HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
boostedf22c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Lack of NHRA support for Sportsman @ INDY

Personally I always look forward to watching Stock/SuperStock class go down. I think that could be promoted and I think people would really enjoy it if they knew about it.

The rest of the show, how you qualify, dial in, eliminator, etc. people just aren't interested in.

A casual fan will never understand how a 13 second truck is the #1 qualifier when there are 8 second cars in the class. And how that 13 second truck and beat an 8 second car in eliminations.

I'm not knocking it, just giving a bit of a different perspective as someone that didn't grow up around this type of racing. I love it, but I can see why it's not popular.

I've given up trying to explain Comp to my friends and family. I get confused trying to explain it.
boostedf22c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:42 AM   #12
BOB KIRKBRIDE

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts

NHRA is crapping on the sportsman racers as usual! I went to NHRA.com to check the schedule the last few races. Just look at it! You would never know that sportsman racers were even there! For Indy, all they show is TAD, TA/FC and then the Pros. There is no mention that sportsman racers PROBABLY start at 8 AM. I don;t know. Plus, you would think that the ALL ACCESS would cover the WHOLE race but at least we have the audiocast or so they say. This is such bull****!
BOB KIRKBRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 AM   #13
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Unhappy Re: Lack of NHRA support for Sportsman @ INDY

Sign of things to come I guess guys. I noticed today that the IHRA web site is no longer working. There hasn't been a Drag Review Magazine all year. There is absolutely no place you can go anymore to find results for the Sportsman Pro Am races. Hell they don't even email anything any more. At least NHRA still has the National Dragster. As I said, sign of the times I guess. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:48 AM   #14
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Exclamation Re: Lack of NHRA support for Sportsman @ INDY

Official schedule for Indy:

http://www.nhra.com/schedules/AllAccessSchedule.aspx

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #15
Toby Lang
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, if you notice in the URL it says "Fan Schedule" and off to the side it lists "Special Fan Events." I'm guessing 80%+ of the fans are only there to see the loud cars, so I guess it makes sense to cater the schedule to them, doesn't it?

If you look down at the very bottom of the page it has a box you can click on to "View Complete Racer Schedule".
Toby Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:23 AM   #16
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

These days the Labour day US Nationals "Entry List" is online but back in the day it was a program handout. Top Fuel had over 75 entries,Funny Car around 35,Pro Stock had over 60. In 1970 Shirley Muldowney raced in Top Gas(AA/D) eliminator with her dual supercharged small block Chevy's called "Double Trouble". Car count was a little over 1500 entries.I think that if people stopped participating that NHRA would get the idea. Stop buying National Dragster for just one year and they will start asking questions. Doesn't take long to make changes. I use to love going to NHRA events but unfortunately I'm not the one they cater to, it's a clown only show .CR
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Rusty Gillis

Liked 88 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
These days the Labour day US Nationals "Entry List" is online but back in the day it was a program handout. Top Fuel had over 75 entries,Funny Car around 35,Pro Stock had over 60. In 1970 Shirley Muldowney raced in Top Gas(AA/D) eliminator with her dual supercharged small block Chevy's called "Double Trouble". Car count was a little over 1500 entries.I think that if people stopped participating that NHRA would get the idea. Stop buying National Dragster for just one year and they will start asking questions. Doesn't take long to make changes. I use to love going to NHRA events but unfortunately I'm not the one they cater to, it's a clown only show .CR
I was there racing Super Stock and you never knew when you were going to get a time trial run. You made a pass went back to the staging lanes and waited for your next run. If you had a minor problem with your car you worked on it in the staging lanes.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
What website do you think a spectator who might be about to check out his or her first drag race this weekend go to? Certainly won't be detailed schedule link on nhraracer, it will be nhra.com ticket and info. They do the same on the radio ads too, never any mention of Hardcore Thursday.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #19
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedf22c View Post
Personally I always look forward to watching Stock/SuperStock class go down. I think that could be promoted and I think people would really enjoy it if they knew about it.

The rest of the show, how you qualify, dial in, eliminator, etc. people just aren't interested in.

A casual fan will never understand how a 13 second truck is the #1 qualifier when there are 8 second cars in the class. And how that 13 second truck and beat an 8 second car in eliminations.

I'm not knocking it, just giving a bit of a different perspective as someone that didn't grow up around this type of racing. I love it, but I can see why it's not popular.

I've given up trying to explain Comp to my friends and family. I get confused trying to explain it.
Yep.
90 % of the people who view drag racing on tv are not even aware of any classes other than the 4 pro classes. Not their fault, it's just been drilled into viewers heads since the 80's.

When I try to explain how Stock Eliminator works to people I know I confuse them, even tho I try to put it in the most simplest of terms.

When I explain to inquiring minds at the local tracks what is involved in setting NHRA national records, most end up saying "that's too much work"

My response is: "yes, and that is why very few racers attempt to set records"
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts

When back of the Diamond P vision,NHRA TODAY and other t v shows ,that exposed the sportsman categories,the fans came to the races with some knowledge ,now days nothing and what is shown is the same crap as the previous event,that does not generate interest.Back in early 80,s i remember we where at indy with a k/sa and a n/sa pair of chevelles wagon and a hardtop,did not qualify for the show after class we went to manufacturers midway and received all kinds of product if we had the decal,,the sportsman racer got respect years ago ,dont see it now
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote