HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default new technoloy, older technology

Each month several automotive trade magazines arrive in the shop mail.

Today I was looking over the latest 2015 Corvette engine details. Whew, high tech by buckets full.

Then the thought came to me, there will be a day when we have automotive clubs who specialize in antique automotive engine's, you know, like 327 & 350 small blocks and such items. Maybe a sub category older designed carburetors and point type distributors.

There are already antique tractor clubs, steam engine powered clubs, just as well be an antique automotive engines club.

We will have the engines set up on portable stands to test run and show off.

Might even make different classes for solid lifters and hydraulic lifters.

A contest to see which engine can idle the slowest.

And of course, a special section for flat head engines.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: new technoloy, older technology

Don't forget the Redheaded Stepchild aka carbureted small block Ford..

Dale
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Dale, all old engines welcome
Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Larry, it is interesting that you used the GM engine as an example of current high tech in as much as it is one of the lowest tech modern engine designs. It is somewhat amazing that GM is able to get such high HP to CID numbers from a production engine that still has an archaic pushrod/rocker arm design operating only 2 valves per cylinder in an in-line wedge chamber. Think of all the time and energy that has gone into pushrod engine design; hemi, semi-hemi, canted valve, splayed valve, twisted wedge, ad nausem, and then see that the most modern hi-po GM engine has the same geometry as the 1955 265. Yeah, there are all the latest tricks like electronics galore, variable valve timing, direct injection, exotic materials, optimized flow and CNC machining. But, in reality, the latest Corvette LT4 isn't terribly far from the original SBC (or SBF, or small block Chrysler, AMC etc, etc.)
Contrast that design with nearly any foreign engine from Japan, Germany or Italy, and more lately with the Ford Modular engine family and the GM stuff looks very dated in it's basic design. When do you suppose a pushrod engine last came out of any of the foreign companies? I think that even Honda lawnmowers have an overhead cam.
All that being said, it is surprising at how far GM has been able to bring that basic design and keep pace with the more "advanced" designs. There must be an economic reason to stick with the single cam inline wedge design, and it sure has to be more popular with the aftermarket crowd. I always wondered how expensive it must be to try a new cam profile on a Cobra Jet engine. It is bad enough buying one camshaft let alone four. But think of the money you save in valve springs!
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Bill,

good comments and good catch. I did consider the automotive market offers many designs more exotic than Chevrolet.

To keep it simple [no pun intended] I expect the majority of readers/posters on this site trend to a basic package.

However, the movement has begun to more modern systems. Example the "new" factory hot rods and other EFI packages. At some point in the future today's high tech will be as common as the 60's - 70's cars we know so well.

Makes me curious what another 50 years of automotive development will bring.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Bernie Cunningham

Liked 53 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Larry, it is interesting that you used the GM engine as an example of current high tech in as much as it is one of the lowest tech modern engine designs. It is somewhat amazing that GM is able to get such high HP to CID numbers from a production engine that still has an archaic pushrod/rocker arm design operating only 2 valves per cylinder in an in-line wedge chamber. Think of all the time and energy that has gone into pushrod engine design; hemi, semi-hemi, canted valve, splayed valve, twisted wedge, ad nausem, and then see that the most modern hi-po GM engine has the same geometry as the 1955 265. Yeah, there are all the latest tricks like electronics galore, variable valve timing, direct injection, exotic materials, optimized flow and CNC machining. But, in reality, the latest Corvette LT4 isn't terribly far from the original SBC (or SBF, or small block Chrysler, AMC etc, etc.)
Contrast that design with nearly any foreign engine from Japan, Germany or Italy, and more lately with the Ford Modular engine family and the GM stuff looks very dated in it's basic design. When do you suppose a pushrod engine last came out of any of the foreign companies? I think that even Honda lawnmowers have an overhead cam.
All that being said, it is surprising at how far GM has been able to bring that basic design and keep pace with the more "advanced" designs. There must be an economic reason to stick with the single cam inline wedge design, and it sure has to be more popular with the aftermarket crowd. I always wondered how expensive it must be to try a new cam profile on a Cobra Jet engine. It is bad enough buying one camshaft let alone four. But think of the money you save in valve springs!
Good one, Bill !
Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #7
SST3193

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsinger View Post
Makes me curious what another 50 years of automotive development will bring.
Fully Electric!
SST3193 is offline   Reply With Quote