HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
Dion Hildebrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: How do i get a radial slick to hook on a marginal track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Davenport View Post
Not trying to steal the thread but more than one person told me the M/T radials might get 30 passes at best-----I bought a set------not sure its going to make thirty with ten to go-----anyone else comment on M/T lifespan ????
On my 3500 pound H stocker chevelle I am lucky to get 40 passes on a set of M/T Radials, they hook great just not long lasting.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,729 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerAL View Post
Well if I'm only going to get 50-60 passes out of the radials, I'll switch back to a bias ply slick. I have a new set Goodyear 4457's that I tried early this year and they were even more touchy than the Hoosiers. I think I'll try to sell them and get a set of bias ply's. I was hoping to get more input from the racers that use these slicks.... Surely every track you guys race on isn't prepped to perfection. Thanks countrypuppy and Jim Perrone for ur input. Im going to add weight in the trunk and take some timing out of it and hopefully I can get it to not spin. I've wasted 3 points races messing with this issue. I'll have me a set of bias ply's on it as soon as I sell the Goodyears.
Radials are always less forgiving than a bias ply. I have over 100 passes on the 4457's that are on my COPO and they are not close to being done. They do not like a big burnout. What tire pressure did you try? I run 20-22 PSI. I agree that weight should help.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
racerAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simpson View Post
Add some weight, take out some initial timing. take some hit out of the converter, if you foot brake come up on the converter some. I have lowered tire pressure a little. But, if you do heavy burn outs, stop... In the real heat just barely see any smoke let them go. The tires are good, but you are right, in some conditions they are not as forgiving as a bias. Your car might not stand up as high as it usually does but it will help it hook and you can work on that set up and have the other for killer air. I hope this helps some.

Robert
Thanks for the help Robert..it's highly possible I'm doing to hard of a burn out. I'm loading up now to go to my local track test and tune. I'm taking out some timing and added 100 of weigh, hopefully it helps.
racerAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
racerAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
I run a wider tire than you do also taller. Nothing can fix a bad track. The radials are much faster on my car than the bias. What are the other guys experiencing at the bad tracks. similar to you or not. If the other racers are not having a big problem than you might need some suspension adjustments on your car. I run Hoosier and get more passes than I did with the Mickeys.
I'm pretty much the only(sorta fast...lol) small tire car that races at my local track. All my buddies have back halved cars or tube chassis cars and they are having no issues at all. When my car hooks I 60ft as well as most of my buddies back halved cars. But when it's hot my car goes to crap and they don't have any issue.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
racerAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUMP View Post
Radials are always less forgiving than a bias ply. I have over 100 passes on the 4457's that are on my COPO and they are not close to being done. They do not like a big burnout. What tire pressure did you try? I run 20-22 PSI. I agree that weight should help.
I've been at 21psi..but I haven't tried anything different in the heat. I was pretty sure I didn't want to go lower and was afraid to go much higher. I'll try 22psi tonight at test and tune.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

I wouldn't run a bias slick if they paid me to.

I run Hoosier 9" radials on a 10" wheel. Burnout is extremely minimal. I do not use a line lock. Low gear just to get them spinning, then shift to high.

Weight in the trunk is definitely good. I think I have a couple hundred pounds back there.

I run 17 psi but, honestly, it is only for even wear with my combo. I've been from 16 - 26 and have never seen a difference in performance. Half the time I don't even check them once I've made a couple passes.

It did take some work initially once I got some decent HP. You'll want to make sure the front end moves freely.

I've never counted passes, but I'm sure I get 150 on the Hoosier C07 tire.

Stick with them and you will be better for it! I love hearing others complain about a tricky track. As long as I don't go up in smoke, I know my 60' time will be within .01 of the previous run.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
George Mirza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Radials can be touchy on a marginal track for sure. I would drop the tire pressure to 18 and see if it helps. It will give the tire a bit more contact with the track. You may have just simply worn them out if you have been doing a heavy burn out. Not to say your car doesn't have a good suspension, but most stockers have a very well tuned and adjusted set up, with a lot of weight moved around.
My suggestion is to go with a 29.5x9 Mickey Thompson bias tire for bracket racing. They'll be .08 - .10 slower, hook great and if they spin it's only .01-.03. Not to mention they are much cheaper than the radials.

Last edited by George Mirza; 06-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.
George Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
racerAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well the changes helped alittle . I lost .10 in the 60ft but it was better and consistent. After reading all these replies, I'm pretty certain I've been doing to hard of a burnout and the radials are worn out. A racer here had a set of bias ply 29.5x9 M/T for sale here at the track so I went ahead and bought them and having them mounted up this morning. I'll see how they work out and make my decision on which slick to run after I see how they do today in the heat. I'm leaning towards another set of radials, and changing my burnout routine. Im also going to get a weight ballast box built so I can add more weight if necessary. It's apparent that I have only been nibbling at adding weight, and was hesitant to add alot, but now that I see what adding 120lbs did to help I won't hesitate to add larger amounts of weight when I'm having traction issues in the future. Thanks for all the help, I probably should have made this post 3 weeks ago when I first started having issues.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
BWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you ever thought of trying the M/T Pro bracket radial?
BWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

According to MT, the PBR tire is not a good choice for marginal tracks. The PBR is better than their pre-existing street/drag radial on an OK track, but will not perform like a bias on a marginal track.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote