vertically (I used a trash can to hold the trans) and install the converter. It dropped down on the input shaft easily that way. Be sure not to let the converter move and muscle it back under the car. Not fun, but it worked.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
R. Thorne

Liked 43 Times in 24 Posts

If you have access to a mike (or dial caliper) measure the torque converter snout o.d. of both converters. Just .001" bigger could be holding up the converter from seating fully. Sometimes just putting in new front pump bushing can do the same thing. Also, check for a burr on the end of the torque converter snout. Ron.
R. Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Removed

Last edited by Mike Jones; 06-18-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Had this happen to me a couple of times when a VERY reputable converter company did not machine the converter splines correctly....thought I was loosing my mind....ps....2 different companies....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Had this happen to me a couple of times when a VERY reputable converter company did not machine the converter splines correctly....thought I was loosing my mind....ps....2 different companies....
It is true that some of the hubs and components have turned up to be machined under size.
No telling where the actual part was manufactured.
I did learn early on , to check each hub with a shaft of the appropriate spline.
Bobby, that doesn't help you much at the moment unless you have a spare input shaft laying around.
If you are at 3/4 now,...no, that is not enough.
If you measure through one of flex plate holes forward to the machined bellhousing surface of the block , you will see that the converter pads need to be back from the trans case surface by that amount, plus your pullback clearance...At least .900 plus but usually 1.00 or more.
The pilot (what some have called the snout) has to be 1.702 or smaller on a GM V8.
The hub is what goes in the transmission. Again ,not a snout.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Tom Moock

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Some of the 200 transmission need to have the case's honed out to make converter slid in easy, the cases go out of round dew to weak cases and heat on 200. I have Scott McClay hone mine, Not much fun standing transmission up having to use hammer to get converter in. Tom
Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
ss3011

Liked 221 Times in 102 Posts

Never, ever use a hammer to pound in a converter ! The last "step" on a GM converter is the drive tangs for the pump . If the drive slots on the converter are not aligned with the tangs , then pounding in the converter could cause them to break off . I usually hold the pilot so it doesn't droop down , then spin the converter while lightly pushing in on the converter . Works for me !
ss3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
rod butcher

Liked 129 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Never, ever use a hammer to pound in a converter ! The last "step" on a GM converter is the drive tangs for the pump . If the drive slots on the converter are not aligned with the tangs , then pounding in the converter could cause them to break off . I usually hold the pilot so it doesn't droop down , then spin the converter while lightly pushing in on the converter . Works for me !
I have found if you put the pump tabs at 12 and 6 oclock the convertor plugs in much easier.
rod butcher is offline   Reply With Quote