HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
dond409

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Utica Rome Speedway

I remember the very first time I ran at U-R. I couldn't believe the burn out procedure. I adapted quickly. It was a double money night. We had just got converter back from A1 had not raced in over a month. I think it was early October. I think there was 8 or 9 stock elim cars. Notables were Bill Plage and Baker & Evans. Any ways I worked my way through eliminations to the semi finals I ended up againist Plage. In time trails he was going -.2 to .3 under I was +.2. I was a G/SA he was a J/SA. I had to give him the spot. Well I won the round. Man was he mad. Went to the tower and talked to Tiny Baker. Who promptly came to see with Bill in tow. Tiny says to the both of us, "It's up to this gentle man here. If he want's a rerun. We do one." I declined. Wow did Bill throw a fit. I little while later Dan Shula came up to me a said that won't happen in the final. I had to run the Baker and Evans E/S camaro in the Finals. Dan was the driver. I tried to get out on them, but I red lite. I won 75 bucks that night. The race before this one was at Spencer Speedway. I went to the finals that night too. I broke the tranny in the burnout box. That was why I had just got the converter back. Man those were the days
dond409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #22
Dusters340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everybody,
First time on this site. It caught my eye when I seen comments about Utica/Rome dragstrip. I now own a car that I beleive ran there quit a bit. I bought this car off the 2nd owner who told me it was raced here. I live at Plain City, Oh. which he does also now. He's from New York, around this area, and had stored this car for some 20 yrs. w/ 27,000 original miles. It's a 72' 340 Duster, 4 spd. w/ tawny gold paint (looks brown). Anyway, I was hoping someone on this site may have seen this car, or knows who may be the original owner. Like to know more about it, and what's been done to the engine. It had 5.38 gears, cluster of sun gauges, M/T finned valve covers, tow plates, firestone 500 slicks in trunk, 15 x 8 cragars, and rubber mat floor. Time slips from Utica/Rome running 8.20's, 8.30's found in glove box. Hope to hear from someone that's seen this car. I'll try to add some pic's, which also had 5 class winner decal on pop-out window. Unable to send pic's , files are too big right now, will try later.
Thanks, Terry
Dusters340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #23
Dusters340

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone,
I was able to down size my photo's of the Duster from around this area. Well kinda, these are photo's of my original photo's days after I bought the car, a little fuzzy, but you can see the car. The color is call Tawny Gold, which is a brownish green, almost army green with gold metallic. No alteration other than, I believe super stock springs with offset hangers for the larger tires. Maybe someone has seen this car at the track.
Thanks, Terry

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7368.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	7799

Name:	IMG_7369.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	7800

Name:	IMG_7370.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	7801
Dusters340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #24
Charrlie_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran U-R once, around 1963-1964. Had a 63 Galaxie with a 289 stocker. Some NY tracks I ran were:
Utica-Rome
Esta
North Hudson
South Glens falls
Jacksons Dragway
And a couple of tracks in the Rochester area, can't remember their names. One might have been Spencer, the name is familiar, but can't plce the location.
Charrlie_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #25
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Charlie, Spencer is still there. Has had a few name changes. I went when I think it was Apple Valley. 1/10 mile I think on the side of a speed way. Left Lane had a dip. cool looking wheelies thru it.
Empire Dragway was NYIRP till last year. It was formerly motorcity dragway I think before NYIRP. nice track that had a IHRA National for over 10 years.
Any word on Utica Rome working on reopenning a drag strip. I know they could use the work in Utica area.
Chris O'K.

Duster looks real nice. enjoy it.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #26
Charrlie_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forgot all about Long Island being part of NY . I have a "record" certificate from National Speedway dated 5-2-71 for QO (Q optional stock). It is signed by Rick Stewart.
Charrlie_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #27
fatdsoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Utica Rome Speedway

Don't forget Fulton, NY. An 1/8th mile strip that was also alongside an oval. I thinsk it ran Friday night. Round robin time trials. Very few big name cars but lotsa fun. I flat towed a '64 Plymouth Fury from Syracuse to run in the early '70's. Then we would run ESTA on Sunday.
fatdsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 PM   #28
georgep3689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seeking Photos or video for Utica Rome/ Esta and Fulton Speedway form the late 60s to mid 70s
Thanks
georgep3689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #29
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah, anybody have photos or stories about Fulton that they can share?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #30
georgep3689

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ss wannabe
I have drag racing results/articles for Fulton from 1968 through 1971 of what was published in the newspaper which werent many. I can hook you up if needed. I have located the niece of the original owner/operator. no response back. there are a few guys still around who raced there.
georgep3689 is offline   Reply With Quote