HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2024, 04:07 PM   #1

Liked 535 Times in 120 Posts
Default Opportunity for NHRA

I don’t normally comment on what NHRA does or doesn’t do but after the registration mess this morning I think NHRA has an opportunity to capitalize on this computer malfunction and meet their goal of making more money and meet the Sportsman racers goal of an increased quota for Gator Nationals. With the Baby Gators the week before an almost full field of Sportsman racers is already on the property. If registration was reopened and a full field of the 6 Sportsman categories was accepted the minimum amount of income to NHRA would be in excess of $100,000.00. This is only car & driver, it does not include the first crew member. Divisional event crew is already there. On Monday one qualifying run, Tuesday first round and then on Thursday car count is back to normal and schedule is as normal for the National event. I think something along these lines would be a win/win for everybody. Pros don’t normally show up until Wednesday so not much of a conflict there.

Any other ideas out there? I’m pretty sure this is an exercise in futility but I was bored. Mike McMahan 2543 G//SA
4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:55 PM   #2
TOSTO RACING

Liked 477 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: Opportunity for NHRA

Its a great idea, but obviously NHRA isn't concerned about making more money all the people they turn away all the time.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #3
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

You are assuming that every car that is going to the Gators is already going to be at the baby gators. I would assume that most are but there is surly some that aren't so they would need to show up at least 3 days sooner than needed.

Don't worry if the higher ups at NHRA want to make more money they will find a new fee to tack on.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:21 PM   #4
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,529 Times in 1,975 Posts

I heard this today and I think it has some merit. Have the winner and runner up of each class of SS and Stock at the baby Gators receive an automatic entry to the Gators, of course they would have to pay the entry fee. So if you were on the outside looking in it would give the racer one more chance to be in the Gators. It might also have an effect on the AHFS.
Just thinking out loud.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:01 PM   #5
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,022 Times in 309 Posts

I believe at the Baby Gators in between the Gators they do a Pro Test Session, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Some of the things also to look at, not everyone who's running the BG and Gators cane take that additional time off from work, I know a few who lock their selves in their MH for 3 days to work on a laptop or some fly home for a couple days of work while flying back Wed Night / Thursday, I know it seems like most or all are retired. You have to also look at the staff, I know you mentioned they are already there....well you have to think some of these guys the NHRA is a PT gig for them and have real jobs Mon to Thurs and come in to work on the weekends. I can tell you in D1, we have 4-5 guys who work FT jobs in between coming to work for NHRA.

Like anything, you're going to make some people happy and others not happy, there is no doubt with an additional round being added to the mix you'll prob see 1st round Thursday Night after 2 Time Runs in the AM, this way they can keep on track with the TV times.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:09 PM   #6
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

What you are suggesting is similar to Golf, Tennis, and other individual sports. They have play-in tournaments/matches where someone who doesn't have an exemption to the main event can win their way in. You see it at every Grand Slam tennis tournament and every Golf Major (I think). In addition, every National Event field should be 64 cars if possible, 128 at Indy. Does NHRA like bye runs?

NHRA could really improve its product by taking cues from more popular sports.

Last edited by Mike Schwartz; 01-05-2024 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 03:20 PM   #7
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 504 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4543 View Post
I don’t normally comment on what NHRA does or doesn’t do but after the registration mess this morning I think NHRA has an opportunity to capitalize on this computer malfunction and meet their goal of making more money and meet the Sportsman racers goal of an increased quota for Gator Nationals. With the Baby Gators the week before an almost full field of Sportsman racers is already on the property. If registration was reopened and a full field of the 6 Sportsman categories was accepted the minimum amount of income to NHRA would be in excess of $100,000.00. This is only car & driver, it does not include the first crew member. Divisional event crew is already there. On Monday one qualifying run, Tuesday first round and then on Thursday car count is back to normal and schedule is as normal for the National event. I think something along these lines would be a win/win for everybody. Pros don’t normally show up until Wednesday so not much of a conflict there.

Any other ideas out there? I’m pretty sure this is an exercise in futility but I was bored. Mike McMahan 2543 G//SA
Rule #1 Nhra doesn’t care about sportsman racers
Rule #2 Nhra doesn’t care about sportsman opinions
Rule #3 see rule #1 and rule #2
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote